‘Accidental Unplug’ Message - Am I Doing Something Wrong When Finished with a Charge?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
When I unplug my L1 Ford Mobile Charger (i.e. charging from a 120v outlet at home), I keep getting an Accidental Unplug message in the FordPass app.

I don’t have a charging schedule set, I just unplug it when I reach a charge I am comfortable with. Am I supposed to press that button in the charge port area? I thought that only locks the charger in/releases it, and is only technically necessary with L3 charging.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I am not doing the equivalent of cutting a PC’s power instead of properly hitting shutdown on my Mach-E, if I am in fact forgetting to do something. I do unplug from the car first before unplugging the Ford Mobile Charger from the 120v outlet.

I have not had this occur on L2 chargers.

Below is a screenshot of the FordPass notification I get:

Ford Mustang Mach-E ‘Accidental Unplug’ Message - Am I Doing Something Wrong When Finished with a Charge? B34E8F04-25F0-44B5-B6CC-4DF6AFA7B813
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Nope you should be able to unplug any time you want. I've done it several times now in the middle of a charge and haven't seen that event (of course I may have it disabled LOL).

I usually depress the latch and wait a sec or two for the EVSE contactors to open prior to unplugging but I doubt that will affect that message going out or not.

Reactions: ARK

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am using Juicebox40 EVSE - I just received this same message for the first time today even though I have unplugged from the charge port the same way last 6 days. I got confused as well. I was wondering the same if I should press the unlock button in the middle before unplugging? It was not charging at that time anyway , I just removed the charging cord by pressing the tab on the charger and di not touch the unlock button on the car charge port.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
On my EVSE's (both my Ford charger and my ChargePoint charger) the light on the wall-box is solid blue to indicate plugged in but *not* currently charging ... or pulsing blue to indicate it *is* currently charging.

To interrupt the charge (if actively charging), squeeze the button that releases the catch-hook ... but DON'T pull the cord out right away ... wait about 1-2 seconds and you'll hear the relay in the wall-box click (indicating that it has told the car to stop charging and has also disconnected the 240v power (that relay "click" sound is the relay for the 240v power supply flipping to cut the flow of power).

At that point the car *knows* you are stopping the charge ... so it shouldn't complain when you pull the power cord out.

So that button that un-hooks the charge plug does two things... (1) is that it releases the hook that locks the plug to the car but (2) squeezing it notifies the EVSE and car to stop charging. But I've noticed there's maybe a 1 second delay before that happens.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
When I unplug my L1 Ford Mobile Charger (i.e. charging from a 120v outlet at home), I keep getting an Accidental Unplug message in the FordPass app...I have not had this occur on L2 chargers.
I got the same message once with my L2 ChargePoint. Ran a quick test when I got the car to make sure both EVSE and MME would charge. Unplugged after just a few minutes as car was already at 92%. I didn't press unlock button and got that message. A bunch of short trips since, I've kept the car topped-off at 80% using an L1 outlet with the FMC, sometimes unlocking, sometimes not. No messages. ?‍♂

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
are you pulling the charger out of the wall socket first? Manual says plug into wall outlet first then to the car. It does say to push the latch before removing the plug from the car.

charging.png

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
are you pulling the charger out of the wall socket first? Manual says plug into wall outlet first then to the car. It does say to push the latch before removing the plug from the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ‘Accidental Unplug’ Message - Am I Doing Something Wrong When Finished with a Charge? chargi
I think my issue was not pushing that button first or removing the plug from the car too quickly from the other responses here. I am not unplugging from the wall before unplugging from the car.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I think my issue was not pushing that button first or removing the plug from the car too quickly from the other responses here. I am not unplugging from the wall before unplugging from the car.
Thats what I think it is. I am also not unplugging from the wall. The reference to the latch in the instructions is not clear - I interpreted that as the door/cover not the button. I was looking at the images in the manual and I interpreted them as about the door motion but not the button.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This morning I tried pressing and holding down the button on the handle of the mobile charger before removing it from the Mach-E and this did put a stop to the whirring charging noise coming from the Mach-E after about 1.5 seconds.

I then disconnected the mobile charger from the Mach-E and didn’t get the accidental unplug notice. Success, I thought, but weirdly it still came through about 5 to 10 min later. I will try using the button on the Mach-E in the charging port next.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This morning I tried pressing and holding down the button on the handle of the mobile charger before removing it from the Mach-E and this did put a stop to the whirring charging noise coming from the Mach-E after about 1.5 seconds.

I then disconnected the mobile charger from the Mach-E and didn’t get the accidental unplug notice. Success, I thought, but weirdly it still came through about 5 to 10 min later. I will try using the button on the Mach-E in the charging port next.
I thought that unlock button was only for DCFC charge connectors to release?

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I thought that unlock button was only for DCFC charge connectors to release?
If there is a current flowing you generally don't want to disconnect anything, first stop the current then disconnect. My wallbox delivers 11kW and that is not safe to disconnect that's why there is a lock on the plug.

Smolinski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach 3
Country flag
I tried to push the connector for 10 seconds and got an accidental unnplug message. If it reaches the charge rate (80%, etc), there seems to be no problem. Any advice

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Try stopping the charge from the FordPass app before you unplug. I think you are getting this message because you are unplugging while the car is still charging so it is “accidental” as far as the car is concerned.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Try stopping the charge from the FordPass app before you unplug. I think you are getting this message because you are unplugging while the car is still charging so it is “unexpected “ as far as the car is concerned.
This is an old post from last year. It subsequently turned out that there was a bug in the system where unplugging would trigger this message, even after the charge was stopped either from the app or by pressing that button in the charging port, but Ford was able to eventually fix it through I believe a FordPass App update.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I tried to push the connector for 10 seconds and got an accidental unnplug message. If it reaches the charge rate (80%, etc), there seems to be no problem. Any advice
Seems like a one off unless you are always getting this message, pressing the button once should stop the charge.

Also, pressing the handle on the charging nozzle but before pulling out should stop the charge. Typically, I press the charging nozzle's handle, wait a second for the whirring noise to stop, then remove it, I have not gotten this message since Ford patched the bug last year on which this thread is based.
Sponsored