Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Aw, that's sad to hear. Oh well, guess I'll just continue to ignore it. I really would like to experience the different drive modes one day.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Aw, that's sad to hear. Oh well, guess I'll just continue to ignore it. I really would like to experience the different drive modes one day.
You should post your VIN in the below linked thread and see what updates you have available. Mike G might be able to tell you if there is an update the dealer can do that would resolve your particular issue. I read too fast and didn't see that you can't change into any drive modes, ever. Sorry!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...up-info-for-others.10230/page-251#post-615819

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
My 2023 has been experiencing this more than ever, almost on every drive now. This is getting so freaking frustrating. I'll be driving in Unbridled and it switches to engaged. I've found I have to first switch to Whisper and then I can switch to Unbridled.

My original case with Ford was closed, since the issue did not repro for a week. I e-mailed my original rep, but no responses in over a week.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Preface: I have no idea if the experience from "Drive Mode Not Available" and my incident last night are correlated, I'll leave that up to you to decide. I debated posting a new thread about this incident but I don't think I will because I don't want the attention, so this is likely a good place.

I've been working with Ford by submitting diagnostic reports on the Drive Mode Not Available bug and was told that progress has been made in resolving the issue, however last night while returning from Monterey at 8:30pm, just before Pacheco Pass, I received "Service Vehicle Soon". I pulled into Casa de Fruita (it's a touristy place), and ran the codes. Came back that one of the motors was experiencing an oil pump failure. I cleared the codes and got a suspension fault, limited speed warning and "Drive Mode Not Available" repeatedly. The car wouldn't even let me select a drive mode at all.

I decided I would attempt to gimp over the grade stop at a DCFC in Santa Nella, juice up, clear codes and attempt the rest of the drive home. I ended getting home around midnight and the car sounded like a lawn mower (extremely loud) when idle at 45 degrees outside.

Overnight, I charged it up and this morning got in it to pick up my grandmother to take her to the airport. While driving to my grandmothers house I received SVS again with the same oil pump failure. I contacted some people at Ford who told me to stop driving the car and get it to a dealership ASAP.

Opened a case with Ford, have a service appointment 8 days out, and I'll be driving the Audi until it gets looked at and, most likely have the motor pulled for repair.

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” PXL_20230316_142538368.MP

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot_20230315-202744

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I've been working with Ford by submitting diagnostic reports on the Drive Mode Not Available bug and was told that progress has been made in resolving the issue
May I ask, what did you do that you're able to share the diagnostics reports with them? Is there someone I can contact at Ford to be able to share debug reports with them when I end up having issues?

Also, so sorry about the issue you have with your motor. Sounds unrelated (I would hope, or else given the frequency of my Drive Mode failures this would be a bad forecast for me).

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Preface: I have no idea if the experience from "Drive Mode Not Available" and my incident last night are correlated, I'll leave that up to you to decide. I debated posting a new thread about this incident but I don't think I will because I don't want the attention, so this is likely a good place.

I've been working with Ford by submitting diagnostic reports on the Drive Mode Not Available bug and was told that progress has been made in resolving the issue, however last night while returning from Monterey at 8:30pm, just before Pacheco Pass, I received "Service Vehicle Soon". I pulled into Casa de Fruita (it's a touristy place), and ran the codes. Came back that one of the motors was experiencing an oil pump failure. I cleared the codes and got a suspension fault, limited speed warning and "Drive Mode Not Available" repeatedly. The car wouldn't even let me select a drive mode at all.

I decided I would attempt to gimp over the grade stop at a DCFC in Santa Nella, juice up, clear codes and attempt the rest of the drive home. I ended getting home around midnight and the car sounded like a lawn mower (extremely loud) when idle at 45 degrees outside.

Overnight, I charged it up and this morning got in it to pick up my grandmother to take her to the airport. While driving to my grandmothers house I received SVS again with the same oil pump failure. I contacted some people at Ford who told me to stop driving the car and get it to a dealership ASAP.

Opened a case with Ford, have a service appointment 8 days out, and I'll be driving the Audi until it gets looked at and, most likely have the motor pulled for repair.

PXL_20230316_142538368.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20230315-202744.png

Sounds like same issue as this guy: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power-service.24907/

They chased down a bad pump ground (G301, shared with audio amp) behind the right trunk panel, but ended up having to replace the rear motor drive unit for the failed pump. He still had a bunch of electrical issues afterwards and is getting a buyback.

To me, that stalled pump code should be treated like the oil light coming on in an ICE. You should pull over immediately because the gears lose lubrication. But Ford puts up the wrong warning message. "Service vehicle soon" doesn't sound urgent. The oil pump failure codes should trigger a "stop safely now" message.

Good luck, but I think every single pump failure code I've seen has resulted in a drive unit replacement due to lack of lubrication and metal shavings.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
May I ask, what did you do that you're able to share the diagnostics reports with them? Is there someone I can contact at Ford to be able to share debug reports with them when I end up having issues?
My car has diagnostic logging enabled so that I can report issues to Ford. It's not something that a regular MME would have enabled. They know everything I do and where I go.

You can join the early access program, or at least get wait-listed for it, which would give you a better avenue to provide feedback.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
To me, that stalled pump code should be treated like the oil light coming on in an ICE. You should pull over immediately because the gears loose lubrication. But Ford puts up the wrong warning message. "Service vehicle soon" doesn't sound urgent. The oil pump failure codes should trigger a "stop safely now" message.

Good luck, but I think every single pump failure code I've seen has resulted in a drive unit replacement due to lack of lubrication and metal shavings.
I agree that their SVS message is dumb for some of the DTCs. I'm sure I probably destroyed something because I drove 2+ hours after the DTC.

Also, there was a DTC for the oil lamp, but since we don't have one, well yeah...

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot_20230316-073203~2

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I agree that their SVS message is dumb for some of the DTCs. I'm sure I probably destroyed something because I drove 2+ hours after the DTC.

Also, there was a DTC for the oil lamp, but since we don't have one, well yeah...

Screenshot_20230316-073203~2.png

EDIT: Looks like that’s the wrong code description, it’s for an IPMA event data received glitch (BlueCruise or collision warning), not actually oil light. But an oil light would be helpful to have if there’s a pump fault.

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Ummm...is Bridge Battle going to take care of the problem?
Lol, funny.
Sorry about the confusion on my part I received 4.2.2 and the notes are the same as 4.1.2 with the exception of the "housekeeping" or bug fix reference. Since I started having the "drive mode not available" after 4.1.2 I assume this update is to address that.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 075522.jpg

Last edited:

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I am having this on a near daily basis now. Can sometimes change back immediately, sometimes it takes a few mins. Sometimes, it happens repeatedly and I just leave it in Engage. Definitely seems related to one of the 4.x upgrades, as I had zero instances in my first 20+ months of ownership.
Same here word for word.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Lol, funny. No, as I stated I received both 4.2.2 and 4.2.1 for a second time. I have never received the same power-up twice before. Seeing as one of these updates caused the issue, and ford acknowledged some "housekeeping" or bug fixes it's possible they have reworked the update to address this issue. I have not seen "drive mode not available" pop up since the reinstall but it's only been a day.

Has anyone else seen a power-up that was previously successfully installed be pushed back out and reinstalled?

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot 2023-03-17 075522
Are you sure you got 4.2.2 twice? More likely you got 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.2.1, and 4.2.2 in that order like the rest of us.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Lol, funny. No, as I stated I received both 4.2.2 and 4.2.1 for a second time. I have never received the same power-up twice before. Seeing as one of these updates caused the issue, and ford acknowledged some "housekeeping" or bug fixes it's possible they have reworked the update to address this issue. I have not seen "drive mode not available" pop up since the reinstall but it's only been a day.

Has anyone else seen a power-up that was previously successfully installed be pushed back out and reinstalled?

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot 2023-03-17 075522
I started getting it more after 4.2.2

3 times in one 15 minute drive 2 days after getting that update.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I started getting it more after 4.2.2

3 times in one 15 minute drive 2 days after getting that update.
I’m on 4.1.3 and just got done with driving around 450 miles and got it a couple times, seems no rhyme or reason
Sponsored