Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m on 4.1.3 also. I had it happen yesterday, for the first time, since getting the car 23 months ago.
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Preface: I have no idea if the experience from "Drive Mode Not Available" and my incident last night are correlated, I'll leave that up to you to decide. I debated posting a new thread about this incident but I don't think I will because I don't want the attention, so this is likely a good place.

I've been working with Ford by submitting diagnostic reports on the Drive Mode Not Available bug and was told that progress has been made in resolving the issue, however last night while returning from Monterey at 8:30pm, just before Pacheco Pass, I received "Service Vehicle Soon". I pulled into Casa de Fruita (it's a touristy place), and ran the codes. Came back that one of the motors was experiencing an oil pump failure. I cleared the codes and got a suspension fault, limited speed warning and "Drive Mode Not Available" repeatedly. The car wouldn't even let me select a drive mode at all.

I decided I would attempt to gimp over the grade stop at a DCFC in Santa Nella, juice up, clear codes and attempt the rest of the drive home. I ended getting home around midnight and the car sounded like a lawn mower (extremely loud) when idle at 45 degrees outside.

Overnight, I charged it up and this morning got in it to pick up my grandmother to take her to the airport. While driving to my grandmothers house I received SVS again with the same oil pump failure. I contacted some people at Ford who told me to stop driving the car and get it to a dealership ASAP.

Opened a case with Ford, have a service appointment 8 days out, and I'll be driving the Audi until it gets looked at and, most likely have the motor pulled for repair.
Yikes.

I think there are two different issues with the drive mode non-available bug. The common one we see now is probably just a bug from recent OTA updates. However Prior to these OTAs, a few of us got the Drive mode no available notification, but it would also affect the suspension on the GTPE causing it to ride like a boxcar and limited the car to 80mph. The current rash of errors do not seem to limit top speed.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Are you sure you got 4.2.2 twice? More likely you got 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.2.1, and 4.2.2 in that order like the rest of us.
Looks like you are right, sorry about that the notes threw me as they are the same as 4.1.2.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 104148.jpg

Screenshot_20230317-102514.png

Screenshot_20230317-075214.png

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was getting 4.2.1 as I was waiting for my wife. Took a while to download and it hadn’t finished after 20 minutes.

will go back out to car shortly to see if it’s finished. Fordpass says something is wrong when I look at the update section

edit: download completed. It says “you may have seen this update before but we’re resending to ensure some housekeeping features are included to help further enhance your user experience.” It did go on.

translated- out last update wasn’t that great and had issues so this is trying to fix it.

Last edited:

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Preface: I have no idea if the experience from "Drive Mode Not Available" and my incident last night are correlated, I'll leave that up to you to decide. I debated posting a new thread about this incident but I don't think I will because I don't want the attention, so this is likely a good place.

I've been working with Ford by submitting diagnostic reports on the Drive Mode Not Available bug and was told that progress has been made in resolving the issue, however last night while returning from Monterey at 8:30pm, just before Pacheco Pass, I received "Service Vehicle Soon". I pulled into Casa de Fruita (it's a touristy place), and ran the codes. Came back that one of the motors was experiencing an oil pump failure. I cleared the codes and got a suspension fault, limited speed warning and "Drive Mode Not Available" repeatedly. The car wouldn't even let me select a drive mode at all.

I decided I would attempt to gimp over the grade stop at a DCFC in Santa Nella, juice up, clear codes and attempt the rest of the drive home. I ended getting home around midnight and the car sounded like a lawn mower (extremely loud) when idle at 45 degrees outside.

Overnight, I charged it up and this morning got in it to pick up my grandmother to take her to the airport. While driving to my grandmothers house I received SVS again with the same oil pump failure. I contacted some people at Ford who told me to stop driving the car and get it to a dealership ASAP.

Opened a case with Ford, have a service appointment 8 days out, and I'll be driving the Audi until it gets looked at and, most likely have the motor pulled for repair.
Wow, Todd, I am sorry to see you are still having issues with the GT. However, I am betting Ford is grateful your MME has the equipment in it so they can see the history and hopefully get more answers from your GT vs another MME that runs into the problem.

Just curious, since I see you are now over 36,000 miles, did the dealership agree to look at it first to see if the repair might be covered under the EV 8 year/100,000 mile warranty, or did they quote diagnosis first?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just curious, since I see you are now over 36,000 miles, did the dealership agree to look at it first to see if the repair might be covered under the EV 8 year/100,000 mile warranty, or did they quote diagnosis first?
I would assume this falls under powertrain which would be 60k. I also have an extended warranty that was gifted to me by Ford. So, I think I'm covered. If, for some reason I'm not, then I will tell them to keep the car and I'll find something else. That would be the end of the guinea pig road.

Also, in California our 8yr/100k is 10yr/150k by law but that only applies to the battery.

logcat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was getting 4.2.1 as I was waiting for my wife. Took a while to download and it hadn’t finished after 20 minutes.

will go back out to car shortly to see if it’s finished. Fordpass says something is wrong when I look at the update section

edit: download completed. It says “you may have seen this update before but we’re resending to ensure some housekeeping features are included to help further enhance your user experience.” It did go on.

translated- out last update wasn’t that great and had issues so this is trying to fix it.
I actually just got this one this morning. Was hoping maybe my drive mode issues would magically disappear. They did not haha.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot_20230317-075214

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Drive Mode not available” Screenshot_20230317-075214

Any update yet?!?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Haven't seen this in a while, but now that I say that I'm sure it will show up tonight haha.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Any update yet?!?
Dropped the car off this morning. They ran the codes, drove it and parked it based on the dash cam. No word back from the dealer as of yet, but I've been told that they will have the car for a while.

Follow-up: Received a call telling me the car is ready, that they re-flashed an already updated update for the camera, which supposedly fixes the oil pump in the motor??? ... we'll see, but I refused to pick it up.

Last edited:

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Haven't had the Dmna (Drive mode not available) in a while until today:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Also, in California our 8yr/100k is 10yr/150k by law but that only applies to the battery.
Last time I looked into that (4-5 years ago), this California rule only applied to PHEVs. The motivation was that they wanted PHEVs to be running in battery electric mode instead of gas mode for as long as possible. By increasing the warranty requirement, the manufacturers would be financially motivated to put in more robust EV-relevant parts (to reach the longer terms).

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Haven't had the Dmna (Drive mode not available) in a while until today:
Whats the latest update you have? I havent seen it yet in 4.2.2

hack-e

First Name