Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Update - I had a rough go the first week at the dealership. My car sat for four days and when I picked it up on day 5, the customer service rep was rude. Luckily, the manager was on duty and he talked me down from a good Ole meltdown.

He (Will) asked me to bring it back the following week and he'd personally see to it that his EV tech go through it thoroughly. Will made good on his promise. The EV tech found 12 modules needing updated (strange, my OTAs were all up to date - wild that would be back up so much). While he couldn't get the intermittent drive Mode issue to happen on his test drive, he did do all the module updates for me. I'm taking a.long drive tomorrow to Pennsyvlania and back - that's 400 miles to see if the issue pops up.

I did share with the Ford rep (thanks @Ford ) many of the comments on this thread, as well as to the tech and manager at the dealership, including the danger when this glitch happens to someone on one pedal driving.
People, read the thread.

Stop wasting time at dealers for this issue!
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The fix was not part of those updates, it is still not out
I know this is true, but it is still strange that I have received the drive mode error two times, and the last time was well over a month ago. Maybe it is just random chance, but it is very strange that some cars are getting it so often and some are not.

Just a curiosity, I guess.

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT w Panoramic Roof & BlueAssist
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
People, read the thread.

Stop wasting time at dealers for this issue!
I'm one of the original posters to this thread. Updates on experience when dealing with dealers should be welcomed.

Here's mine: the 400 miles round trip yesterday was problem-free. No drive Mode error or any other. I am cautiously optimistic that one of the 12 module updates last week at the dealer resolved the issue.

Last edited:

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
I’m hesitant to respond because I certainly don’t want to burst your bubble of hope. However the updates you mention are updates to several modules in the car that have nothing to do with the drive mode not available problem. Ford is aware of the problem and they have been working on an update, but as of today that update has not been released.

If you have seen the thread where members ask volunteers with FRDS access to run their VIN to see what modules are not up to date you will see a response like this
5BB2B2C2-A25B-4498-8E60-0301C479D5FE.png

and just like your home computer even if you take the time today to update everything come a week from now there will be new updates that may or may not change how the device operates. The difference with the MME is some of the updates take a lot of user interaction to get the update to take. This is why dealers are reluctant to update, especially when Ford will not pay them to do so unless it is to address a specific concern, and then just that module.

When the fix is released I am sure we will hear about it here before most of the dealers know about it. In the meantime I have learned with this car patients is a virtue when it comes to getting things fixed. I have also learned this board is a godsend when it comes to getting accurate up to date information when it comes to these updates/repairs.
Thanks. The 400 mile round-trip yesterday - the first significant drive since the updates yielded no problems. 3 weeks ago, I would had two or three Drive Mode issues for a long drive, and a 50/50 shot of getting it on my daily commute (42 miles).

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm the one who started the thread.
Ummmm ... are my eyes deceiving me?

And the point @Logal727 is making is that if you read the entirety of the thread you would know that there's NOTHING a dealership can do to fix it. They will lie to you to appease you, but until Ford corporate releases the fix ain't nothing gonna happen!

It's confirmed, many times over, that the fix is done, but not released yet.

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
Sorry - I updated the response. I had another thread on this as well. I fixed my response to clarify I was among the early posters on this issue.

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag

And the point @Logal727 is making is that if you read the entirety of the thread you would know that there's NOTHING a dealership can do to fix it. They will lie to you to appease you, but until Ford corporate releases the fix ain't nothing gonna happen!

It's confirmed, many times over, that the fix is done, but not released yet.
Take itnl easy, captain. No need for you to go at people providing updates.

Can't speak to anyone else's experience, but my Drive Mode Not Available issue, which had accelerated to nearly daily and a certainty on a longer trip has not been a problem since getting my car back last week and completing a 400 mile round-trip yesterday. Maybe it comes back if there was not a fix, and I'll share if that's the case.

Re: Dealer - To be fair to them, they did NOT claim that they fixed the issue, but rather that while they didn't know specifically on a fix they did do a deep dive diagnostic and updated 12 modules (took the better part of a day) and asked me to.keep them updated as to whether my issue returns.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Take itnl easy, captain. No need for you to go at people providing updates.

Can't speak to anyone else's experience, but my Drive Mode Not Available issue, which had accelerated to nearly daily and a certainty on a longer trip has not been a problem since getting my car back last week and completing a 400 mile round-trip yesterday. Maybe it comes back if there was not a fix, and I'll share if that's the case.

Re: Dealer - To be fair to them, they did NOT claim that they fixed the issue, but rather that while they didn't know specifically on a fix they did do a deep dive diagnostic and updated 12 modules (took the better part of a day) and asked me to.keep them updated as to whether my issue returns.
I'm just gonna say this one last time. The fix is not yet released. End of story. Believe what you want, but I know for a fact that it's not released. You're essentially advocating that people waste their time at a dealership for resolution. I take issue with that when it's not going to do anything. I don't want anyone to waste their time.

Drive mode not available will come and go. It doesn't present itself daily for most people. Sometimes you'll go a month, sometimes it's a day.

As for the dealership "diagnosing" a software issue. They don't do that. They aren't software engineers. People like myself, who have specialized software deployed to the car, report these issues to Ford via "tokens" and we tag the issues for corporate to resolve. The issue has already been diagnosed and the software fix is done, but not yet released.

Last edited:

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
I'm just gonna say this one last time. The fix is not yet released. End of story. Believe what you want, but I know for a fact that it's not released. You're essentially advocating that people waste their time at a dealership for resolution. I take issue with that when it's not going to do anything. I don't want anyone to waste their time.

Drive mode not available will come and go. It doesn't present itself daily for most people. Sometimes you'll go a month, sometimes it's a day.

As for the dealership "diagnosing the issue". They don't do that. They aren't software engineers. People like myself who have specialized software deployed to the car report these issues to Ford via "tokens" and we tag the issues for them to resolve. The issue has already been diagnosed and the software fix is done, but not yet released.

As for the dealership "diagnosing the issue". They don't do that. They aren't software engineers. People like myself, who have specialized software deployed to the car, report these issues to Ford via "tokens" and we tag the issues for them to resolve. The issue has already been diagnosed and the software fix is done, but not didn't advocate for everyone to go to the dealer. Just giving my experience.

As for the dealership "diagnosing the issue". They don't do that. They aren't software engineers. People like myself, who have specialized software deployed to the car, report these issues to Ford via "tokens" and we tag the issues for them to resolve. The issue has already been diagnosed and the software fix is done, but not yet released.

I was not, in fact, advocating for all to go to the dealer - just that the Ford account on this forum contacted me directly, set up an appointment for me to see the dealer. I did. The first week was a waste because the dealer did not work on it. The manager asked me to bring it back, and they would make it a priority. I agreed, took it back in, they found 12 modules needing updating and they did that for. Since them, I haven't had an issue. Maybe it comes back 5 minutes from now. If so, I'll post another update.

No matter, this was my experience. Readers can take it as they will.

Now, as to your posts, again, all are free to take then as they will. I find your posts extolling all to only follow your suggestions and others be castigated for the temerity of posting is...off-putting to say the least.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Now, as to your posts, again, all are free to take then as they will. I find your posts extolling all to only follow your suggestions and others be castigated for the temerity of posting is...off-putting to say the least.
Obviously this is going right over your head...

If I'm so off-putting by suggesting that others shouldn't waste their time, the time of other people who need service or the time of the dealership then just ignore me and you'll never had to read another thing I post. Yes, I am extolling all to only follow my suggestion in this case and wait for the fix. Don't be selfish wasting your time and everyone else's at the dealership.

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
This is funny… I can’t see who you keep replying to because they have me blocked. But I think I know exactly who it is based on these context clues…

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
This is funny… I can’t see who you keep replying to because they have me blocked. But I think I know exactly who it is based on these context clues…
Yup - they are posters who seem to think their posts rule, and don't you dare chime in :)

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
Why harass @DevSecOps ? He has provided so much valuable information to everyone on this forum, and spends much of his time keeping us informed. When he has to keep repeating the same thing over and over because people don't read the whole thread, I am sure he gets frustrated. Thanks @DevSecOps for all that you do for us! Most of us really appreciate it!

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Well I thought I was in the clear, havent had the drive mode chage in quite a while but it finally happened this morning as I was bringing coffee to the sales manager at the Ford dealership. We spoke about a lot of things and I was surprised to hear that the biggest complaint they receive in service is about the drive mode change!
I spoke a bit with my favorite service writer and he has a few pissed off customer who "want it fixed now" but they are told there is no fix yet. They have two MME's in storage since the customers refuse to drive them until the problem is fixed.

Tony

PolarBear702

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Edge ST, 2018 Fusion Titanium Energi
Occupation
Ford Fleet Sales
Country flag
IMG_0739.jpeg

I took our mach-e GT non-performance to the dealership after months of random messages like this. The error happened no matter what drive mode we were in, weather or temperature. No matter if it was a long or short drive and it happened at least once a month.
We had the latest software update as of 4/28/2023 when it last happened.
Our dealer says they corrected the problem and wrote the following in our report:
IMG_0118.jpeg

"DRIVE MODE NOT AVAILABLE* ERROR MESSAGE. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.

FOUND CODE B1578 NEEDS TSB 23-2021 IPMA REPROGRAMMED PERFORM TSB 23-2021 REPROGRAM IPMA MODULE PERFORM FRONT CAMERA ALIGNMENT CLEAR ALL CODES VERIFY REPAIR ALL OK AT THIS TIME"

Hope this helps someone.
Mine is doing the same thing also. After I turn off turn back it goes back to normal unbridled mode. 23 Premium AWD RR