“Drive mode unavailable” - ??

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Never heard of this with cold weather before; personally experienced it in the summer months with heat or high humidity.
I've had my 2023 Select AWD standard range since November 30th, in Chicago for all 1,000 miles I've put on the car. Lowest temp 9 degrees hottest 62 degrees, but vast majority of the time between 24-42.

I have received this message 5 times now, switching me out of unbridled. The 5th time was just half an hour ago on my short commute from the gym. The car was sitting in the parking lot outside at 33°F for over an hour while I was in the gym, and my commute home is roughly 1.5 miles. I did not give it much throttle, just kinda cruised home at a moderate pace, took off slowly from all 3 stoplights I went through.

It kicked me out when I made my left turn into the subdivision, but again, very chill, slow acceleration.
Sponsored

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
@RedOctobrrr This is a curious development. I‘m wondering if this is a more pervasive issue than first thought…

Last edited:

sdespain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
Had my car a year, not happened once until yesterday when it happened.

NovaMustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I’ve had mine nearly 2 years and 7k miles. Never had this happen until tonight, while driving a couple miles to grab takeout. I’m on 4.1.2 and weather was 50 degrees and raining.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I am about 3 months behind on updates. Do not have 4.1.2. Only received 3.6.1 today. Therefore no such failure for me as yet.
Thank you guys for posting.
I have learned to be cautious with updates since Ford has no real desire to inform us of failures related to updates. The drivability failures, such as this current one, are the most dangerous. The loss of reverse braking(2X) was concerning.
Since Ford is not interested in testing any software before sending it out we will remain Ford's guinea pigs for the present.
I hope I catch this new failure as soon as it(4.1.2) occurs.
Thanks again.

Kevinbringard

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just wanted to chime in with a “me too”. Brand new ‘23 Premium with 205 miles on it. Happened to my wife earlier today, and then to me just now on a 6 mile drive. Not doing anything crazy, just driving in whisper mode.

The second time it happened I got to a stop sign, sat there for a moment, and then it became available again.

Not sure what software I’m on, but guessing 4.1.2 since I don’t have the quick access camera button yet.

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Just wanted to chime in with a “me too”. Brand new ‘23 Premium with 205 miles on it. Happened to my wife earlier today, and then to me just now on a 6 mile drive. Not doing anything crazy, just driving in whisper mode.

The second time it happened I got to a stop sign, sat there for a moment, and then it became available again.

Not sure what software I’m on, but guessing 4.1.2 since I don’t have the quick access camera button yet.
Yep it's been happening to me since the first couple weeks of ownership. I PM'd the Ford account here and I'm gonna follow up with them on more details, though I do NOT want to take this thing to the dealer for them to mess around with it and make a guinea pig out of it, I just want Ford to know they screwed somethin up here.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
FWIW - I did 2 consecutive Sync reboots and this hasn't reoccurred. It seemed to pop up after 4.1.2 so I reported it to the EA team who has responded with some questions.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This just happened to me driving 10mph in 46F weather, sunny. Took me out of unbridled and put me in to engage, based on the color of the icons.

I don't think this has anything to do with climate. I am on the FDRS equivalent of 4.1.2/3. Never seen this before updating.

I did see an ABS/ESP communication fault happen during the same drive cycle.

LinkRS

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just adding to the conversation. I have a 2023 GT Performance Edition, and twice now, coming home form work, this has happened. In both instances I was in Unbridle, and it dropped to Engage. I have only been driving in Unbridle predominantly for about 2 weeks now, and I only made a profile about 3 weeks ago. Before that I was driving on no-profile, and in primarily in Engage. I have had no updates since delivery in early December, had the car for almost 2 months now.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Add me to the list, 22 GTPE, dropped from Unbridle to what I assume was Engage, but it actually said all drive modes were unavailable when I clicked each icon.

A very unwelcome lurch at highway speeds with the drive mode change. 1-2 minutes later, I was able to select Unbridle.

I have the UI refresh, this is the first time this has ever happened to me since owning the car through August 2022. My previous 21 Select never did this either in 13 months of ownership.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This might be a bug.

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Just adding to the conversation. I have a 2023 GT Performance Edition, and twice now, coming home form work, this has happened. In both instances I was in Unbridle, and it dropped to Engage. I have only been driving in Unbridle predominantly for about 2 weeks now, and I only made a profile about 3 weeks ago. Before that I was driving on no-profile, and in primarily in Engage. I have had no updates since delivery in early December, had the car for almost 2 months now.
Almost same except AWD Select trim, and i have yet to set up a profile.

Silver Surfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Came on just to see if anyone else was having this message. Got it again today, and it wouldn't let me select any mode for a while, then went back to unbridled. Temps were in the low 40s and battery was under 40% and the car felt like it was in whisper mode but all modes were not illuminated like usual.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
This has happened to me 4-5 times now. The worse part is that it limit speed to 80mph with little to no acceleration above 70. Also it mess up the Magna ride. The car feels like it's on cut springs. Not fun at all. Luckily it fixes itself after about 30mins to 1 hour.
Sponsored