“Service vehicle soon”: “Powertrain malfunction / Reduced Power” & “High Voltage Battery Warning”

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
Sorry you are dealing with this issue. My MME is in the shop right now for 2 out of the 3 issues (no turtle, but everything else including app messages):
“Service vehicle soon” with
* turtle icon
* red exclamation car
* wrench.

FordApp says:
I) Powertrain malfunction / Reduced Power”
ii) “High Voltage Battery Warning”

Unfortunately, they have updated all of the software and now have tech's flying in this week to test the batteries and see what needs replaced. I have seen the battery replacements happening with others that have had this issue.

Questions and Info that may help:
Can you confirm what your build date is? (It is on the bottom right of your window sticker under the MSRP total (I think).

@zvez provided me this link to corporate contacts - link. I emailed Elena Ford and Brad Brownell and have had calls from Ford's executive office trying to help get this issue resolved.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
Questions and Info that may help:
Can you confirm what your build date is? (It is on the bottom right of your window sticker under the MSRP total (I think).
April 2021 Build Month per my door jam sticker which says DATE: 04/21

April *19* 2021 BUILD DATE per window sticker which says:
SPECIAL ORDER <- the original buyer cancelled; I bought early June
… 04 19 21 <- presumably April 19, 2021 right?

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
My Ford of Franklin service advisor says 3-5 days before they can look at my Mach-E.
(he says the porter was able to move it so hey it still moves.. )

I'll update the forum here when/if they provide any updates on findings, etc.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
My Ford of Franklin service advisor says 3-5 days before they can look at my Mach-E.
My Ford of Franklin advisor called. They are contacting Ford corporate to discuss how to proceed. They expect to provide an update on Monday..

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
The NHTSA site listed two new TSB's dated 8/3/2021. I look there regularly and know for sure it only showed up there some time this week. Could be related. I just had my fan noise during charging TSB applied and it's the same procedure - updating those 6 modules. Hopefully it's as simple as that on your car.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The NHTSA site listed two new TSB's dated 8/3/2021. I look there regularly and know for sure it only showed up there some time this week. Could be related. I just had my fan noise during charging TSB applied and it's the same procedure - updating those 6 modules. Hopefully it's as simple as that on your car.
Unfortunately these did not fix my car. They are supposed to be flying someone in this week to test the batteries again (tech at the dealership has done it). The local dealership updated all modules and is recommending battery module replacement at this point and are running into some delays getting the approval. I am in touch with the Ford executive office, but they didn't return my call this week. They had originally promised to have someone fly out last week.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
My Ford of Franklin advisor called. They are contacting Ford corporate to discuss how to proceed. They expect to provide an update on Monday..
My Ford of Franklin service advisor called with bad news.

Ford is recommending the replacement of several battery cells.
Ford of Franklin needs to drop the battery to do the replacement.
Ford of Franklin needs replacement cells and that's probably a week away.
Ford probably will need to send an engineer to Ford of Franklin to help with the replacement.

I told my Ford of Franklin advisor to tell me if they hit any roadblocks so I could try to escalate from my end. (I spent some quality time in Dearborn in the 1990s/early 2000s)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Ford of Franklin service advisor called with bad news.

Ford is recommending the replacement of several battery cells.
Ford of Franklin needs to drop the battery to do the replacement.
Ford of Franklin needs replacement cells and that's probably a week away.
Ford probably will need to send an engineer to Ford of Franklin to help with the replacement.

I told my Ford of Franklin advisor to tell me if they hit any roadblocks so I could try to escalate from my end. (I spent some quality time in Dearborn in the 1990s/early 2000s)
Sorry to hear, hope your repair is quick and as painless as can be

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
Day 10:
TL;DR My High Voltage Battery array will need replacement at a different dealership

My Ford of Franklin service advisor called me this afternoon with more bad news.
My Mach-E needs a procedure that requires several days of service training.
None of Ford of Franklin's service techs have the necessary training.

The solution?
My Ford of Franklin service advisor said that I need to send my Mach-E to Ford of Murfreesboro where the work will be performed.
(Ford of Murfreesboro is a 33 miles south of Nashville from where I live.)
Yes, really

I was told to contact Ford's Road Assistance and schedule the transfer. Since it was late in the afternoon (nearly 4pm) my Ford of Franklin service advisor recommended I schedule the transfer for tomorrow (Wednesday). I contacted Ford Roadside Service and I scheduled the transfer.

My Ford of Franklin service advisor noted this was the end of his role.

Lastly, I received an invoice ($0 of course) which I am sharing below and presented "as is" I received including UPPER CASE and spelling errors:

C/S SERVICE VEHICLE SOON SHOWED THREE ICONS. TURTLE, REDEXCLAMATION AND WRENCH, ALSO SAID POWERRAIN MALF.AND HIGHVOLTAGE BATTERY WARNING, VEHICLE WAS NOT ABLE TO GO FASTERTHAN 5 MPH. Cause: CONFIRMED CONCERN PERFORMED CODE SCAN FOUND CODES RELATINGTO TSB 21- 2190 PERFORMED TSB REPROGRAMED OBCC Module AFTERREPROGRAMING RETESTED FOR CONCERN, CONCERN STILL PRESENTSCANED FOR CODES FOUND CO P0B24:00 AS CURRENT FAULTPERFORMED PPT AP AP1 RETRIEVE ALL THE BECM (BATTERY ENERGYCONTROL MODULE)DTCS NONE OF THESE CODES ARE PRESENTP1A0F:68, P0C30:00, P0AFB:00, P0A7D:00, P0A7E:00, P0AFD:00,P0AD9:00, P0ADD:00, P0AA4:00, P0AA5:00, P0AA2:00, P0C78:00,P2C89:00, P0B3B:00, P0B40:00, P0B45:00, P0B4A:00, P0B4F:00,P0B54:00, P0B59:00, P0B5E:00 or U0300:00 P1A0F:68, P0C30:00,AP2 CHECK THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE. YESSTATE OF CHARGE WAS 50% AP3 REPEAT THE BECM (BATTERY ENERGYCONTROL MODULE)SELF-TEST NO THE ONLY DTC PRESENT WAS P0B24.AP4 MONITOR AND RECORD THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY CELL VOLTAGEVALUES YES the larger of the two calculations greater thanor equal to 0.100 Volts. AFTER THIS STEP I SAW THAT THEREWAS AN UPDATE ON THE BECM PERFORMED UPDATE FOUND THAT CODEWAS NO LONGER PRESENT TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 5MILES PARKEDIN THE SHOP AND LET IT SIT FOR A FEW MINUTES AND RETESTED ONTHE TEST DRIVE AND THE CODE CAME BACK INSTANTLY. after thisstep co Correction: perfromed battery health voltage got code 0ef7b6 contactedhotline back after performing calculations for medianvoltage and max/min found that hv battery array will needreplace hotline stated no one is certified to perform thework at this dealership. customer will take vehicle toanother dealership to get work performed.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Day 10:
TL;DR My High Voltage Battery array will need replacement at a different dealership

My Ford of Franklin service advisor called me this afternoon with more bad news.

The solution?
My Ford of Franklin service advisor said that I need to send my Mach-E to Ford of Murfreesboro where the work will be performed.
(Ford of Murfreesboro is a 33 miles south of Nashville from where I live.)
Yes, really

I was told to contact Ford's Road Assistance and schedule the transfer. Since it was late in the afternoon (nearly 4pm) my Ford of Franklin service advisor recommended I schedule the transfer for tomorrow (Wednesday). I contacted Ford Roadside Service and I scheduled the transfer.

My Ford of Franklin service advisor noted this was the end of his role.

Lastly, I received an invoice ($0 of course) which I am sharing below and presented "as is" I received including UPPER CASE and spelling errors:

C/S SERVICE VEHICLE SOON SHOWED THREE ICONS. TURTLE, REDEXCLAMATION AND WRENCH, ALSO SAID POWERRAIN MALF.AND HIGHVOLTAGE BATTERY WARNING, VEHICLE WAS NOT ABLE TO GO FASTERTHAN 5 MPH. Cause: CONFIRMED CONCERN PERFORMED CODE SCAN FOUND CODES RELATINGTO TSB 21- 2190 PERFORMED TSB REPROGRAMED OBCC Module AFTERREPROGRAMING RETESTED FOR CONCERN, CONCERN STILL PRESENTSCANED FOR CODES FOUND CO P0B24:00 AS CURRENT FAULTPERFORMED PPT AP AP1 RETRIEVE ALL THE BECM (BATTERY ENERGYCONTROL MODULE)DTCS NONE OF THESE CODES ARE PRESENTP1A0F:68, P0C30:00, P0AFB:00, P0A7D:00, P0A7E:00, P0AFD:00,P0AD9:00, P0ADD:00, P0AA4:00, P0AA5:00, P0AA2:00, P0C78:00,P2C89:00, P0B3B:00, P0B40:00, P0B45:00, P0B4A:00, P0B4F:00,P0B54:00, P0B59:00, P0B5E:00 or U0300:00 P1A0F:68, P0C30:00,AP2 CHECK THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE. YESSTATE OF CHARGE WAS 50% AP3 REPEAT THE BECM (BATTERY ENERGYCONTROL MODULE)SELF-TEST NO THE ONLY DTC PRESENT WAS P0B24.AP4 MONITOR AND RECORD THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY CELL VOLTAGEVALUES YES the larger of the two calculations greater thanor equal to 0.100 Volts. AFTER THIS STEP I SAW THAT THEREWAS AN UPDATE ON THE BECM PERFORMED UPDATE FOUND THAT CODEWAS NO LONGER PRESENT TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 5MILES PARKEDIN THE SHOP AND LET IT SIT FOR A FEW MINUTES AND RETESTED ONTHE TEST DRIVE AND THE CODE CAME BACK INSTANTLY. after thisstep co Correction: perfromed battery health voltage got code 0ef7b6 contactedhotline back after performing calculations for medianvoltage and max/min found that hv battery array will needreplace hotline stated no one is certified to perform thework at this dealership. customer will take vehicle toanother dealership to get work performed.
Sorry to hear about all the issues. It's even more unfortunate to see the piss poor service you've received from the dealer. If they can't perform the work, they should have been arranging for it to picked up and brought to the other dealer. At end of the day they only care about selling you a car, or getting paid for service work. Providing basic customer service is an afterthought.

Good luck, I hope they get your ride up an running sooner than later.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Data Officer
Country flag
Day 10:
I was told to contact Ford's Road Assistance and schedule the transfer. ..
Day 17:
TL;DR Ford of Murfreesboro says we need to wait 10-14 business days for the ONE Ford Motor Company service technician in the area to look at my Mach-E

Quick recap of events to this point:
* Sunday September 12th: my Mach-E had to be flat towed to Ford of Franklin because it give warnings lights and wouldn't drive.
(9 days of mostly waiting with some diagnostics)
* Tuesday September 21st: Told my Mach-E needed to be transferred to Ford of Murfreesboro because apparently they are the only dealer in the area with service technicians with the necessary training.
* Wednesday September 22nd: Ford Roadside Assistance forgets to transfer my vehicle as scheduled.
* Thursday September 23rd: My Mach-E arrives at Ford of Murfreesboro
(5 days of waiting and diagnostics)
* Tuesday September 28th: Ford of Murfreesboro says they are told they can't proceed until the ONE Ford Motor Company service engineer in the area can look at the vehicle

NEXT STEP: Wait up 10-14 business days for Ford Motor Company service engineer to look at my Mach-E

My observation - looks like I'm going to hit the 30 day Lemon Law on this vehicle. This is Tennessee. Any advice?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 17:
TL;DR Ford of Murfreesboro says we need to wait 10-14 business days for the ONE Ford Motor Company service technician in the area to look at my Mach-E

Quick recap of events to this point:
* Sunday September 12th: my Mach-E had to be flat towed to Ford of Franklin because it give warnings lights and wouldn't drive.
(9 days of mostly waiting with some diagnostics)
* Tuesday September 21st: Told my Mach-E needed to be transferred to Ford of Murfreesboro because apparently they are the only dealer in the area with service technicians with the necessary training.
* Wednesday September 22nd: Ford Roadside Assistance forgets to transfer my vehicle as scheduled.
* Thursday September 23rd: My Mach-E arrives at Ford of Murfreesboro
(5 days of waiting and diagnostics)
* Tuesday September 28th: Ford of Murfreesboro says they are told they can't proceed until the ONE Ford Motor Company service engineer in the area can look at the vehicle

NEXT STEP: Wait up 10-14 business days for Ford Motor Company service engineer to look at my Mach-E

My observation - looks like I'm going to hit the 30 day Lemon Law on this vehicle. This is Tennessee. Any advice?
I'm on day 36, just heard from the dealership that they received the batteries (they are replacing 50% of the modules). Targeting completion by the end of the week if the thermal compound arrives today or tomorrow.

I don't have advice on TN lemon law. Have you reached out to Ford corporate with the link provided before? They were able to help get some visibility and urgency with my repair.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

contacted hotline back after performing calculations for median voltage and max/min found that hv battery array will need replace hotline stated no one is certified to perform the work at this dealership. customer will take vehicle to another dealership to get work performed.
How the heck are they "EV certified" and able to sell Mach-E if none of their technicians are actually certified!!! There's been plenty of time to get that training done. Take away their EV certified status @Ford Motor Company! Customers shouldn't have to go through this crap if the dealers aren't holding up their end of the bargain.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Ugh so sorry to hear about another high voltage battery issue. You're not alone though... A bunch of us documented our journies and linked them as well at https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mme-high-voltage-battery-issues.7602/

I went through the same thing and it took over 50+ days to get a replacement for my MME. Hopefully they'll at least hook you up with a loaner, and hopefully the batteries are off backorder now... If you haven't already, DM Ford to help get a case open with their escalated SUV support team.

kparke11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Route 1
Country flag
Hi All! Same issues going on here in California - "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" and "High-Voltage Battery Warning". Dropped it off at the dealership on August 19th....48 days later and still NOTHING! At least your dealership is a little more transparent than mine. Last I heard they had to special order the scissor jack just to take the battery pack out of the vehicle. There is some "testing" going on now but the communication from the dealership is minimal. Needless to say, they have no idea what they are doing and depending on Ford corporate is useless since they clearly are understaffed based on the high demand of faulty vehicles they have rolled out.
Sponsored