“System Off to Save Battery” message on display screen

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Well here’s a new one. Opened my car this morning and this was on the screen.

Ford Mustang Mach-E “System Off to Save Battery” message on display screen 45465559-4645-476C-93D6-906ABC295625

Anybody sent that? I have no idea what that means. The chimes when I started the car also sounded different. And my high voltage battery was at 77% this morning.

The Mach E never ceases to surprise.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, others have seen that. Your 12V battery is low. If your car was plugged in, then you likely have an issue, as other have. You should not drive anywhere without charging the 12V battery, as you might end up stranded.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, others have seen that. Your 12V battery is low. If your car was plugged in, then you likely have an issue, as other have. You should not drive anywhere without charging the 12V battery, as you might end up stranded.
My car was not plugged in overnight. I only plug in twice a week, generally. I was at 77%. It is driving fine today. Bizarre.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car was not plugged in overnight. I only plug in twice a week, generally. I was at 77%. It is driving fine today. Bizarre.
You're making a mistake in a Kansas winter not plugging in. Either that was a false message, or you're about to have a big 12v problem. If you have a meter, test your 12v battery, or put an OBD II adapter and an app on it and take a look.

If you only want to charge twice a week, that's fine, but make sure you're letting the car keep the battery at the temps it wants to, AND charge the 12v battery, when it wants to. Otherwise, you will have a dead 12v and be stuck.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have to make sure your car is locked and it does not hurt to keep it plugged in.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're making a mistake in a Kansas winter not plugging in. Either that was a false message, or you're about to have a big 12v problem. If you have a meter, test your 12v battery, or put an OBD II adapter and an app on it and take a look.
It’s been a mild winter and in the 60s the last few days. Didn’t even drop below freezing last night.

If you only want to charge twice a week, that's fine, but make sure you're letting the car keep the battery at the temps it wants to, AND charge the 12v battery, when it wants to.
What do you mean by this?

My charging situation: I’ve got L2 charging in my garage at home, and I use that ahead of road trips or when it’s gonna get super freezing. But I like “free,” and I have two free L2 chargers near the office. There’s about 7 or 8 EVs competing for those two spots. Whomever get there first in the morning typically stays plugged in all day. So I wait until I’m down to 20-30% before charging because I only want to fill a spot once or twice a week.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s been a mild winter and in the 60s the last few days. Didn’t even drop below freezing last night.

What do you mean by this?

My charging situation: I’ve got L2 charging in my garage at home, and I use that ahead of road trips or when it’s gonna get super freezing. But I like “free,” and I have two free L2 chargers near the office. There’s about 7 or 8 EVs competing for those two spots. Whomever get there first in the morning typically stays plugged in all day. So I wait until I’m down to 20-30% before charging because I only want to fill a spot once or twice a week.
There are numerous posts about people having 12v battery issues. You can set the charge level to the level you are at, plug in, and know that the car will charge the 12v battery.

Given the message, you KNOW your 12v battery is low. I would immediately put it on a battery charger. Or test it NOW!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I plug into free charging at work once every two weeks or so. I don‘t typically plug in at home even though it’s been -10F here lately. It stays at around 24F in my garage, and I haven’t had any problems.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I get that message all the time, I figured it was a software gremlin or perhaps something about the car falling to deep sleep due to the fact that I often can go a few days without driving my Mach-E.

It’s never caused an issue for me, and clears up and goes away moments after I start driving.

I estimate I have seen it at least 20-30 times.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are numerous posts about people having 12v battery issues. You can set the charge level to the level you are at, plug in, and know that the car will charge the 12v battery.

Given the message, you KNOW your 12v battery is low. I would immediately put it on a battery charger. Or test it NOW!
I appreciate your advice - I really do. But I don’t have a 12v charger, or tester, and Ford didn’t even deign to give me easy access to the 12v without popping loose a bunch of plastic trim, so I think I’ll just leave her plugged in tonight and roll the dice.

What’s the minimum charge level you can set on a schedule? That’s not a bad idea to set it to the minimum and then just plug it in at home most nights, just in case.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The fact that the message says “…turn the vehicle off or on“ makes me wonder if the car was left in accessory mode?

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that message all the time, I figured it was a software gremlin or perhaps something about the car falling to deep sleep due to the fact that I often can go a few days without driving my Mach-E.

It’s never caused an issue for me, and clears up and goes away moments after I start driving.

I estimate I have seen it at least 20-30 times.
Wow. The funny thing is how stuff like this is in the software but it isn’t mentioned once in the owner manual. Unless I missed it.

Reactions: ARK

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Min is 50%.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I’ve got this when I left it in accessory mode with stereo playing and LED Halloween lights hooked up to an inverter for 30 minutes. Won’t ever do that again! I don’t even know why accessory mode is a thing when Ready works fine too

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the message that ICE Ford's get when the battery is weak due to lack of driving or driving a bunch of 10 minute trips. Get your battery tested by the dealer.
Sponsored