“Wiping” rotors

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
I’ve been reading about brake pads “sticking” after car washes on this forum and I experienced this for the first time after a recent car wash, although not as severe as some forum members. I now do the following before any drives to engage the brakes and “wipe” off my rotors after car washes and if it has been raining.

FYI, I back out of my driveway into a cul de sac anytime I drive as I pull in to my home front first.

While reversing I switch to Neutral before 1PD fully stops the vehicle. I then use the brake to slow and stop the MME. You can hear the brake pads engaging the rotor immediately as there is no regen in reverse (I could be crazy, but I think braking in neutral going forward still uses regen as I don’t hear the telltale sound of brake pads hitting rotor unless I slam the brakes). I’ve effectively “wiped” any rust or excess moisture off the rotors.

*Correction: no regen in neutral going forward either! Thanks @generaltso ! Confirmed via test.

Not sure if this will prevent any brake or rotor problems but I get a bit paranoid when I see rust building up on the rotors themselves and I use the physical brakes so little With 1PD that it can’t hurt to engage them once in a while.

If nothing else it addresses my OCD about having cleaner looking rotors :). Hope this helps any fellow clean rotor Fans out there!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, braking in reverse is a simple way to wipe them clean.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I could be crazy, but I think braking in neutral going forward still uses regen
I can't comment on your level of craziness, but braking in neutral going forward does not use regen (even though it will still give you a Brake Coach score).
Sponsored