Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Lightning reservation holder here. I completely understand the frustration of those that were looking for the ER XLT trim in the mid $60k range, but for me, it just made my decision easier. I was on the fence between XLT+ ER and Lariat ER. Given how close the pricing is, the Lartiat+ ER is a no brainer (and gets me every option I could want). The higher production numbers and focus on the Lariat+ ER trim (40%+ of production per leaks on the F150Gen14 forum) hopefully mean I can get my truck sooner!
I came to the same conclusion. Another plus is that the electronics (Sync 4) and 15” screen will operate just like my MME. Can’t get that on less than Lariat. I wasn’t planning on spending $80K…..well done, Ford! ?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I came to the same conclusion. Another plus is that the electronics (Sync 4) and 15” screen will operate just like my MME. Can’t get that on less than Lariat. I wasn’t planning on spending $80K…..well done, Ford! ?
I wasn't either, but separately from my Lightning order I made the decision to sell my GT350 before it goes off warranty (the Motor is just too expensive to replace if something happens for me to be comfortable) - likely late summer early fall 2023. That gives me a a LOT more headroom when it comes to Lightning pricing.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I'm sorry but 70k to 90k for extended range and hope to actually tow significant loads serious distance on a 1st generation truck is not what I would count on. At those prices, buy a heavy-duty diesel and keep your mme.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm sorry but 70k to 90k for extended range and hope to actually tow significant loads serious distance on a 1st generation truck is not what I would count on. At those prices, buy a heavy-duty diesel and keep your mme.
Keep in mind that if you're towing with anything, and you want to hit a fast charger, the vast majority of them will require that you disconnect your trailer, charge, and then reconnect. At this point in time, towing any serious distance would be a very long trip. Of course that will change over time.

Reactions: ARK

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve owned an F250 diesel. Drove it for 12 years. Never again.
The total operating cost was higher than a gasoline equivalent.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I drove one of my Powerstrokes for 17 years as a daily driver. The total operating costs were 3 times the purchase price of the truck!

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I wouldn't buy an F250;) I'm not planning a change this year but if I needed a tow truck, I'd replace my 115k mile 2014 Ram 1500 with a 2500 Cummings. My Ram has had no major issues and has spent only 1 time in the shop for over a day, this unfortunately is not my experience with Ford.

Reactions: TRP

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't buy an F250;) I'm not planning a change this year but if I needed a tow truck, I'd replace my 115k mile 2014 Ram 1500 with a 2500 Cummings. My Ram has had no major issues and has spent only 1 time in the shop for over a day, this unfortunately is not my experience with Ford.
My problem wasn’t repair cost, it was normal operating cost. I had very few problems other than a transmission, which back then every Ford truck lost an A4OD at 100,000 miles or so.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Keep in mind that if you're towing with anything, and you want to hit a fast charger, the vast majority of them will require that you disconnect your trailer, charge, and then reconnect. At this point in time, towing any serious distance would be a very long trip. Of course that will change over time.
This is my issue right now, AL, GA, TN, FL trips are not possible for my MME because there just isn't enough fast charging on the routes I drive.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is my issue right now, AL, GA, TN, FL trips are not possible for my MME because there just isn't enough fast charging on the routes I drive.
You're talking about a different issue - availability of chargers. I'm talking about charging an F-150 Lightning hooked to a trailer. Nearly all chargers are not "pull through".

We've driven through GA, TN, and FL - you must be going way into the boonies to not find charging.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're talking about a different issue - availability of chargers. I'm talking about charging an F-150 Lightning hooked to a trailer. Nearly all chargers are not "pull through".
The EA station nearest me is so tight that I have to ease my MME to within a couple inches of the front bollard in order for the cable to reach. I have serious doubts about getting a Lightning in there even without a trailer.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The EA station nearest me is so tight that I have to ease my MME to within a couple inches of the front bollard in order for the cable to reach. I have serious doubts about getting a Lightning in there even without a trailer.
Yeah, some of them aren't ideal. Sometimes I back into the space next to it yet use the other charger.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My problem wasn’t repair cost, it was normal operating cost. I had very few problems other than a transmission, which back then every Ford truck lost an A4OD at 100,000 miles or so.
My trucks are 7.3 liter engines. Very reliable. I did need to rebuild the 4R100 around 180k miles which was about $4000. New injectors around $300k miles IIRC. The rest was fuel and regular maintenance. Fuel costs alone were over $100k.

In the early 2000's....we bought about 18 F-450 with the 7.3 PowerStroke, 10 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins and a handful of Chevrolet Duramax trucks. The only one left are the 7.3 liter PowerStrokes. All the others have long since died and turned to dust.

Reactions: ARK

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, some of them aren't ideal. Sometimes I back into the space next to it yet use the other charger.
Give the length of the truck, I doubt that will be an option.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My trucks are 7.3 liter engines. Very reliable. I did need to rebuild the 4R100 around 180k miles which was about $4000. New injectors around $300k miles IIRC. The rest was fuel and regular maintenance. Fuel costs alone were over $100k.

In the early 2000's....we bought about 18 F-450 with the 7.3 PowerStroke, 10 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins and a handful of Chevrolet Duramax trucks. The only one left are the 7.3 liter PowerStrokes. All the others have long since died and turned to dust.
I had the first year of the 7.3. It‘s reliability was rock solid. Fuel economy was about 20% more than gasoline equivalent, but diesel fuel cost was about 20% more at that time so it saved nothing.
Routine maintenance was a killer. 12 quarts of expensive oil every 3000 miles vs 6 quarts of cheap oil every 5000. $18 oil filter vs a $2 PH8A. $40 fuel/water separator every 18,000. Two $80 batteries every 2 year vs one $50 battery every 5 years. I could go on…..
Sponsored