DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I think the Lightning is a home run. One of the media reviews said Ford had checked every box, and to me this is true. Very surprised at how low the price is. Hopefully the tax credits will get extended, which will make the Lightning very appealing for many.

I personally don't have any use for a pickup but if I did this would definitely be on my list.
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
did you know that somehow - and I don't know how - the following are all true?
  • @generaltso has already read the Lightning's manual three times
  • @hybrid2bev has already written three Ford Options explainers on that sister site I mentioned
  • @Mach-E VLOG and @Liv have already started the "Lighting VLog" YouTube channel, and have posted 12 videos
  • @breeves002 has already found 3 SSMs
  • @Murse-In-Airy has already gotten stripes on his and his wife's Lightnings
  • @SnBGC has already posted a wiring guide to how the wiring for the power frunk works
  • @ChasingCoral has already had his 12V die on his Lightning twice, and it's had special Ford attention paid to it so that we will get the 4th SSM soon?
it's amazing how quick this community is
and @GoGoGadgetMachE has issued tickets to everyone on the thread...

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Anybody know if they set a target for total number of F-150s to sell in the first year (sort of like the Mach-E's 50k number)?
If not, I guess battery supply capacity is ramping up.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
$90K is lower than you expected?!?

I'm kidding - I'm 100% sure you meant the entry price - I'm just being silly :)
You got me there! Well, I was expecting 100K all out! ? But yeah, if 40K gets you in the door without a screen… sure why not. All of them are 4x4 and super crew so at a bare minimum a usable electric truck.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You got me there! Well, I was expecting 100K all out! ? But yeah, if 40K gets you in the door without a screen… sure why not. All of them are 4x4 and super crew so at a bare minimum a usable electric truck.
It has a screen, just 12" instead of 15.5".

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It has a screen, just 12" instead of 15.5".
The dash screen is the 12” right? It sounded like the center screen was optional. Maybe I was mistaken. Maybe I was secretly hoping I didn’t have deal with Sync4A anymore!?

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I haven't seen any mention of pack size on these yet, but I'm guessing the ER one has to be 120kW or so.
Ford Mustang Mach-E ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Media! 1621488473289

Unless my math is wrong, this would point more toward ~200kWh for the extended range, right? Wow...

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Well, I just put in my reservation. Does anyone have any idea on the height and length of the truck? I need to make sure this fits in my awkwardly sized garage.

My wife thinks I am nuts for thinking about a truck this size when we live in the city and maybe I am, but I do really need to at least give this thing a shot. Beautiful truck and hopefully a more cushioned ride than my Mach-E and so much more storage space. Not sure how we would handle our big old Newfoundland in the back seat though and I don't think she would live riding in the bed...

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
This morning I woke up a lot more rational. Do I need an F150 Lightning? No. Do I WANT one? YES.

I have always wanted a truck like I wanted a Mustang. Whether or not my reservation gets converted into an order will rely on a lot of factors. Will I eventually get one of these bad boys? The answer to that is a definite yes. Just not sure if I will be first in line like my Mach E.

A LOT depends on what the price will end up being the way I know I will want it configured. I know I want the ER. And I know I want a comfortable well appointed but not necessarily over the top vehicle. I am guessing I will be at LEAST in the Mach E FE range with those wants.

Pluses:
  • Power my house in an outage - Hell yes!
  • Utility of a truck!
  • Towing for when I want or need it
  • Plenty of room with that cab
  • That AWESOME frunk
  • It LOOKS like a TRUCK and not an overgrown Pontiac Aztec doorstop.

Minus:
  • Still only 150 KW DCFC? Although it said still 40 minutes to 80% on what is surely a massive battery, so what are they doing with that charging curve?
  • Price
  • Efficiency (but I keep telling myself this will be mostly around town vehicle)
  • Need to install another EVSE - and maybe a more powerful one
  • Battery tech and efficiency sure to change if I wait a bit

I just LOVE my Mach E so much that the thought of having that kind of torque and acceleration in a truck is mind blowing.

Decision factors:
  • Price (did you also notice that the big screen will be an option?)
  • What OTHER EV will Ford announce soon? A BEV Ranger or Maverick Truck or Bronco may be a better fit than the F150
  • Technology advancements by order time
  • What Congress does with EV incentives
  • How much better the DCFC network gets in the next 6 months
  • Will my wife like driving a truck (she says she wants to)
  • Can we go all EV without any ICE backup - the Fusion Energi will have to go, but the Mach E is NOT going anywhere
  • Daughter says she wants to go back to college in the Fall . . .
I DO think this is a Home run for Ford. I am VERY encouraged with the direction, and think Farley is the right guy at the right time. BRAVO Ford!

Anyway . . . to give Dearborn $100 while I sort all this out was an easy call. Let's see how this all goes.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Fair, though almost all of the ones I've stopped at are configured and sized as regular parking spots.
Yeah, unfortunately that does seem to be the majority. Still early days though. Let's hope they think more about this as they build out. Especially in areas where someone will probably be towing.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
1621488473289.png

Unless my math is wrong, this would point more toward ~200kWh for the extended range, right? Wow...
I think they just doubled the Mach E batteries.

180kwh usable, but probably 200 actual:

19.2kw x 8 hr = 153.6kwh; 153.6 kwh / .85 = 180kwh

and the SR battery is 136kwh usable, 154 actual:

11.5 kw x 10 =115kwh; 115kwh / .85 = 136kwh (with rounding)

buckweet1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250
Country flag
I sure hope the pictures aren't true.. I saw a center console pic on fords website and they still have that dumb shifter..

I have a F250 now with 4 cup holders which I use to put a lot of random stuff in, among drinks... Why does any modern vehicle need the big shifter lever anymore?

Put a dial on the dash like Ram! I wish we could somehow get this message to ford..

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag