mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If you assume the off peak charging is billable the deal still works for a lot of drivers. Having a WiFi enabled charger fully installed with permit costs and a ten year warranty is probably going to account for 50% of the $38 a month fee; plus you have the benefit of no upfront costs and no hassle finding a contractor.

The other 50% of the $38 a monthly fee will unlock the $0:039kWh off peak rate WITHOUT being burdened with the $0:20kWh peak rate for the rest of your household energy consumption. The off peak rate will offer a per kWh saving of between 7-10 cents depending on your monthly energy usage. So the break even is somewhere bewteen 550 and 800 miles a month depending on your highest monthly tariff you currently pay.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If you assume the off peak charging is billable the deal still works for a lot of drivers. Having a WiFi enabled charger fully installed with permit costs and a ten year warranty is probably going to account for 50% of the $38 a month fee; plus you have the benefit of no upfront costs and no hassle finding a contractor.

The other 50% of the $38 a monthly fee will unlock the $0:039kWh off peak rate WITHOUT being burdened with the $0:20kWh peak rate for the rest of your household energy consumption. The off peak rate will offer a per kWh saving of between 7-10 cents depending on your monthly energy usage. So the break even is somewhere bewteen 550 and 800 miles a month depending on your highest monthly tariff you currently pay.
If that’s the case, not too bad.

But I would be surprised if you could sign up for this program without signing up for the peak/off peak rates for everything else.

Do they know how to charge off peak rates for just charging the car and not for anything else using electricity in your house at the same time?

Not sure how you could do one program without the other.

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@Mach1E
I am just making a guess here but that the charger has it's own meter in it and since it is wifi enabled it will communicate back to them and only charge for that usage.

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
So here is from my Twittering at FPL.

Screenshot_20220504-141547-355.png

I will be signing up in June.

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Still nothing new from FPL on this. Appears delayed even though they selected a supplier in June.

Mach-E-Velli

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E, Premium AWDx
Country flag
Still nothing new from FPL on this. Appears delayed even though they selected a supplier in June.
The program has started. They are starting in Palm Beach County then expanding. I had my EVSE installed 3 weeks ago. They are definitely still trying to figure this out! An FPL rep showed up with the electrician to train him on how to setup the unit. The EVSE is hardwired, they removed my nema 14-50 outlet so that I can't use my level 2 Ford charger during peak hours (notthat I would need to). Charging is unlimited from 9 pm to 12 pm weekdays and unlimited on weekends.
The EVSE is a 40 amp Enel JuiceBox. Pre-configured to report to FPL. You can override the charge time restriction in the app but the rate is over $.20/kwh. Haven't received my first bill yet, but I drive about 1750 miles per month and only charge at home so it makes sense for me unless there are some hidden costs. I should save about $50/month.

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
The program has started. They are starting in Palm Beach County then expanding. I had my EVSE installed 3 weeks ago. They are definitely still trying to figure this out! An FPL rep showed up with the electrician to train him on how to setup the unit. The EVSE is hardwired, they removed my nema 14-50 outlet so that I can't use my level 2 Ford charger during peak hours (notthat I would need to). Charging is unlimited from 9 pm to 12 pm weekdays and unlimited on weekends.
The EVSE is a 40 amp Enel JuiceBox. Pre-configured to report to FPL. You can override the charge time restriction in the app but the rate is over $.20/kwh. Haven't received my first bill yet, but I drive about 1750 miles per month and only charge at home so it makes sense for me unless there are some hidden costs. I should save about $50/month.
Did they say anything about a second or other EVs using your charger?

Do not like the idea them removing my outlet...

Mach-E-Velli

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did they say anything about a second or other EVs using your charger?

Do not like the idea them removing my outlet...
I didn't ask specifically about the multi car charging. They seem to still be figuring out how all of this is going to work. I don't know how "smart" this EVSE is so maybe you can charge multiple cars but not at the same time.
I did question why they couldn't just add a nema 14-50 plug to their cable and plug it in to the existing outlet and they said it's part of the deal. They also lock it to the wall so you can't remove the EVSE.

Mach-E-Velli

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Mach-E-Velli
Did they reach out to you to let you know they were ready to proceed??
They sent an email to 150 people in Palm Beach County (not sure how they chose), and 60 agreed to join the program. Then a few weeks later Langer Electric called to schedule the install.

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@Mach-E-Velli
Thanks - I'm still waiting on getting my car so I probably couldn't get it yet anyways.
I know from reading on the FAQs that it is hardwired - It also says it only supports 1 vehicle at this time - I take it to mean charging one vehicle at a time and they are limiting it to one per account
Sponsored