Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Actually I learned a lot talking to to EA customer service. They are GREAT.

FYI best thing to do is turn OFF plug and charge. Open the EA app and choose which charger you are going to use at the stop that you are at. Turn the car off. Plug in and it will automatically go through the Ford Pass app. It takes about 15-20 mi utes to charge up to 80%. The worst is when you hit 77%. The charger slows down to about 24. I can deal with it since my fill up was a little over $7.
Would love to see a video of the exact steps and timing.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Seems like us MME owners will be the reason EA gets their act together with these chargers. I remember having problems with a new EA charger (Level 2) nearby a few months ago and had to make a couple calls to get it to work, and then it still didn't charge at the full rate. The next month it was working much better.

Really dig you willing to go for it with the potential delays involved. ?

The Drury Inn in Las Cruses let me use a conveniently located wall plug at the back of the hotel for my PHEV when I stayed there one winter. Something like that might be great to top off after 80% or so at a DC charger, and for preconditioning the cabin before you leave. I just took a padlock to secure the cord around one of the wheels overnight.

Last edited:

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Midnight tomorrow we start the roughly 1600 mile road trip. According to navigation there are 7-9 charging g stops and 32 hours of driving. We are doing it in two days. We think Las Cruces New Mexico should be half way. Elevation plays a big part of battery length. Maximizing speed wise like going slows up hill and faster downhill will keep time equal but will also maximize charging. We have two major uphill drives. Tejon pass at 4400 and the are past Palm Springs where you go uphill heading towards arizona.

I will post each leg in terms of distance and charge time. Goal is to use EA and ChargePoint only as they are part of the Ford Pass network
Remember to load up the ABRP app very helpful... have it as a backup to the Ford trip planner that’s built-in

Bakersfield, California ...to.. Houston, Texas interesting ABRP results
Here is my setting..

Ford Mustang Mach-E ? Ongoing Trip Journal: Driving Mach-E From Bakersfield, California to Houston, Texas 61B6085A-EF00-4D05-B554-C4B6BD4D6754

8D2A5CD9-AE4E-48BE-A814-2BF4C591D151.png

506D98D5-4F83-4E04-B34A-B7E2E7039B3C.png

Last edited:

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Actually I learned a lot talking to to EA customer service. They are GREAT.

FYI best thing to do is turn OFF plug and charge. Open the EA app and choose which charger you are going to use at the stop that you are at. Turn the car off. Plug in and it will automatically go through the Ford Pass app. It takes about 15-20 mi utes to charge up to 80%. The worst is when you hit 77%. The charger slows down to about 24. I can deal with it since my fill up was a little over $7.
Safe travels. I see you can turn off plug and charge in the FordPass app. When you turn it off do you then get charged for your charging session or will it still use the 250Kwh that we get with the MME?

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Remember to load up the ABRP app very helpful... have it as a backup to the Ford trip planner that’s built-in

Bakersfield, California ...to.. Houston, Texas interesting ABRP results
Here is my setting..

Ford Mustang Mach-E ? Ongoing Trip Journal: Driving Mach-E From Bakersfield, California to Houston, Texas 506D98D5-4F83-4E04-B34A-B7E2E7039B3C
thsnks

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Charge 3 in Blythe CA. ChargePoint is the only one here. Crossing the desert you have to stop more frequently. ChargePoint is terrible. App does not tell you the activity. Have to turn the car on and off to find out how much is charged. BIG difference ChargePoint and EA. Especially customer service. EA has specific numbers on their chargers so that customer service can go directly to that charger. ChargePoint has to use MAPS. They cannot tell if you are actually charging or not.

fyi. One more thing NOT taught by the dealer. The button next to the charger post on the car is the EMERGENCY RELEASE in case the charge cord does not release.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Two of my other pic did not get posted .. basically seems like a 28+hr trip

4B57B031-02CB-439D-8586-588DAEEEE83C.png

50ED0A91-CADC-4739-A7F8-DF698A3CC5F1.png
It states on the navigation about 32 hours. I think that includes charging. Our average charging has been 15-20 minutes. This last one was from 17% to 80%. It took 38 minutes. From 17-70% it was 100-111 speed. At 70% it started to drop like a cliff. By 79% it was at 74

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Brave people like you and the guy currently driving from Temecula CA to FL are real pioneers. I'd never do it myself but nice to know it's possible.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Seems like us MME owners will be the reason EA gets their act together with these chargers. I remember having problems with a new EA charger (Level 2) nearby a few months ago and had to make a couple calls to get it to work, and then it still didn't charge at the full rate. The next month it was working much better.

Really dig you willing to go for it with the potential delays involved. ?

The Drury Inn in Las Cruses let me use a conveniently located wall plug at the back of the hotel for my PHEV when I stayed there one winter. Something like that might be great to top off after 80% or so at a DC charger, and for preconditioning the cabin before you leave. I just took a padlock to secure the cord around one of the wheels overnight.
So a question. I don't really foresee needing to use a public charger, is it possible to just stop at a charger, put your credit card in and charge or do you HAVE to be registered with EA?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Charge 3 in Blythe CA. ChargePoint is the only one here. Crossing the desert you have to stop more frequently. ChargePoint is terrible. App does not tell you the activity. Have to turn the car on and off to find out how much is charged. BIG difference ChargePoint and EA. Especially customer service. EA has specific numbers on their chargers so that customer service can go directly to that charger. ChargePoint has to use MAPS. They cannot tell if you are actually charging or not.

fyi. One more thing NOT taught by the dealer. The button next to the charger post on the car is the EMERGENCY RELEASE in case the charge cord does not release.
the manual says your supposed to press that button whenever unhooking the charger, is that not the case?

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Brave people like you and the guy currently driving from Temecula CA to FL are real pioneers. I'd never do it myself but nice to know it's possible.
Here is how I look at it. We all know that Ford monitors this forum. By doing things like this they can see the real world issues. Maybe one day an OTA fixes it or makes the drive better.

I can say this. On this drive we figure the trip is about 2 hours longer for charging. Once you get used to how to do it then it is easier. I really do not mi d the stops as much as I thought. It is nice to just sit back and relax.

FYI of course at every stop people are coming over to see Bruce the Grabber Blue MME. They have to take pictures. We even let them sit in the car.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
So a question. I don't really foresee needing to use a public charger, is it possible to just stop at a charger, put your credit card in and charge or do you HAVE to be registered with EA?
No. You can pull up and put a credit card in. I have my credit card in my apple wallet. You just scan it. You can also insert a credit card.
Sponsored