GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I don’t get the 30 or 40mpg in your post are you saying ICE SUV driving at speeds get that crazy high fuel efficiency .. remember you have to compare a vehicle of equal size and type.. can’t be SUV vs 4cly compact car ?
You cant compare a Mach E to an SUV ICE when looking at size and efficiency. Let's be honest. Size wise it's much more comparable and smaller than most sedans. that's just reality of it.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don’t get the 30 or 40mpg in your post are you saying ICE SUV driving at speeds get that crazy high fuel efficiency .. remember you have to compare a vehicle of equal size and type.. can’t be premium SUV vs 4cly compact car ? lol ..i think 24MPG is about right for a ICE equivalent SUV no?
My 2019 Edge ST got an average of 19.5mpg
Ford Mustang Mach-E ? Ongoing Trip Journal: Driving Mach-E From Bakersfield, California to Houston, Texas 1614638645761

On a side note, its not as easy to keep track of your fill ups on this car. I forget to add in home charging sometimes. I need to get more into a routine.

Also, to anyone else that is using fuelly, how are you putting in the kwh? I want to use the amount the vehicle says it took in, but that doesn't seem to be reliable on the app. This morning it said my charge last night used 126kwh. and my chargepoint showed 73. I feel like its started doing that since the app update. Before it would show the kw delivered, and usually it was about 5kwh less than the chargepoint reports. So I feel like my fuelly stats are worse than they are because the loss between the car and the EVSE.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
1614638645761.png

On a side note, its not as easy to keep track of your fill ups on this car. I forget to add in home charging sometimes. I need to get more into a routine.

Also, to anyone else that is using fuelly, how are you putting in the kwh? I want to use the amount the vehicle says it took in, but that doesn't seem to be reliable on the app. This morning it said my charge last night used 126kwh. and my chargepoint showed 73. I feel like its started doing that since the app update. Before it would show the kw delivered, and usually it was about 5kwh less than the chargepoint reports. So I feel like my fuelly stats are worse than they are because the loss between the car and the EVSE.
This is odd because the MME has a usable battery of 88 in the extended range model. It would not be able to do 126 in one charge. Unless you left it running on rollers ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm coming from my Fusion Hybrid and level around that 43mpg range. 10 gallons a fill up, and prices in Maryland (Costco) are in that $2.50 range right now.

So figure, at 430 miles, I can fill up for $25

Mach E, same miles is looking to be $40+ (+time)
Sure, gas is $2.50 for you right now. We'll see what it looks like this summer. Regardless, we need to know the exact efficiency of the MME on the highway in warmer temps to know what it will actually cost, and thus the "overage" relative to your hybrid.

Over 860 miles would it be better to drive a car that is more comfortable and can basically drive itself, for an additional $30? Of course, you'll have to stop more often for longer as well.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don’t get the 30 or 40mpg in your post are you saying ICE SUV driving at speeds get that crazy high fuel efficiency .. remember you have to compare a vehicle of equal size and type.. can’t be premium SUV vs 4cly compact car ? lol ..i think 24MPG is about right for a ICE equivalent SUV no?
Goosepond's post tells you exactly why. Notice I gave a range from 25mpg to 40mpg; my wife's crappy durango gets 24 mpg on the highway so 25 as a starting point made sense. I guess you didn't see that line? :rolleyes:

My point was to show where parity is; depending on what the MME's efficiency is it is in the neighborhood of a 25mpg - 30mpg vehicle at a likely price of $3/gal by the end of the summer

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is odd because the MME has a usable battery of 88 in the extended range model. It would not be able to do 126 in one charge. Unless you left it running on rollers ?
Haha exactly! That's how I knew it broken. I had been questioning it, but when I saw that I knew for sure it was broke. Before the app update it was usually between 5-10kwh difference between the app and what chargepoint reports.

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I am thinking an explorer or edge gets about 20 MPH I owned both. A 2015/2017. The MME IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF AN EDGE. That is also with the bigger engines and fully loaded. Best comparison to an MME

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am thinking an explorer or edge gets about 20 MPH I owned both. A 2015/2017. The MME IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF AN EDGE
My Edge ST with the v6 got an average of 19.5mpg. My best trip was 23.5mpg. I tracked all 21,000 miles and that stayed the same the whole time. The Mach-E is about 400lbs heavier than my Edge as well.

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E ? Ongoing Trip Journal: Driving Mach-E From Bakersfield, California to Houston, Texas 1614638645761

your ChargePoint is more accurate with just minor loss..

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Goosepond's post tells you exactly why. Notice I gave a range from 25mpg to 40mpg; my wife's crappy durango gets 24 mpg on the highway so 25 as a starting point made sense. I guess you didn't see that line? :rolleyes:

My point was to show where parity is; depending on what the MME's efficiency is it is in the neighborhood of a 25mpg - 30mpg vehicle at a likely price of $3/gal by the end of the summer
I agree with your 25.. I just did not get the 30 and 40 ..

BTW that’s great you can get the durango EPA on the highway, that’s actually impressive for a big suv ..

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree with your 25.. I just did not get the 30 and 40 ..

BTW that’s great you can get the durango EPA on the highway, that’s actually impressive for a big suv ..
Like I said, it was intended to show how the MME correlates to an ICE in terms of the "break even" point based on achieved efficiency. Of course those like @eastern refugee who are hitting up per minute charging the cost per mile is even better.

It is actually pretty surprising, but when I was taking the durango to/from work some days to cut down on the mileage on my coupe it would average 24 for the trip (I intentionally reset the tripmeter). I have roughly a 95 mile roundtrip commute that takes about 2 hours so averages about 48mph. Since I haven't driven it to work in 11 months and my wife only drives it around town, right now it's showing 14mpg :(

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Like I said, it was intended to show how the MME correlates to an ICE in terms of the "break even" point based on achieved efficiency. Of course those like @eastern refugee who are hitting up per minute charging the cost per mile is even better.

It is actually pretty surprising, but when I was taking the durango to/from work some days to cut down on the mileage on my coupe it would average 24 for the trip (I intentionally reset the tripmeter). I have roughly a 95 mile roundtrip commute that takes about 2 hours so averages about 48mph. Since I haven't driven it to work in 11 months and my wife only drives it around town, right now it's showing 14mpg :(
Ahh 48mph cool I can see that .. the Mach E should make like 4 miles per kWh at 48mph avg ..

Yeah 14mpg is not too bad for local driving for a nice big size suv like that .. that’s like escalade and F150 numbers ..

But yeah road trips with DC fast charging will be up there too, the true savings are AC charging at home or free public AC charging stations.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Just for reference about why I'm discussing costs. I track every fuel up, ever. Here are my stats for the past two years:

The fusion hybrid only has a 10 gallon tank? My Energi has a 13 gallon tank on top of the battery pack. I guess that's how you get 43mpg on average, whereas I only get about 36-38 when on gas in the Energi - the extra weight of gas and battery.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
My Edge ST with the v6 got an average of 19.5mpg. My best trip was 23.5mpg. I tracked all 21,000 miles and that stayed the same the whole time. The Mach-E is about 400lbs heavier than my Edge as well.
As a reference point I drove a rental Jeep Cherokee from SF to Portland two months ago. It seems about the same size as there MME, but I'm not really sure. Average speed 62pmh, the MPG 26.

Today I drove a bigger Highlander from SF to Portland and it was 20.8mpg. Didn't Creek the final MPH though, but probably in the 60+ range as well.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
OT but just realized our northern route between the west coast and texas takes us along 287 between Amarillo and Dallas. There are no EA or DC chargers (rv parks best you can do) over that 400 miles, meaning you have to go to Oklahoma City, a longer route. Otherwise I-40 looks pretty good outside winter. Hopefully EA or others will see the need soon.
Sponsored