scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
July 4 -- updated with video of the failure (to music from Blippi playing at the time) and some detail on how the 70+% power reduction might feel

July 1 update -- see below for a little more analysis of my DCFC session and messages in FordPass with the new software.

----

I’m keeping this somewhat brief because I have been up since 5am this morning and had a great morning drive to LA turn into the first ever contactor failure with the new recall software (according to Ford). So that took only two days for my junction box to fry itself after the software protection.

My car has the recall software fix and was completely every-module updated in FDRS as of yesterday June 29th. I drove it on a road trip with my family from the Bay Area to LA, this is a little over 5 1/2 hours plus two 20-30-ish minute DCFC stops. There's some terrain as you pass over the Angeles National Forest on I-5 into LA area. I was driving keeping up with traffic generally 75-80mph. Definitely not driving like a maniac and I was in whisper mode.

My car made it almost out of the mountains before LA, about 10-15 minutes after the second DCFC (which was from SOC 55-80% because I wanted the buffer before hitting the mountains) before it failed with a new DTC for contactors. We were almost out of the mountains on the descent when it failed (just before Six Flags Magic Mountain -- for those familiar with the drive).

Here is the failure as it happened. Note I was going down a grade in the mountains, so I did not feel much effects of the drastic reduction in power until after pulling off the highway. You probably won't be as lucky. You can drive at highway speed, but your ability to react and change lanes etc will be very much different than the normal performance you are used to with an electric vehicle.

See photos below with your new, exciting, slightly less-catestrophic failure experience to look forward to -- with some tips. We were able to drive the car on local roads (Google Maps β€œavoid highways” toggle FTW!) for an additional 1hr 37min to cover the 44mi to our hotel. From there I drove the car (after unloading my family and checking in) to the nearest Ford dealership all without turning the car off (see below for tips).

So Mach N Cheese is tucked in at the Alhambra Ford dealership for probably the next week, where very nice people from Ford are hopefully expediting the revised HVBJB to be installed starting Tuesday if all goes well. (Yes this dealer sorta looks like a taco stand -- without the tacos).

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0508.JPG

I have a full video on the fun (until it was not) roadtrip that I’ll be editing over the coming days, but some quick tips on what happens with this genius new software if it thinks your contactors are failing.

You get this message WHILE DRIVING:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0488.JPG

No other information. But your power is then limited A LOT. Check out this power jail!

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0484.JPG

DTC codes I had:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0482.PNG

Note you can clear these codes, and the car will pretend everything is great .... but really it is not. Don't kid yourself.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0493.JPG

DO NOT turn off the car if you get this wrench warning, you have a danger that it won’t turn on again and will be bricked. If you stop the car, much less turn it off, make sure you park nose-out because you very well might need a tow. Drive slowly, limiting power requested, to a dealership ASAP.

More later, but I gotta get some rest now that myself and my family have stopped safely now at our hotel :cool: Yes I had lots of expensive room service.

---------------

A little more from looking at FordPass.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0510.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0511.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0512.PNG

And my two DCFC sessions:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0518.PNG

Second charge below ended actually about 45 minutes I believe before the SVS (Service Vehicle Soon) code:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0516.PNG

Again completely normal behavior we should be expected to do with these cars.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0510.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 IMG_0518.PNG

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
While the software didn't prevent the failure, at least maybe the early warning means we can limp to a dealer and not be stranded in a bad part of town.

I am glad it wasn't a massive disaster for you Andy! And thanks for being the first to help us all learn about this!

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh man! What an awful thing to happen and certainly calls into question the validity of the SW fix! Makes you wonder exactly how much QA went into this whole power limiting concept as a fix for a component issue.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
While the software didn't prevent the failure, at least maybe the early warning means we can limp to a dealer and not be stranded in a bad part of town.
Which means it's not a fix as I've said for months. It's still an underdesigned part and should be replaced.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh man! What an awful thing to happen and certainly calls into question the validity of the SW fix! Makes you wonder exactly how much QA went into this whole power limiting concept as a fix for a component issue.
As my occupation shows, I am their junction box software tester apparently.

Lockesmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
The software fix satisfied NHTSA and did nothing to address the reliability. Sounds like we now have a safer way to ensure our cars get the proper spec contactors.

Edit: I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this problem yet again. I'm grateful that you are sharing the experiences with others, though.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
@scoopman sorry to see you have to go through this again!

I have a nearly identical trip planned for tomorrow. I'm about 50-50 between ICEing and seeing if I get the same result.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Which means it's not a fix as I've said for months. It's still an underdesigned part and should be replaced.
As I said the part failed less catestrophically this time, and in that way probably satisfies the NHTSA safety concerns.

But it does little to impress me as Ford standing behind the engineering and basic reliability I expect in a $70,000 vehicle.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

I have a nearly identical trip planned for tomorrow. I'm about 50-50 between ICEing and seeing if I get the same result.
GO ICE please -- put it this way, I'm going to be driving a crappy ICE rental car now while my MME is at a taco-stand-looking Ford dealer in a distant city.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

On the other hand, hopefully this dealer will fix my car properly -- I'm getting the recall Ford should have done the first time.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The software fix satisfied NHTSA and did nothing to address the reliability. Sounds like we now have a safer way to ensure our cars get the proper spec contactors.

Edit: I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this problem yet again. I'm grateful that you are sharing the experiences with others, though.
I totally agree with you -- but honestly I would say don't drive your car on a road trip if you're not prepared to have this kind of experience. It was a little sub-optimal with my 7 and 4 year olds in the car.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Oh no! I guess this confirms the recall software prevents a complete brick but doesn't prevent failure. It's clear a part replacement is going to be necessary for that, at least for GTs.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
As I said the part failed less catestrophically this time, and in that way probably satisfies the NHTSA safety concerns.

But it does little to impress me as Ford standing behind the engineering and basic reliability I expect in a $70,000 vehicle.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think crippling a cars power on a 75mph freeway at the top of the grapevine, in the middle of no where is "safe".

Ford originally was going to use this software as mitigation until the new version of the HVBJB was ready. We all thought that was the plan until we saw the recall. There's no mention of that plan. It took a lot of people by surprise and a few of us are speaking out because it's not a fix, it's only a way to save money. A car can fail at the same rate as it did before. Now you just get placated a bit.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
GO ICE please -- put it this way, I'm going to be driving a crappy ICE rental car now while my MME is at a taco-stand-looking Ford dealer in a distant city.
It's almost like Ford released the recall remedy notice early because they saw you were leaning towards taking a rental for the trip. Revenge for you changing your profile to GT PE? and junction box software engineer.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh no! I guess this confirms the recall software prevents a complete brick but doesn't prevent failure. It's clear a part replacement is going to be necessary for that, at least for GTs.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 😭😭😭 POST BATTERY CONTACTOR RECALL -- FIRST JUNCTION BOX FAILURE 😭😭😭😭 download
Sponsored