will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
I did not turn it off -- once it was in the service lane it was their problem.

Oh one more thing which worked out very well and I am so glad I did: I hid one of my set of keys in a faraday bag zip-tied under my plastic pieces in the hood. This was very important since I normally only use PAAK and did so on this trip.

But I took out my "oh CRAP!!!" set of keys from its hidden location to give to the dealership.

EVERYONE who uses PAAK should do this.
didn't keep reading if you already answered this - what bag do you use?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
I'm getting frustrated by anyone trying to defend anything else - going to get a Twinkie to relax.
Awwww. No doughnuts, Todd? πŸ€ͺ🐩

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Todd,

One of the triggers appears to be DCFC. Could those extra saucy electrons cause this welded closed condition?
The interesting part is that DCFC has it's own contactors. I'd imagine it's the contactors to the motors that are welding/failing. So... DCFC certainly contributes heat to the same enclosed area inside the battery pack. But it's not the exact same pieces of metal/plastic.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Don't want to get into Failure Analysis to deep, but the "Random" period is in every failure. You also have "Infant Mortality" characterized by a very early in service failure, and all the way to " End of Useful Life" failures. It's immaterial to us as consumers what it's called, our device is no longer operable.
The variation in metals, manufacturing processes, and tens of other anomalies potentially occuring is why some systems experience failure and the vast majority of the population do not.

The 'Random' comment doesn't reduce or add to the significance of the failure.
It's still frustrating either way!

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
At some point -- which is very soon -- the MME is not a bargain. Just wait, you'll be seeing a video soon of my car failing as minivans and Honda Civics are able to make this road trip journey without a problem.

It is completely unacceptable to me to have a car that cost me this amount of money and does not work. Period.
Our Odyssey was returned on a manufacture buyback, can't you just do that with your MachE Scoopman? I would definitely be going that route.

Lockesmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Todd,

One of the triggers appears to be DCFC. Could those extra saucy electrons cause this welded closed condition?
I'm sure it's already been mentioned in one of the other few hundred pages, but I think it's all about time spent at high temperature. People use DCFC in the middle of a journey, which means the box never has a chance to cool down.

This is a totally normal and expected use case for an EV, though, and NOT a "flaw" we should accept a compromise on.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
There are people who've had multiple occurrences of the problem too. I don't think that just happens. There is probably something much more serious than just a part failing.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wait, weren't you the one who said this: "Ford hasn’t made any statement that it has redesigned the problem part."

I'm not understanding. Is Ford promising a new, improved part for any owner experiencing one of these hardware failures? That would be good.
There is a newer part number. Ford has not stated publicly why there is a new part number. I am sure @scoopman is referring to the fact that the superseded part number is no longer available. 😊🐩

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Todd,

From my knowledge I don't believe DCFC causes HVBJB failure. It's as others said, it just adds to the probability. So, I wouldn't call it a trigger but maybe a compounding factor. This is a good example of the recall notice being incorrect or poorly written at best.

I don't think we've ever seen someone get SSN at a DCFC station and if we did see that, it would be because it was welded before getting there and shutting off the car.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The interesting part is that DCFC has it's own contactors. I'd imagine it's the contactors to the motors that are welding/failing. So... DCFC certainly contributes heat to the same enclosed area inside the battery pack. But it's not the exact same pieces of metal/plastic.
That's right... in another post, someone posted the diagram. There are 4 high current contactors... plus a couple lower current ones. 2 for DCFC and 2 for the motors. The contactors break the + and - terminals, no common grounds used.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
The 0.5% (less than 1%) doesn't entirely mesh well with a second failure to the same person. Either he needs lottery tickets or there are still non-understood issues at play here.
Actually, that's not unexpected with that range of failure rate. I'm not sure where the 0.5% number comes from but it is around what I suspected and posted a while back based on the tally of failures including a few who had it fail twice. There are many fancy ways to model this probabilistically, but at the simplest level, if double failures of the sort that Scoop and others experience are independent events, then with a failure rate of 1/200 you expect a double failure rate of 1/40,000. With about 100K MMEs sold you would therefore expect several instances of double failures. If the failure rate were 1/1,000 then the chances of a double failure are 1 in a million, and we'd be surprised to see a handful of failures. Of course, this is assuming the failure rate is constant across trim levels, which we know is not the case. To get a better failure rate would require knowing how many of each trim have been sold and how many failures have been reported for each, but we don't have that so are stuck with rough estimates.

Math aside, sorry to here about this Scoop! As others have said, you've handle these issues with impressive calmness, cheer, and a great sense of community service!

My MME only has about 200 miles on it since I got it only a few weeks ago and have been away on and off. I'll get the software update but will only use this car locally until I get a new HVBJB (at least hoping I will get a new box).

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m just wondering what kind of damage my jaunt up Mt. Shasta into Oregon did to my HVBJB. I guess I’ll see how ling it takes for me to get this limp home mode. 😱🐩