GrayWolf

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT (Star White Metallic)
Country flag
Well, we know which specific modules need updated to enable the new charge curve. I suppose you could take that and ask them to just update those specific modules if you wanted to try again. But hopefully this will come as an OTA at some point in the next few months.

(PCM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, SOBDM, ABS, BECM, OBCC)
Thanks for the list. When I take my car in for the battery module CSP, I'll ask about those specific modules being updated!
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks for the list. When I take my car in for the battery module CSP, I'll ask about those specific modules being updated!
I think the dealer is not resisting because they prefer to work on ICE cars, it sounds like they genuinely do not understand how to work on your car and are afraid to do it. If they break something, they are responsible.

That said, FDRS has been around a long time and dealers should have plenty of experience using it to update vehicles. Todd helped me out and gave me a list of all the updates needed for my car, and I gave that list to my local Ford service department. They did all the updates for no cost to me.

I sort of monitored their progress using the Android widget created by @kennelh (thanks for all your hard work!) and it looked like the car was being worked on for about 4 hours. I am sure a lot of that 4 hours the car was sitting there while the service guys were working on another car, and they probably came back to check on it periodically. I doubt a tech sat in my car for 4 hours while the updates were running. But that is just a guess, of course.

Edit: on a side note, they used my LVB access points! So they didn't have to remove the frunk bed! That mod was worth the effort just for that.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that is interesting, Because that would mean the total pack size is 88kWh. Since SoC is supposed to be the full pack size including buffer. SoCD is supposed to be what we have available after the buffer. Which is why we use that in the calculation.

Unless the Energy to Empty figured the buffer into that calculation already?
The more data I collect the more confused I get. I suppose that means I'm walking the path toward knowledge. Or something.

1644552616388.png

Here is a temperature correction slope for each of four ways to calculate the total capacity of the battery.

The two worst methods are:
  • Energy to Empty / SOC Displayed - orange - this is expected - we know that the SOC Displayed isn't referenced to 99kWhs
  • Energy to Empty / HVB SOC - blue - this seems to confirm what mkhuffman was saying, this never gets us to 99kWhs regardless of the temperature. That means it has to be referenced to something other than 99 kWhs.
The two better methods are:
  • (Energy to Empty / SOC Displayed) * (99/88) - grey - This gets us closest on the regression, but not on the discrete values.
  • (Energy to Empty / HVB SOC) * (99/88) - yellow - This gets us closest on discrete values, but not on the regression.
In all four cases, Energy to Empty seems to be the dominate temperature compensated value. I'll keep collecting data points (I need more at low SOCs, and warm temperatures), and post the whole sheet once there is a bit more sense to it.
So last night I charged to 100% and CarScanner reports I charged up the full 88 kWh battery. See below. I think it is giving me full access to the the available battery now that it is warmer outside.

20220331_124624.jpg

SSnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I’ve got a 2021 GTPE that hasn’t had any updates since I took delivery in late November. I’m scheduled to get the 22S41 recall update done on 7/14 and was wondering if anyone knew if that update would also give me the improved charge curve to 90%. It seems to update some but maybe not all of the modules needed for the improved charge curve, and if it doesn’t, does anyone know which others I’d need to get it? Thanks in advance…

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I’ve got a 2021 GTPE that hasn’t had any updates since I took delivery in late November. I’m scheduled to get the 22S41 recall update done on 7/14 and was wondering if anyone knew if that update would also give me the improved charge curve to 90%. It seems to update some but maybe not all of the modules needed for the improved charge curve, and if it doesn’t, does anyone know which others I’d need to get it? Thanks in advance…
They should do it at the same time, since it's there. But, you never know, so it wouldn't hurt to print out the ETIS info for your car while have that listed and call it out as an open item. I just had both of them put on in the same visit. I had a screenshot of the ETIS site just in case, but they were totally cool about it.

SSnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
The issue I have is mine is an October build so it’s not eligible for the 21P22 update, so 21P22 doesn’t show in ETIS.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
The issue I have is mine is an October build so it’s not eligible for the 21P22 update, so 21P22 doesn’t show in ETIS.
According the paperwork I received, the SOBDM and BECM were updated for 22S41. I think the charge curve is controlled by OBCC, so probably not.

I just got lucky with 22S41 (it came out the day before my scheduled service), so when I made the appointment I listed a bunch of minor complaints I had with the car because I heard that dealers wouldn't do 21P22 just because. My list was:

- issues with PAAK, the car would let me in, but then take 2-3 attempts to start with "no key detected"
- issues with wireless charging
- driver door opened itself 2x when locked
- one touch up/down for the rear windows didn't work consistently

The dealer ended up updating all the modules listed in FDRS, not just those for 21P22 and 22S41, whether that was because of my list or just because they were nice, I don't know. But the plan was to make it easy for them to click update on everything :).

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
According the paperwork I received, the SOBDM and BECM were updated for 22S41. I think the charge curve is controlled by OBCC, so probably not.

I just got lucky with 22S41 (it came out the day before my scheduled service), so when I made the appointment I listed a bunch of minor complaints I had with the car because I heard that dealers wouldn't do 21P22 just because. My list was:

- issues with PAAK, the car would let me in, but then take 2-3 attempts to start with "no key detected"

The dealer ended up updating all the modules listed in FDRS, not just those for 21P22 and 22S41, whether that was because of my list or just because they were nice, I don't know. But the plan was to make it easy for them to click update on everything :).
The OBCC is not the charge curve update and there's no "easy" way to push update on everything. All modules have to be manually updated 1 by 1. Most dealers will NOT update them without a customer satisfaction program, or recall. Even if there's a TSB, if the car doesn't exhibit errors listed in the TSB they normally will not perform an update. Someone has to pay them for their time and Ford will not reimburse them on warranty for doing unnecessary updates.

If your dealer updated things outside of CSPs or Recalls then you just got lucky. Don't expect that to happen.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

This is similar to my experience - my dealer updated everything and I didn't even have a recall for them to use at that time. I did have an open issue with Ford CS for my profiles resetting to my wife's and Guest even when it was just me getting in the car. But they said something like "we update all the software when cars come in".

Todd was surprised my dealer did that also, and I understand it should not be expected. They spent at 4 hours (maybe more) working on my car, and that labor is not free for the dealer. Someone has to pay for it. I suspect Ford did, because of the open CS ticket. It would be really unusual for the dealer to absorb that cost.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
The OBCC is not the charge curve update and there's no "easy" way to push update on everything. All modules have to be manually updated 1 by 1. Most dealers will NOT update them without a customer satisfaction program, or recall. Even if there's a TSB, if the car doesn't exhibit errors listed in the TSB they normally will not perform an update. Someone has to pay them for their time and Ford will not reimburse them on warranty for doing unnecessary updates.

If your dealer updated things outside of CSPs or Recalls then you just got lucky. Don't expect that to happen.
Sorry, to clarify, perhaps my wording wasn't the best. Quite possible that I got lucky, as I noted before, I don't know why they updated everything (or actually if they did for sure), only that the advisor said they did. The thing I was trying to communicate, was that if you document enough problems (all of which were legitimate) it can create a situation where the easiest approach to solving it could be "update the software module associated with this part of the car".

Will this strategy work for everyone? Probably not. Is it a totally safe play to list legitimate concerns with the car and cross your fingers? Absolutely, there is no harm in it. Best case, you get lucky. Worst, you end up exactly where you are right now.

I am aware that there's no "Update All" button in FDRS. Although, as you know, it does update dependent modules so one might get lucky there. You're definitely more versed in the ways of FDRS than most. Do you happen to know which module impacts the charge curve?
Sponsored