Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
Thanks for the write-ups, great seeing this , I too had easy peasy time with the EA charger, did a quick 700 mile trip where I used one in Albany, worked perfectly. Since my phone is not supported for PAAK, a keyfob is always at hand and the remote lock/unlock works well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the write-ups, great seeing this , I too had easy peasy time with the EA charger, did a quick 700 mile trip where I used one in Albany, worked perfectly. Since my phone is not supported for PAAK, a keyfob is always at hand and the remote lock/unlock works well.
In all honesty, PAAK was probably the biggest overall disappointment. It started out working ok, but I've had too many 'no key detected' errors, even after taking my time to let the phone and car shake hands. I've had to rely on my password more than I'd like to. FordPass is still very buggy and clearly not fully-baked yet.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hi @BadgerGreg

What a great trip and what a great review - really shows what can be achieved. Thanks for such an interesting journal ?

Sadly, in the UK, we don't quite have the charging networks you have, but equally not the same distances to travel ........ and no MMEs yet ?

I'm hoping my ER RWD will be here in a few weeks with the one of the first batch of deliveries to the UK, and then I'll try a few trips here ?

Thanks again and kind regards
David
Best of luck getting your car soon, and I hope the charging networks keep up with your needs!

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When we do our 1800 mile road trip to Arizona later this year, we plan to stay at Hilton properties. Did you do anything special to verify that the Hilton locations have destination chargers before you picked a hotel?

Also, curious if you’ve given any thought for the Tesla to J1772 adapter to open up Tesla destination chargers when venturing beyond fast charging coverage areas?
I use PlugShare to explore the map of a place I'm visiting; these maps appear to be very up-to-date. If you know the location of the Hilton property, use PlugShare to see if there are chargers there. Keep in mind that a hotel may only have a small handful of chargers; if you arrive late, you may not get a spot. I doubt the hotel will reserve a charger for you. It's honestly like rolling the dice for each stay. If you have more than one night there, you'll probably be able to get some charging time. If you're only there overnight, you may end up getting nothing.

I've purchased a Tesla adapter, as I'm quite sure I'll encounter a few Tesla destination chargers in my future travels. Since the Tesla destination chargers are really popular hardware, my guess is that you'll have scenarios where it is the only charger available to you.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Also, curious if you’ve given any thought for the Tesla to J1772 adapter to open up Tesla destination chargers when venturing beyond fast charging coverage areas?
I am finding most hotel websites will list charging station(s) as an amenity these days. At least, the major chains. I, also, agree that Plugshare is very reliable when it comes to finding chargers. Especially, new ones as there are EV owners who just love finding and checking them out. :)
Sponsored