1.6.0 reverted back to 1.4.0

elbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e awd x
Country flag
Got an OTA update to 1.6.0 a few weeks ago them after the Nov. 28 interuption of service I am back to 1.4.0 ...confused
Ford Mustang Mach-E 1.6.0 reverted back to 1.4.0 Screenshot_20211129-091544_FordPass
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It didn't revert. Ford just is really dumb on how they're naming updates now. It makes absolutely no sense.

You got 1.6 which is a GWM update, then it did 1.4 after that which is a TCU update. They're separate updates. So you got both, that's good.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
It didn't revert. Ford just is really dumb on how they're naming updates now. It makes absolutely no sense.

You got 1.6 which is a GWM update, then it did 1.4 after that which is a TCU update. They're separate updates. So you got both, that's good.
What's silly is that when you look up software version, it just says 1.4. So it's logical for someone to think 1.6 is a later revision.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
What's silly is that when you look up software version, it just says 1.4. So it's logical for someone to think 1.6 is a later revision.
I agree 100%. They're idiots. It doesn't make sense.

They need to get their shit together and figure out how to make the updates make sense but they haven't done that yet.

I've been a Ford guy for a long time and like what they're doing but my confidence in them has been shattered by the Mach E and 2021 F150 and their software/OTA abilities they've touted. It is really bad. Granted they have made a LOT of progress since Mach E day 1 but theres a ways to go.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I agree 100%. They're idiots. It doesn't make sense.

They need to get their shit together and figure out how to make the updates make sense but they haven't done that yet.

I've been a Ford guy for a long time and like what they're doing but my confidence in them has been shattered by the Mach E and 2021 F150 and their software/OTA abilities they've touted. It is really bad. Granted they have made a LOT of progress since Mach E day 1 but theres a ways to go.
I think calling then idiots is too harsh. Seems like a classic case of marketing vs reality to me. There is what they want to do and what they are able to accomplish in the time frame they have. I'm sure the engineers are doing the best they can with their resources as they figure out how to do this brand new thing (to them). Hopefully Ford is putting the pedal to the metal on improving OTA updates. They really did market it like the updates would be like tesla. Never having to go to a dealer for updates, getting updates for bug fixes whether your car currently has the symptoms or not, etc.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I think calling then idiots is too harsh. Seems like a classic case of marketing vs reality to me. There is what they want to do and what they are able to accomplish in the time frame they have. I'm sure the engineers are doing the best they can with their resources as they figure out how to do this brand new thing (to them). Hopefully Ford is putting the pedal to the metal on improving OTA updates. They really did market it like the updates would be like tesla. Never having to go to a dealer for updates, getting updates for bug fixes whether your car currently has the symptoms or not, etc.
I think the engineers aren't the idiots. I do believe they are doing their best - it's the management. They don't have any sense of direction because they don't have the right people managing it. They have a vision but no idea how to execute it so then we get this fragmented crap.

They have 8 open positions for OTA engineers right now...That tells me something there.

For the record - I'm an outsider looking in and don't think I could do any better. Just my opinion.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have a feeling that 1.4 got paused for a bit, and they may have resumed sending it out. I had heard a rumor that there was an early OTA that got put on hold for an unknown reason, and this one may have been it. Possible it had something to do with SecuriAlert.

My GT obviously didn't get this update, but yesterday SecuriAlert became available to me on it. It wasn't there before, and when I opened FordPass it popped up that it was active and showed me the 3 screen walkthrough.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think the engineers aren't the idiots. I do believe they are doing their best - it's the management. They don't have any sense of direction because they don't have the right people managing it. They have a vision but no idea how to execute it so then we get this fragmented crap.

They have 8 open positions for OTA engineers right now...That tells me something there.

For the record - I'm an outsider looking in and don't think I could do any better. Just my opinion.
Yeah, we are both definitely looking from a place of ignorance as we don't know the inside baseball.

OP
OP

elbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e awd x
Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up. It is a really silly numbering convention especially for us new ford owners who have not dealt with this sort of thing before.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I had the both 1.4 and 1.6 come OTA to my MME this week. Mind telling me what GWM and TCU stand for?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I had the both 1.4 and 1.6 come OTA to my MME this week. Mind telling me what GWM and TCU stand for?
Ron said it. TCU is the cell modem, GWM is the network switch essentially. Also handles OTA updates.
Sponsored