TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For the Lightning, Ford is giving dealers 10% if they follow all of the rules, so that is $5k to almost $10k per truck.
First time I've heard that. How, that's huge! This is after they impose the MSRP fixed price policy, right? I wonder how much US MSRP's will get jacked up to cover that?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is starting to make more sense now. If Ford is paying them 3.1% for "EV Compliance", then it sounds like Ford is really the one funding most of these dealer requirements. That alone could cover the onerous requirement for DCFC. If a dealer sells 100 EVs/yr at $60k avg, 3.1% back on that is $186k in Ford kickback, per year ($558k over 3 years). Way more as EV production and sales ramp up.

I suspected that could be why so many dealers signed on, because Ford is paying them to do it. Now it's starting to make more sense. And of course that 3.1% is surely passed onto buyers via higher MSRP than it would otherwise be.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is starting to make more sense now. If Ford is paying them 3.1% for "EV Compliance", then it sounds like Ford is really the one funding most of these dealer requirements. That alone could cover the onerous requirement for DCFC. If a dealer sells 100 EVs/yr at $60k avg, 3.1% back on that is $186k in Ford kickback, per year ($558k over 3 years). Way more as EV production and sales ramp up.

I suspected that could be why so many dealers signed on, because Ford is paying them to do it. Now it's starting to make more sense. And of course that 3.1% is surely passed onto buyers via higher MSRP than it would otherwise be.
Should have just set a higher percentage in EV compliance when/if dealer also installs DCFC. I believe dealers would have installed DCFC when it made business sense. I imagine, as you stated, the incentive may make the installation cost effective for many dealers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Should have just set a higher percentage in EV compliance when/if dealer also installs DCFC. I believe dealers would have installed DCFC when it made business sense. I imagine, as you stated, the incentive may make the installation cost effective for many dealers.
Instead of giving them back 3.1% for each vehicle sold, they should have just paid them for the cost of the DCFC equipment & install. Would have been more fair to all the dealerships that way.

Not quite as fair to EV buyers that won't use it, as they'll be paying for it in the MSRP, but still.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Perspective is a funny thing though. It can change when new information is given.

While it's true that the Mach-E is Fords second worst selling vehicle from a different perspective one could say that Ford is the worlds second largest EV manufacturer second only to Tesla.

That is an impressive accomplishment especially when you consider Tesla had a 10+ year head start.
It is impressive.

But it’s still like being 2nd place in the minor leagues.

But to the point at hand, when it comes to profit, being the 2nd best selling in an ultra low volume category doesn’t get you any additional profit.

Absolute Volume of sales is all that matters. Not “selling pretty well for a BEV.” That doesn’t help the bottom line.

Yes, it’s a growing category, yes it’s supplies limited.

But either way, it’s not growing fast enough to help the bottom line. And when you have to invest a million just to continue to sell them, that puts dealers back even further.

At the end of the day, if you can’t deliver more cars (regardless of why) you dont make more money.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is impressive.

But it’s still like being 2nd place in the minor leagues.

But to the point at hand, when it comes to profit, being the 2nd best selling in an ultra low volume category doesn’t get you any additional profit.

Absolute Volume of sales is all that matters. Not “selling pretty well for a BEV.” That doesn’t help the bottom line.

Yes, it’s a growing category, yes it’s supplies limited.

But either way, it’s not growing fast enough to help the bottom line. And when you have to invest a million just to continue to sell them, that puts dealers back even further.

At the end of the day, if you can’t deliver more cars (regardless of why) you dont make more money.
It's just so much of an apples-to-oranges comparison though, because it leaves out 90% of Ford's vehicle sales (ICE/hybrid/PHEV). While Tesla has 0% of any of those.

ICE isn't minor leagues. If anything, it's still the major leagues and EVs are still the minor leagues. But the gap is gradually narrowing. And more to the point, it's the total that matters (all auto sales, no matter the powertrain).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It's just so much of an apples-to-oranges comparison though, because it leaves out 90% of Ford's vehicle sales (ICE/hybrid/PHEV). While Tesla has 0% of any of those.

ICE isn't minor leagues. If anything, it's still the major leagues and EVs are still the minor leagues. But the gap is gradually narrowing. And more to the point, it's the total that matters (all auto sales, no matter the powertrain).
I was calling EV the minor leagues. The total volume of sales is still very small.

Your last sentence is exactly what I was saying.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I appologize if this has already been covered in the 11-pages of this thread, but is there an on-line database listing all the participating dealers?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was calling EV the minor leagues. The total volume of sales is still very small.

Your last sentence is exactly what I was saying.
Doh, my mistake. Misread it. 👍

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I appologize if this has already been covered in the 11-pages of this thread, but is there an on-line database listing all the participating dealers?
Closest thing is probably Ford's dealer search page, where you can click on "Advanced Search" and filter for "EV Certified".

https://www.ford.com/dealerships/

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Beautiful, thank you.
At this point "EV Certified" likely just means sales and service though, under the current (old) certification requirements. Not the bigger requirements as laid out here for the future program (like having public DCFC), which doesn't take effect until 2024.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Last edited:

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
There's more data that we need to know about this. For example, EVs right now are generally priced in the premium to luxury category of vehicles. People buying into them are presumably trading in vehicles of a similar class. They might even be trading in other EVs, which are all the rage and rare right now. If dealerships are generally making more money on second-hand sales than on new sales, selling EVs might be a magnet for attracting better second-hand vehicles to sell. I'm just not sure how often people are swapping for EVs - as one data point, I had my Leaf for two years, but life circumstances (needing a larger vehicle) caused me to trade it in earlier than I normally would have. Reading some Tesla forums, it almost seems like a lot of people are trading vehicles in every 3-5 years, which is sooner than I would have expected.

Then there's the fact that the tide is coming in on EVs, and I think everyone accepts that now. In my area, EVs are ridiculously popular. Even if a new sale doesn't net a ton of money, it's a sale and puts the dealership on the map. Maybe people will continue to trade up in the future, or maybe some people are interested in EVs but not entirely committed and they'll buy something else... it's a possibility that wouldn't happen if they just go to the Kia dealership to look at an EV6, right?

The timing is the tricky part for the dealership. I think we're getting close in many parts of the country now, but I don't think we've yet reached the tipping point where people are dead-set on EVs over ICE vehicles. I'd expect the cost of the charging infrastructure to go down with time, but right now it's still quite expensive. Even though as a consumer I'd want more dealerships to buy in as soon as possible, from a business standpoint it probably makes more sense to wait the two or so years until Ford reopens enrollment for the program, to see how much greater the demand for EVs is, and to hope that the costs to meet Ford's requirements would have gone down.
Do not disregard what I'll term the 'value commitment' by Ford. I'll relate to Toyota's commitment to hybrids in the early 2000s. Toyota was the only manufacturer to fully commit to a hybrid line. They provided a 10-year drive train warranty. All things that $ as the bottom line would argue against. However, this assured myself and hundreds of thousands of other buyers of Toyota's commitment. I bought two Prius hybrids. Each was flawless and drove 200,000+ miles averaging 45+mph combined city/hwy.
Now, I am assured that Ford dealers will have qualified technicians, multiple L2 or greater chargers where I live or along travel routes. I think Ford will win a lot of 'value commitment' from many thousands of consumers. The $ value of this will only be known after several years lag.

Great discussion everyone.
Sponsored