Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
32F.
Heater on.
Pre conditioned battery to 100%
First 80 miles of journey (reasnobly flat 65-70mph highway) used 37% so not too bad. Return leg the remaining battery was ticking down with the miles. 30% remaining at 30 miles but 25% remaining at 26 miles.... Holy crapballs batman.... screen showed 2.5 mi/kWh but it was more than 1 for 1.
Turned off heating and remaining % went down half as fast. Cabin was absolutely freezing, seat heaters don't warm your feet or face.
Ended up using 85% of battery for 160 miles, in the summer exact same trip is ~70%.
Not impressed in the cold.
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I experience a 35-40% drop in range / efficiency during cold weather, given my trips are short. My battery is at 41% SoC and range estimate is 71 miles on an ER battery.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
32F.
Heater on.
First 80 miles of journey (reasnobly flat 65-70mph highway) used 37% so not too bad. Return leg the remaining battery was ticking down with the miles. 30% remaining at 30 miles but 25% remaining at 26 miles.... Holy crapballs batman.... screen showed 2.5 mi/kWh but it was more than 1 for 1.
Turned off heating and remaining % went down half as fast. Cabin was absolutely freezing, seat heaters don't warm your feet or face.
Ended up using 85% of battery for 160 miles, in the summer exact same trip is ~70%.
You should give -20F a try!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
32F.
Heater on.
2.5 mi/kWh is pretty good for cold. You might have had a headwind going back, which can significantly decrease range. I always check for wind on longer trips and factor that into my route planning.

You're at about 30% range loss which is typical. Colder places see up to 50% range loss. That means you will have to stop to charge about every 120 miles, can't do 160 miles in the winter without a charging stop.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
32F.
Heater on.
Was your return trip at night?
It seems nobody mentions it, but in my experience on a long trip, the range loss with the headlights on is definitely noticeable. I do the same 235 mile trip repeatedly always at 75mph, and can almost perfectly predict my SOC at my destination, by checking windspeed & direction, elevation change, and ambient temperature beforehand. When the only other variable is headlights, it is apparent. I only use the heated seats or heated steering wheel when outside ambient temps get into the mid 40's or below, and then only for a couple minutes at a time.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
It seems nobody mentions it, but in my experience on a long trip, the range loss with the headlights on is definitely noticeable. I do the same 235 mile trip repeatedly always at 75mph, and can almost perfectly predict my SOC at my destination, by checking windspeed & direction, elevation change, and ambient temperature beforehand. When the only other variable is headlights, it is apparent. I only use the heated seats or heated steering wheel when outside ambient temps get into the mid 40's or below, and then only for a couple minutes at a time.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-using-headlights-affect-ev-driving-range/

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
32F.
Heater on.
Sounds fairly normal. Using 85% vs 70% is about 20% extra. For 32F, that's in the ballpark of what I experience. I leave the heater on the whole way though.

Getting 3.0 MPK in warm temps vs 2.4 in freezing temps is pretty common. Mostly from heater use.

OP
OP

Coffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
Wasn't at night, 10am going, 12pm return.

Looks to be purely temperature and heater related.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So just for you I measured the headlight power draw. The difference between them on and off is only 90 watts. Which would only be about 1.2 Wh/mi or about 0.3% of total energy consumption driving 75 MPH. Suffice to say, they make no measurable difference.

Speed, wind, temp, and terrain are larger effects BY FAR than the small accessory loads. Heated seats and steering wheel are also insignificant loads.

If you slow down from 75 MPH to 74 MPH, that that is a difference of 2.5%, or about 10 times greater than the headlights.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Your battery getting significantly colder on the way back was definitely cutting down the range. For a standard range pack, ~180 miles of winter range is pretty normal.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So just for you I measured the headlight power draw. The difference between them on and off is only 90 watts. Which would only be about 1.2 Wh/mi or about 0.3% of total energy consumption driving 75 MPH. Suffice to say, they make no measurable difference.

Speed, wind, temp, and terrain are larger effects BY FAR than the small accessory loads. Heated seats and steering wheel are also insignificant loads.

If you slow down from 75 MPH to 74 MPH, that that is a difference of 2.5%, or about 10 times greater than the headlights.
Thank you, Lee for the clarification.
Yes, I've done all those same calculations, and on paper the numbers do not jive with my repeated observations. So I still make an allowance for darkness along with the other variables when I'm making the drive at night, because if I don't, I wind up short. If all the cards are stacked against me I sometimes will get behind a much larger vehicle at a reasonably close distance and slow down. Also there is an EA station 45 miles before my destination I can stop at for 3 or4 minutes. At 2-1/2 years and 46,000 miles I still haven't used up my bundle.

I only meant to say that in my experience nightime driving uses a noticable amount of energy, and may have been a contributing factor.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yes, I've done all those same calculations, and on paper the numbers do not jive with my repeated observations. So I still make an allowance for darkness along with the other variables when I'm making the drive at night, because if I don't, I wind up short. If all the cards are stacked against me I sometimes will get behind a much larger vehicle at a reasonably close distance and slow down. Also there is an EA station 45 miles before my destination I can stop at for 3 or4 minutes. At 2-1/2 years and 46,000 miles I still haven't used up my bundle.

I only meant to say that in my experience nightime driving uses a noticable amount of energy, and may have been a contributing factor.
I recall that @DevSecOps has similarly reported lowered efficiency driving at night. There was a bunch of discussion about possible causes, though I don't recall headlights as being in the equation. Wind is certainly a possibility, as is air density.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recall that @DevSecOps has similarly reported lowered efficiency driving at night. There was a bunch of discussion about possible causes, though I don't recall headlights as being in the equation. Wind is certainly a possibility, as is air density.
I’ve wondered if there are other systems in the car that consume more energy at night somehow. The cameras maybe? But I’ve made this drive many many times, cold days, cold nights, warm days warm nights. Monitor the reported wind speed and direction, and without an explanation, the darkness uses more energy. It is my repeated experience.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I would suspect lower temps in darkness as the more significant factor. Including the lack of radiant heat benefit from sunshine through the windows we get during the day. That extra boost helps us need less heating in daylight.
Sponsored