1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
For now it will have to remain like, this but with states mandating BEV only sales over the coming years if things don't improve rapidly we are going to end up with a lot of last minute ICE sales while the numbers of out of state vehicles will suddenly start increasing on CA roads ? .
Sponsored

Reactions: EVS

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
On my second i3, which has always been our *first* car with an ICE as a back-up second car. When we get our MME, the plan is to get rid of the ICE vehicle and make it our only car.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
San Fran, I would think everyone. No place to park.
It is a problem no doubt for anyone living in an apartment or multi unit housing. Without say access to at least level 2 charging overnight, I can understand why many would switch back. And it doesn't matter if there are four DC charging stations with 5-10 blocks of your housing. Who want to leave their cars on the street at night? Not me for sure.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing. I think that he meant “Bolt,” but that is an assumption since the Bolt makes 250-ish miles on a charge.
The "researchers" did not do much of research. Very few plug-in cars (not just Volt or even Bolt) are capable of achieving 300 mile range today. Even fewer cars capable of doing that from empty to 300 miles in 6 hours on an AC charger. My advise to "researchers" is, if you are going to make stuff up, at least make it plausible.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows

Dominick Reuter
Fri, April 30, 2021, 12:41 PM

a2a0eca83b65ad32c3a8bc0f93c7e0f2.jpg

Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition. Ford
  • Roughly 20% of electric vehicle owners in California replaced their cars with gas ones, a new study shows.
  • The main reason drivers made the switch was the inconvenience of charging.
  • The findings suggest new challenges facing the growth of the nascent electric vehicle market.
In roughly three minutes, you can fill the gas tank of a Ford Mustang and have enough range to go about 300 miles with its V8 engine.
But for the electric Mustang Mach-E, an hour plugged into a household outlet gave Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan just three miles of range.

"Overnight, we're looking at 36 miles of range," he told Insider. "Before I gave it back to Ford, because I wanted to give it back full, I drove it to the office and plugged in at the charger we have there."
Standard home outlets generally put out about 120 volts of power at what electric vehicle aficionados call "Level 1" charging, while the high-powered specialty connections offer 240 volts of power and are known as "Level 2." By comparison, Tesla's "Superchargers," which can fully charge its cars in a little over an hour, offer 480 volts of direct current.

That difference is night and day, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal that surveyed Californians who purchased an electric vehicle between 2012 and 2018.

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in the… trunk, the researchers found.
Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace.
"If you don't have a Level 2, it's almost impossible," said Tynan, who has tested a wide range of makes and models of PEVs over the years for his research.

Even with the faster charging, a Chevy Volt he tested still needed nearly six hours to top its range back up to 300 miles from nearly empty - something that takes him just minutes at the pump with his family SUV.
Public charging stations may look like the electric version of the gas station, but nearly two-thirds of PEV drivers in the survey said they didn't use them. Exactly why they didn't use the public stalls was not specified.
EVs have come a long way in recent years in terms of range, safety, comfort, and tech features, but Hardman and Tal note that very little has changed in terms of how they are recharged.

The researchers warned that this trend could make it harder to achieve electric vehicle sales targets in California and other countries, and the growth of the market overall.
"It should not be assumed that once a consumer purchases a PEV they will continue owning one," Hardman and Tal wrote. "What is clear is that this could slow PEV market growth and make reaching 100% PEV sales more difficult."

Fixing the charging issue will require more participation from automakers, who have yet to find a profitable way of producing electric cars. Even Tesla, easily the leader in the category, was only able to eke out a first-quarter profit by selling energy credits and bitcoin.
"For all those legacy automakers, that profit and loss piece does matter. And that's why you're getting this half effort on electrification," Tynan said.
I never take my MME on trips beyond its range, but I haven’t made a trip that long in over 2 years. I plug it in at night, it ads 21 miles/hr charging at home, and its fully charged in the morning.
It takes me 11 seconds to plug it in.
I have a Chevy Volt if I need to make a loan trip.
Overall, I expect my all electric driving to be 95+% of the total.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
I never take my MME on trips beyond its range, but I haven’t made a trip that long in over 2 years. I plug it in at night, it ads 21 miles/hr charging at home, and its fully charged in the morning.
It takes me 11 seconds to plug it in.
I have a Chevy Volt if I need to make a loan trip.
Overall, I expect my all electric driving to be 95+% of the total.
... a long trip.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I believe this 100%. Lots of people in California live in condos, apartments etc where it is not possible to have your own level 2 charger. If I could not have a level 2 charger I would never consider an EV as charging is a hassle and there is no cost savings on fuel if you have to use EA or some similar fast charger on a regular basis.

Another factor may be the 3 series/a4/c class lease crowd (lots of these in CA) that jumped into model 3 (which were attractive leases with the 7500 credit) and now switch to something else that they can get for a lower payment.

Last edited:

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
So much BS in that article. That's what happens when you ask ignorant people about their opinions.
Those who are complaining about charging are the idiots who bought an EV without any idea where they are going to charge it. I bet most of them are young Tesla cult members for whom EV is an ideology, not a means of transportation, who bought more car than they could afford, who live in rental apartments with no access to L2 chargers.
I bet MME buyers are in a very different category, most buy this car because they like it, not because they are environmental crazies, who can afford it, live in their own home and have L2 charger installed.

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
You can't fill up your gas in your garage, but you can charge your EV overnight and always have it ready to go. For me I think I will hardly ever use public chargers.

I agree though if you didn't have a home or reliable place to park and charge that might be a different story
Same here. I don't think I would keep a bev if I could only use the 110 outlet though.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I bet MME buyers are in a very different category, most buy this car because they like it, not because they are environmental crazies, who can afford it, live in their own home and have L2 charger installed.
Without painting everyone with the same brush, I agree that the bulk of MME buyers probably fit this description. If I did not have an additional ICE vehicle, did not have a garage, or did not have an L2 charger, I would not have a BEV.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-e is a nice looking vehicle and performs well which is people want to buy regardless of the powertrain. The biggest hurdles for BEVs are range, charging times, and lack of infrastructure. Battery technology is evolving; e.g. solid state, so these hurdles will be resolved at some point. Until then, consumer acceptance of BEV will be slow.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
San Fran, I would think everyone. No place to park.
Seriously. I went to SF a couple weeks ago, because I had no choice. I was buying a dirt bike (Husqvarna FE501S) and the only dealer within driving distance was Munroe Motors in SF. Despite the smug so thick I could hardly breathe (South Park ref), I made it there and there was no place to park within a couple blocks of a business where you pick up motorcycles. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they exist. I for sure would not get a BEV as my only vehicle. I had the Shelby out last night with the top down. Hard to beat that supercharged V8 with the manual transmission. :D

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My PHEV is my primary vehicle. Once my MME comes in, it will be my primary vehicle. That said, I will continue to own my ICE vehicles because they're fun. I don't drive them much any more, but it's fun to go out and get dirty in the truck and it's fun to beat the tar out of corners in the car. Both have stir-it-yourself trannies...

As @exact33 and @CivilJeep both said, I couldn't live with a BEV without a L2 charger. I guess I'm lucky that I have one.
Sponsored