1 Pedal Driving - Loss of Power. What happens?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok so I was looking at this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-mil-with-dtc-p1a10-u0293-and-or-u1011.8323/

That made me think. If you lose power on the freeway, either by defect or you go OOM (see how many people get that), and you have 1 pedal on, will you coast to a stop because you lost power or will you suddenly come to a stop in the middle of the freeway (VERY BAD).

I assume quick thinking could get you to put the car in N and that would kill the regen braking?

I must experiment now!
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ok so I was looking at this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-mil-with-dtc-p1a10-u0293-and-or-u1011.8323/

That made me think. If you lose power on the freeway, either by defect or you go OOM (see how many people get that), and you have 1 pedal on, will you coast to a stop because you lost power or will you suddenly come to a stop in the middle of the freeway (VERY BAD).

I assume quick thinking could get you to put the car in N and that would kill the regen braking?

I must experiment now!
Worst I can think of is that you somehow lose all 12V power (which would be exceedingly rare, multiple failures). You will coast but will still have mechanical steering and braking, so you should be able to pull over and stop.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Worst I can think of is that you somehow lose all 12V power (which would be exceedingly rare, multiple failures). You will coast to a stop but will still have mechanical steering and braking, so you should be able to pull over and stop.
Ok but aside from a failure, if you ran out of power completely, as in you drained the battery, would you coast with 1 pedal or would you regen brake?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ok but aside from a failure, if you ran out of power completely, as in you drained the battery, would you coast with 1 pedal or would you regen brake?
I don't see why you wouldn't still have regen. The SSN message will pop up before it gets that critical so that all of the car's systems are still functional. You will be coasting at <4 mph long before any critical powertrain functions shut down.

I'd advise against testing this because the extreme drain will damage the battery slightly.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'd advise against testing this
I was gonna test going into N to see if it would coast, not run the battery down.

My concern would be that if there was a failure, just like ICE cars have engine failure, and you're cruising along in the fast lane of a 6 lane freeway, you wouldn't want power to be lost while regen is active. Even at 80mph that regen is powerful and might slow you quicker than you could get to the right shoulder.

If a situation like the presented itself it's impossible to navigate through settings to disable 1 pedal. So the other alternative would be to put it in N I would assume. My previous EV you could disable regen from the shifter in a split second, this car, not so.

This is just something I would like to keep in the back of my head in case something like that ever did happen. I know there's people who won't drive with 1 pedal at all for different reasons and there's others that rightfully say it could help prevent an accident because braking starts as soon as you are off the accelerator. There's some pros and cons to it, just exploring what this would be.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was gonna test going into N to see if it would coast, not run the battery down.

My concern would be that if there was a failure, just like ICE cars have engine failure, and you're cruising along in the fast lane of a 6 lane freeway, you wouldn't want power to be lost while regen is active. Even at 80mph that regen is powerful and might slow you quicker than you could get to the right shoulder.

If a situation like the presented itself it's impossible to navigate through settings to disable 1 pedal. So the other alternative would be to put it in N I would assume. My previous EV you could disable regen from the shifter in a split second, this car, not so.

This is just something I would like to keep in the back of my head in case something like that ever did happen. I know there's people who won't drive with 1 pedal at all for different reasons and there's others that rightfully say it could help prevent an accident because braking starts as soon as you are off the accelerator. There's some pros and cons to it, just exploring what this would be.
Ah. So in that case you would probably get the "1 Pedal Drive Fault, Press brake pedal to reduce speed" warning (with a bunch of other errors) if there was a system failure, so it probably won't start slowing down dramatically.

Yes, putting it in N while driving should disable coast regen.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I don't see why you wouldn't still have regen. The SSN message will pop up before it gets that critical so that all of the car's systems are still functional. You will be coasting at <4 mph long before any critical powertrain functions shut down.

I'd advise against testing this because the extreme drain will damage the battery slightly.
From a few of the posts regarding SSN that I've seen, it looked like your car almost immediately stopped. It didn't really give you a chance to actually stop safely. Its like pull over immediately while you're still coasting.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
it looked like your car almost immediately stopped
Stopped propulsion or stopped as in came to a stop? If the power just cuts off I think that's kinda expected if there's an error. I just don't want the car to apply regen braking should there be an issue and get stuck in the middle of a freeway because regen put a hault to coasting to the right shoulder.
Sponsored