Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I didn't program it.

I'm explaining how the systems in Ford PHEVs and the Focus BEV work. I assume Mach-E is the same.

My guess is because they reused the HVAC and all the auto temp control algorithms from their ICE vehicles where coolant is always hot and that heat is free.
The PTC heater in the MME directly heats the coolant that flows to the heater core compared to earlier HEVs or BEV that had air-side PTC heaters. The coolant flowing through the heater core can also get heated by the batteries and power electronics.

Since PTC heaters consume significant power, I would think the MME would use the waste heat, before powering on the PTC heater. But obviously, below a certain outside temperature or if there is not enough waste heat, the PTC heater would have to be powered on.
Sponsored

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
That's what I was asking 10 posts ago -- if the fan speed is fully automatic to get the cabin up to temp as fast as possible and then maintain it there.

If you haven't preheated the car, when you get in, AUTO should give you max fan speed until the cabin is up to temp, then the fan speed should slow down to a maintaining speed from there on. That's fully automatic.
If you select the auto hi setting, it will get cool (or warm) the cabin as quickly or agressively as possible

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I didn't assume you programmed it. That would be a bizarre coincidence if you did.

So you don't know. That's fine. Nothing wrong with speculating, I was just surprised they would keep it at max temp (if that's actually true) when it seems like using variable temp would be more efficient. And would provide a more comfortable, constant cabin temp after the initial ramp-up. That's the whole goal of cabin heating - keeping the cabin heated at a constant temp.
not sure whether the power to the PTC heater is varied. But I would think the climate system would use the waste heat from the batteries and power electronics as much as possible

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you select the auto hi setting, it will get cool (or warm) the cabin as quickly or agressively as possible
Will it then automatically slow fan speed after the cabin gets up to temp?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The PTC heater in the MME directly heats the coolant that flows to the heater core compared to earlier HEVs or BEV that had air-side PTC heaters.
The Fusion PHEV, C-Max PHEV, and Focus BEVs all had liquid PTC coolant heaters.

Model S/X and pre-2021 3s, Kona EV, Niro EV, and others have had HV air PTCs, yes.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Range appears to be holding steady now. AWD vehicle extended range.

Screenshot_20210309-170321_FordPass.jpg

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That was my thought. What a waste to miss that smell on the drive home. Now I wouldn't be happy if it broke open and got the chicken grease all over.
that's why the interior protection package is so important. ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Range appears to be holding steady now. AWD vehicle extended range.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 10 1/2 days living with a First Edition Screenshot_20210309-170321_FordPass
Missed a couple spots for some icons there at the top. I think you need to add more notifications.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Why do you need to wait until you get your MME to read the manual?
yeah I mean the General has read it through twice just today alone!

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Missed a couple spots for some icons there at the top. I think you need to add more notifications.
Yeah. Fills up fast. I have to clear the notifications several times per day. Half of those are related to the car. A few days ago I got in to go somewhere and I cleared the notices and a whole bunch came in right afterwards. It was like they were all stacked up and waiting for room on the phone to download. The car plays a chime when a notification arrives and I was hearing that chime constantly for about 60 seconds. I thought something serious was happening to my car but no warning messages so I eventually figured out it was the phone. :)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah. Fills up fast. I have to clear the notifications several times per day. Half of those are related to the car. A few days ago I got in to go somewhere and I cleared the notices and a whole bunch came in right afterwards. It was like they were all stacked up and waiting for room on the phone to download. The car plays a chime when a notification arrives and I was hearing that chime constantly for about 60 seconds. I thought something serious was happening to my car but no warning messages so I eventually figured out it was the phone. :)
Android 11 on my Galaxy S20 definitely prioritizes different notifications and batches them. Sometimes I will get three from an app all at once as soon as I wake the phone up.

One of the two reasons I wear a Galaxy Watch is to check notifications becuase they occur enough (ones I care about I mean) that I got sick of seemingly constantly checking the phone when it demanded my attention. ?

(the other reason is health and sleep tracking)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yes. Auto hi just may not settle out to as low a fan speed as auto medium or auto low.
Thanks. I'll try it on high and see if it auto-adjusts. I just want it to act normally (hi fan when needed and low fan when it just needs a little too maintain).
Sponsored