MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They should. It's not hard for them to do. Another driving mode with a disclaimer and call it a day.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
They should. It's not hard for them to do. Another driving mode with a disclaimer and call it a day.
how many people do you think would then whine about 0 warranty on inverter/motors/batteries if they used 'gloves-off damn the consequences' mode to remove output restrictions?

It would be nice if Ford Engineering would give us a better idea what temps/factors are the most reactive.... from what we've seen in the ODB2 data it looks to me like the inverter temp might be the most sensitive to high output kicking the temp up. So a logical place to start with a 'performance mod' chiller for the inverter coolant that doesn't require changing limits in any of the sensors that affect life/warranty.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
how many people do you think would then whine about 0 warranty on inverter/motors/batteries if they used 'gloves-off damn the consequences' mode to remove output restrictions?

It would be nice if Ford Engineering would give us a better idea what temps/factors are the most reactive.... from what we've seen in the ODB2 data it looks to me like the inverter temp might be the most sensitive to high output kicking the temp up. So a logical place to start with a 'performance mod' chiller for the inverter coolant that doesn't require changing limits in any of the sensors that affect life/warranty.
Why would 10 seconds of boost = no warranty?

BMW has a warranty.

Only way there would be no warranty is if you mod it yourself.

Inverter temps spike for literally a second and are cooling off immediately even while at full throttle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 10 seconds of boost C7226B76-D9D5-4494-B91B-F897CA3EEDC6

I still believe Ford will sort this out without a hardware change. Just like they are increasing battery capacity and charging speeds.

AstralLiving

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE in Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
How much of this is the boost, and how much is the single gear?

Here's a hypothetical: if I'm in a GTPE cruising at minimal throttle at 80mph speeds, and I punch it, what will happen? How fast is 80mph to 100mph with our gear ratio?

What is the top speed in a GTPE?

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
How much of this is the boost, and how much is the single gear?

Here's a hypothetical: if I'm in a GTPE cruising at minimal throttle at 80mph speeds, and I punch it, what will happen? How fast is 80mph to 100mph with our gear ratio?

What is the top speed in a GTPE?
80-100 is disappointingly slow. You only get maybe 2 seconds or less before the power is reduced (not 5 like from a stop).

Top speed is 124 and takes literally a minute to get there.

The issue is programming, not the gear.

Changing gear ratios won’t significantly change 80-100 acceleration. The motors/batteries can only output so much, regardless of the gear.

Porsche only claims like a 5% efficiency increase from their 2 speed transmission.

AstralLiving

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE in Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
80-100 is disappointingly slow. You only get maybe 2 seconds or less before the power is reduced (not 5 like from a stop).

Changing gear ratios won’t significantly change 80-100 acceleration. The motors/batteries can only output so much, regardless of the gear.

Porsche only claims like a 5% efficiency increase from their 2 speed transmission.
Very interesting, thank you for the reply! I do hope for a bump here in the future. Still very excited for my delivery, even knowing it's going to have limits at max highway speeds. I'm expecting a summer delivery!

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

While the 124mph top speed of the GTPE is not great and slow even by 1980's performance standards with a BEV you can expect some limitations and the shared nature of the rear drive unit between all trims probably means some bean counting is at work imposing limits on changes, all that said the GTPE should get to is 124mph in a blistering time not the fall of the cliff past 60 it currently has :(.

If I had been purchasing the GTPE with performance in mind, if it would have been obvious something was off with power limitations on a test drive, and while there are more things to a performance vehicle that just the power Ford haven't done much on that front either so I would have no doubt walked away, as I already made the mistake of letting the heart overrule the head when it comes to not living up to performance expectations with the mk3 focus RS so wouldn't be doing it again lol.

So while in current form the GTPE may leave a lot on the table on the performance font the couple of seconds teaser that it does deliver shows it certainly has the potential so hopefully with more competition coming showing just how bad Ford dropped with ball with its power limits implementation it may finally force them to actually fix the problem and make the GTPE actually live up to marketing and give owners that did purchase with performance in mind based on the marketing the vehicle they deserve.

After all there can be no hiding behind warranty excuses when all your competitors have no problems delivering the expected performance along with a warranty.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag

lmao 2 seconds of "boost" from an 80 roll? come on man. Be honest. It's not even 1/2 a second and you know it. What you get is an initial surge that immediately dissipates into a wet fart. And its not just from an 80 punch I'd say it's not that much different from a 65 punch.

And even from a 50 roll the Tesla feels like a goddamn supercar compared to the Mach.

I'm okay with being slower than the MYP, and I've always been okay with it even before I bought the car. The Ford is a better car in a lot of ways and I'd happily pay a slightly slower than a MYP tax for those aspects.

But trapping slower than an electric Volvo XC40? Jesus effing Christ, Ford. Get it together.

It's like the 4.6 vs LS1 days except instead of just Chevy kicking our asses it's Chevy and EFFING VOLVO AND ALSO APPARENTLY KIA
Sponsored