Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nice new article just posted at Mach E Autos:
https://www.macheautos.com/2020/07/...Dr81UjV1cFyFXpV5UDh92UZfOxefIz3KIun0Cm_sJMn7I
And yes, many of us know most of these.

10 things you didn’t know about Ford Mustang Mach-E

Matt_avatar-150x150.jpg

ByMatthew Scott
July 22, 2020

21_FRD_MCH_48134-696x464.jpg

Ford has been pretty good about providing information about Mustang Mach-E, from an live-streamed informative launch presentation, to a full-featured website and configurator, technical documents, and order guides, but here are a few ‘quirks and features’ (has DeMuro trademarked that yet?) that you may not have noticed. So, here we go, in no particular order.

1. Infrared reflective (IRR) windshield
Carbonized-Gray-Mach-E-1-1024x1024.jpg

Usually reserved for German luxury sedans, all Mach-E models have an infrared reflective (IRR) windshield that is easy to spot by the purple hue on Mach-E’s windshield in some pics. The IRR windshield reflects infrared light waves to reduce heat buildup from direct sunlight inside the car and has advantages in terms of cutting down on the need for air conditioning, using less power from the battery.

2. Acoustic laminate glass
MBCdualpane-1024x768.jpg
Acoustic laminate glass in a Mercedes C-Class
Another luxury feature that engineers have included on Mach-E is acoustic laminate glass. On all models, the IRR windshield is also acoustically laminated, and on Premium and First Edition models so are the front driver and passenger windows. Laminated glass consists of two pieces of glass with a thin plastic layer between them. This glass sandwich helps cut down on wind and road noise that enters the cabin, which is especially important on a quiet electric vehicle.

3. Kick-to-open with Phone as a Key (PaaK), or not?
21_FRD_MCH_48127-1024x683.jpg

Buried in a footnote on the leaked order guide (PDF), Ford mentions that the “Hands-Free, Foot-Activated Liftgate functionality is integrated in the 4-Door Intelligent Access (Lock/Unlock) with Push-Button Start key fob.” [emphasis mine] Does this mean kick-to-open will not work with Ford’s Phone as a Key technology? Kick-to-open with PaaK does seem to work with Lincoln models, so it might also make it to Mach-E. We just don’t know yet.

4. Door presentment
OT_Have_Ordinary_Door_Handles_Heres_How_You_Get_In.gif
Source: TFLCar
In a web conference presentation by Ford engineers, hosted by MachEForum.com, Mustang Mach-E Design Manager Christopher Walter mentioned quickly that the Mach-E’s electronically opening doors may auto-present themselves (a la Tesla Model X) as drivers approach the car while using Phone as a Key. Lincoln vehicles have what Lincoln calls “Lincoln embrace” as drivers approach the vehicle, turning on headlights, puddle, and interior lights. So, auto-presentment of Mach-E’s doors could be a natural evolution of the technology. Bonus fact: The little arm inside the door jam that opens Mach-E’s doors remains extended until the door is fully opened, to reduce the likelihood of pinched fingers.

5. PIN to drive
PIN-to-Drive-1024x571.png
PIN to Drive in Lincoln Aviator, Roadshow
The exterior keypad has long been a feature of Ford and Lincoln vehicles, but in its latest iteration, and combined with PaaK and Ford Sync, Lincoln drivers have been able to enter a 5-digit code on the door and an 8-digit code on the infotainment screen to access, start, and drive the vehicle. All Mach-E models feature the touchpad on the driver’s door and Mach-E’s PaaK feature is rumored to be the same as Lincoln’s, so it’s safe to say PIN to drive will also be in Mach-E. Who needs a key or phone as a key?

6. Yes, there’s a frunk
mach-e-food-frunk-1024x576.jpg

Unlike some of its rivals (or like its main rival), Mustang Mach-E includes a front trunk or frunk. Easily opened from inside the vehicle, this extra 4.8 cu. ft. of storage space can be used for groceries, luggage, charge cords, or packed with ice and drinks (or shrimp) for your next tailgate party. There’s a handy drain plug at the bottom, making clean up a breeze.

7. Not all models can charge at 150kWh
115kwh.jpg

According to Ford’s Mustang Mach-E technical specs (PDF), not all Mach-E models can DC fast charge at 150kWh. Premium, First Edition, California Route 1, and GT models all have the 150kWh ability, but according to the specs Select models are limited to only 115kWh. In other materials, like the leaked order guide, Select models are listed with 150kWh abilities.

8. B&O’s premium sound bar only contains two tweeters
MacheBOdiagram-1024x574.png

Standard on Premium and First Edition models, Ford and Bang & Olufsen have touted their award-winning sound bar design as being a breakthrough, but according to the speaker placement diagram from B&O, the sound bar on the dash only contains two tweeters. Most buyers assumed that sound bar was packed with speakers, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The B&O system has 9 speakers and 1 subwoofer, and a total of 560 watts.

9. Mobile charger comes with 120/240V switchable cord
FordMobileCharger.jpg

Unlike Tesla and Toyota, Ford’s mobile charger (standard with all Mach-E models) includes a switchable cord end so it can be used in 120V and 240V outlets. The switchable cord end allows owners to charge with 120V (NEMA 5-15) up to 15 Amps (3 miles per hour) or 240V (NEMA 14-50) up to 32 Amps (21 miles per hour). This means there’s no additional purchase to begin using the mobile charger at home immediately.

10. Switchable interior sound
propulsionsound-1-1024x578.png

Ford engineers have mentioned, and screenshots and videos have shown, that Mustang Mach-E will have an interior propulsion sound that can be turned on and off by drivers. In competitors, like the Jaguar I-Pace and Porsche Taycan, auto reviewers have mentioned how the sound adds to the EV excitement. We’ve heard some acceleration sounds in Mach-E videos, but Ford is quick to say anything we’ve heard is not final. Bonus fact: Mach-E will also have a government-mandated external sound up to 18.6mph to help pedestrians hear the silent pony.

So that’s our list. What did we miss? What did you not know before? What questions do you still have? Please leave your comments and questions below.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This makes me feel better about spending almost $60k on a car. I have acoustic glass in my Audi and I've never been in a quieter vehicle. This makes me very happy to see the MachE use high quality glass. Can't wait to hear the B&O system as well.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I haven't heard anything about noise cancellation yet that's very important to me
My current car isn't very quiet, so I'm also pretty pumped about this! Will hopefully make my commute audiobooks a bit easier to enjoy.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I haven't heard anything about noise cancellation yet that's very important to me
What noise is there to cancel?

EV's are very quiet by their nature. Sure there is a slight whine to them but in general very quiet. Especially when stopped--no motor idling.

The first time I stopped at a light in the rain in my Focus Electric surprised me at how loud the rain was.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
What noise is there to cancel?

EV's are very quiet by their nature. Sure there is a slight whine to them but in general very quiet. Especially when stopped--no motor idling.

The first time I stopped at a light in the rain in my Focus Electric surprised me at how loud the rain was.
Road/tire noise is still a thing - So is very large/loud trucks and tractor trailers riding beside/around you. That plus wind noise at higher speeds can definitely be heard in cars without adequate sound dampening.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Road/tire noise is still a thing - So is very large/loud trucks and tractor trailers riding beside/around you. That plus wind noise at higher speeds can definitely be heard in cars without adequate sound dampening.
Not as much as you think: My Bolt is relatively quiet on the highway (although "relatively" is a relative term: If you're looking for anechoic chamber silence then no....)

figmentsas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Eco Vert, 2021 MachE Premium ER-AWD
Country flag
Hi, in regards to the IRR windshield, will it be a problem for an EZ-PASS toll tag to be read properly? I thought I read somewhere the tag has problems with heat reflected windshields.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Agreed. Most of the sound you hear on a freeway is tire noise, not engines.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Agreed. Most of the sound you hear on a freeway is tire noise, not engines.
There can also be a lot of wind noise around mirrors and other parts of the body, this is going to be really obvious in an EV, manufactures just can't get away with hoping to use the engine to mask it any more.

This is one of the advantages the german premium manufactures have had in this regard as they have had to cater to people driving at 150mph+ on the autobahn and expect it to still be quite inside the cabin.

Ford has used noise canceling in the edge so hopefully the mach-e will have similar to mask some of the tricky frequencies that are hard to deal with, whole point of an EV is it should be nice and quite inside IMO, I have no problem with toggling on manufactured spaceship sounds or what ever ford ends up using in the mach-e when accelerating , but in general use it needs to be nice and quite.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi, in regards to the IRR windshield, will it be a problem for an EZ-PASS toll tag to be read properly? I thought I read somewhere the tag has problems with heat reflected windshields.
It depends if the tinting is metallic. Non-metallic tints are not a problem. It also depends on the generation of transponder you are using. The newer generation transponders even work in the glove compartment.

The short answer is we won't know for sure until we try it! Although, if there are any Mach E engineers who have tested it, please let us know!

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Good question and I wonder if it is and different for the ipass? Side question, do I want to tarnish my fancy new car with the eyesore transponder?

Maybe car manufacturers should install hidden transponders that work with the tollways.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
There can also be a lot of wind noise around mirrors and other parts of the body, this is going to be really obvious in an EV, manufactures just can't get away with hoping to use the engine to mask it any more.
I was talking about as a bystander listening to the traffic -- that's almost all tire noise. Not really relevant though. Your correct, inside the car, the wind is probably the primary noise factor after the engine.
Sponsored