10 things you didn’t know about Ford Mustang Mach-E

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I can live with that. I wonder how it'll perform in the winter time when doors are stuck.
It will perform better than other vehicles because each door has a strong electric motor that will break through thick crust of frozen sleet or ice and pop the door out. This was tested up to -40 F. There will be no door handles getting stuck like the model 3/y or doors getting stuck like traditional vehicles during winter.
Sponsored

smcd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F450
Country flag
My 2012 Tesla Model S had interchangeable plugs on my power cable, allowing for 120v or 240v outlet use. I would assume Tesla is still doing this.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Probably not I believe the Mach-E max towing capacity is 750 kg or 1650 pounds
Personally, towing isn't a thing for me at all, and the only reason I'd want my MME to have a hitch receiver is for a bike rack. And there are many alternatives to that style. Just don't drive into the garage with bikes on your roof :p

Others will differ of course.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2012 Tesla Model S had interchangeable plugs on my power cable, allowing for 120v or 240v outlet use. I would assume Tesla is still doing this.
The current Teslas comes with a 110-volt charge cable. That gives 2 to 3 mph of charge. No 240 volt charging cable or adapter is standard. A $520 240v, 14-50 plug mobile charging cable is available as an aftermarket item.

You're encouraged to purchase the Tesla wall charger for charging at home. Good advice.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Or how about being able to use your phone as the signal producer with WiFi, NFC, or Bluetooth and no need for another dongle?
Toll authorities would love charging every phone in the car. Pay per passenger to cross the bridge

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A $520 240v, 14-50 plug mobile charging cable is available as an aftermarket item.
Or you can buy an additional plug (such as a NEMA 14-50) for the included adapter for $35 each.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or you can buy an additional plug (such as a NEMA 14-50) for the included adapter for $35 each.
As long as it can handle the 240 volts, you could. And honestly, I’d be rather shocked if it couldn’t. But this was as much research on a car than I’m never going to buy that I was willing to do. ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Personally, towing isn't a thing for me at all, and the only reason I'd want my MME to have a hitch receiver is for a bike rack. And there are many alternatives to that style. Just don't drive into the garage with bikes on your roof :p

Others will differ of course.
Same. I love my Saris hitch mount rack. And a bit nervous about a roof rack on glass unless they put in anchor points.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Same. I love my Saris hitch mount rack. And a bit nervous about a roof rack on glass unless they put in anchor points.
Except for the SeaSucker, the roof racks never touch the glass. Thule and Yakima will come out with feet for the door seals in no time.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
The current Teslas comes with a 110-volt charge cable. That gives 2 to 3 mph of charge. No 240 volt charging cable or adapter is standard. A $520 240v, 14-50 plug mobile charging cable is available as an aftermarket item.

You're encouraged to purchase the Tesla wall charger for charging at home. Good advice.
Did they change this recently? The charging cable that came with my wife's model 3 had a changeable adaptor for either a 120 or 240v outlet. ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Nice new article just posted at Mach E Autos:
https://www.macheautos.com/2020/07/...Dr81UjV1cFyFXpV5UDh92UZfOxefIz3KIun0Cm_sJMn7I
And yes, many of us know most of these.

10 things you didn’t know about Ford Mustang Mach-E

Matt_avatar-150x150.jpg

ByMatthew Scott
July 22, 2020

21_FRD_MCH_48134-696x464.jpg

Ford has been pretty good about providing information about Mustang Mach-E, from an live-streamed informative launch presentation, to a full-featured website and configurator, technical documents, and order guides, but here are a few ‘quirks and features’ (has DeMuro trademarked that yet?) that you may not have noticed. So, here we go, in no particular order.

1. Infrared reflective (IRR) windshield
Carbonized-Gray-Mach-E-1-1024x1024.jpg

Usually reserved for German luxury sedans, all Mach-E models have an infrared reflective (IRR) windshield that is easy to spot by the purple hue on Mach-E’s windshield in some pics. The IRR windshield reflects infrared light waves to reduce heat buildup from direct sunlight inside the car and has advantages in terms of cutting down on the need for air conditioning, using less power from the battery.

2. Acoustic laminate glass
MBCdualpane-1024x768.jpg
Acoustic laminate glass in a Mercedes C-Class
Another luxury feature that engineers have included on Mach-E is acoustic laminate glass. On all models, the IRR windshield is also acoustically laminated, and on Premium and First Edition models so are the front driver and passenger windows. Laminated glass consists of two pieces of glass with a thin plastic layer between them. This glass sandwich helps cut down on wind and road noise that enters the cabin, which is especially important on a quiet electric vehicle.

3. Kick-to-open with Phone as a Key (PaaK), or not?
21_FRD_MCH_48127-1024x683.jpg

Buried in a footnote on the leaked order guide (PDF), Ford mentions that the “Hands-Free, Foot-Activated Liftgate functionality is integrated in the 4-Door Intelligent Access (Lock/Unlock) with Push-Button Start key fob.” [emphasis mine] Does this mean kick-to-open will not work with Ford’s Phone as a Key technology? Kick-to-open with PaaK does seem to work with Lincoln models, so it might also make it to Mach-E. We just don’t know yet.

4. Door presentment
OT_Have_Ordinary_Door_Handles_Heres_How_You_Get_In.gif
Source: TFLCar
In a web conference presentation by Ford engineers, hosted by MachEForum.com, Mustang Mach-E Design Manager Christopher Walter mentioned quickly that the Mach-E’s electronically opening doors may auto-present themselves (a la Tesla Model X) as drivers approach the car while using Phone as a Key. Lincoln vehicles have what Lincoln calls “Lincoln embrace” as drivers approach the vehicle, turning on headlights, puddle, and interior lights. So, auto-presentment of Mach-E’s doors could be a natural evolution of the technology. Bonus fact: The little arm inside the door jam that opens Mach-E’s doors remains extended until the door is fully opened, to reduce the likelihood of pinched fingers.

5. PIN to drive
PIN-to-Drive-1024x571.png
PIN to Drive in Lincoln Aviator, Roadshow
The exterior keypad has long been a feature of Ford and Lincoln vehicles, but in its latest iteration, and combined with PaaK and Ford Sync, Lincoln drivers have been able to enter a 5-digit code on the door and an 8-digit code on the infotainment screen to access, start, and drive the vehicle. All Mach-E models feature the touchpad on the driver’s door and Mach-E’s PaaK feature is rumored to be the same as Lincoln’s, so it’s safe to say PIN to drive will also be in Mach-E. Who needs a key or phone as a key?

6. Yes, there’s a frunk
mach-e-food-frunk-1024x576.jpg

Unlike some of its rivals (or like its main rival), Mustang Mach-E includes a front trunk or frunk. Easily opened from inside the vehicle, this extra 4.8 cu. ft. of storage space can be used for groceries, luggage, charge cords, or packed with ice and drinks (or shrimp) for your next tailgate party. There’s a handy drain plug at the bottom, making clean up a breeze.

7. Not all models can charge at 150kWh
115kwh.jpg

According to Ford’s Mustang Mach-E technical specs (PDF), not all Mach-E models can DC fast charge at 150kWh. Premium, First Edition, California Route 1, and GT models all have the 150kWh ability, but according to the specs Select models are limited to only 115kWh. In other materials, like the leaked order guide, Select models are listed with 150kWh abilities.

8. B&O’s premium sound bar only contains two tweeters
MacheBOdiagram-1024x574.png

Standard on Premium and First Edition models, Ford and Bang & Olufsen have touted their award-winning sound bar design as being a breakthrough, but according to the speaker placement diagram from B&O, the sound bar on the dash only contains two tweeters. Most buyers assumed that sound bar was packed with speakers, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The B&O system has 9 speakers and 1 subwoofer, and a total of 560 watts.

9. Mobile charger comes with 120/240V switchable cord
FordMobileCharger.jpg

Unlike Tesla and Toyota, Ford’s mobile charger (standard with all Mach-E models) includes a switchable cord end so it can be used in 120V and 240V outlets. The switchable cord end allows owners to charge with 120V (NEMA 5-15) up to 15 Amps (3 miles per hour) or 240V (NEMA 14-50) up to 32 Amps (21 miles per hour). This means there’s no additional purchase to begin using the mobile charger at home immediately.

10. Switchable interior sound
propulsionsound-1-1024x578.png

Ford engineers have mentioned, and screenshots and videos have shown, that Mustang Mach-E will have an interior propulsion sound ...Ford is quick to say anything we’ve heard is not final. Bonus fact: Mach-E will also have a government-mandated external sound up to 18.6mph to help pedestrians hear the silent pony.
ooohhhhh, maybe we can select specific make/model sound samples?! How cool would it be to switch from 'Mustang', to 'Jaguar XK-120', to Ferrari, or whatever. ;)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I was talking about as a bystander listening to the traffic -- that's almost all tire noise. Not really relevant though. Your correct, inside the car, the wind is probably the primary noise factor after the engine.
Inside an EV, you notice all kinds of squeaks and rattles you never hear in a ICE vehicle.... my DIY eMiata stills has a transmission, which makes a surprising amount of noise as does the rear differential, that you'd never hear with engine noise.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
I hope they do make the external alert sound like a pony.
Like a galloping horse? YES that would be amazing.

Hopefully they have multiple to pick from including a rumbling exhaust. It would be fun to swap those from time to time.
Sponsored