SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing. Pay for it by 12.31.21. Will that work?
I don't know if my dealer would allow this but I also wonder if it matters because the VIN number shows it's a 2021. If I put that on my tax return it shows that I bought a 2021.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
I don't know if my dealer would allow this but I also wonder if it matters because the VIN number shows it's a 2021. If I put that on my tax return it shows that I bought a 2021.
Model Year has 0 impact on your taxes and when you purchase your car. Only thing that really matters is when you place your car into service aka bought/received the car.

Could you pay for it have it say you put into service in 2021. yeah sure. What if the car arrives damaged? Or like some of the other build week "missing or held".

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Technically, no.

Could you theoretically put 12/31 as date placed in service, on form 8936 and still get your credit for 2021? Probably.
Just hope you don't get audited. That is technically tax fraud.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It is very bush league by the dealer to blame a quality control problem on Tesla.
Honestly if the dealer is acting like Tesla is their competition thatā€™s a good sign. It means they take EVs seriously. These are dealership employees. We donā€™t need to analyze their every word like they are the CEO of Ford.

Up and Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, Iconic Silver
Country flag
If youā€™re selling a 40 to 70k vehicle, let it sell itself and have some class.

Honestly if the dealer is acting like Tesla is their competition thatā€™s a good sign. It means they take EVs seriously. These are dealership employees. We donā€™t need to analyze their every word like they are the CEO of Ford.

Rickyricardo27

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD S & Tesla M3P
Country flag
Got the email from ford confirming delivery on 12-15!!! Mind you I have no idea how thatā€™s possible since they claim it was built on 11/18 and just now awaiting shipment? Iā€™m just not getting my hopes up but maybe it was already on the train and about to hit KC in the next day or two. Weā€™ll see

49F6F883-0849-4DEA-9020-9D6FCFDAC84D.png

Neablis

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Technically, no.

Could you theoretically put 12/31 as date placed in service, on form 8936 and still get your credit for 2021? Probably.
Ya this is correct. The exact wording of the law is it needs to be put into service by 2022. I believe its pretty low risk to move this date a few days, but it's still technically some light tax fraud.

Aquar33f

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Just hope you don't get audited. That is technically tax fraud.
To clarify, paying for it by 12/31 doesnā€™t put it ā€œin serviceā€ either as the dealer is trying to recommend. All it would do is exacerbate a cash flow problem since buyer still wouldnā€™t be eligible for the credit until TY22 (meaning no credit until ā€˜23).

Itā€™s a stinky situation to be in. Especially if they change the way the credit works after you take delivery.

Iā€™m in no way advocating for anyone to take the position mentioned. There have been countless threads on here where this question has been asked, and the answer is always the same.

Aquar33f

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Got the email from ford confirming delivery on 12-15!!! Mind you I have no idea how thatā€™s possible since they claim it was built on 11/18 and just now awaiting shipment? Iā€™m just not getting my hopes up but maybe it was already on the train and about to hit KC in the next day or two. Weā€™ll see

49F6F883-0849-4DEA-9020-9D6FCFDAC84D.png
That is awesome!

Sounds like it just a train ride from Mexico to KS and another short truck ride to you! Hopefully that means the rest of us are only another 7-10 days behind you.