Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Not that these should really be necessary unless you are leaving your vehicle unplugged in cold conditions for extended periods of time, but since there has been so much discussion about it recently here are two that I'd recommend for this vehicle (and anything else in your fleet). In particular:
  • They are safe for 24/7 connection
  • Have nice "hardwire" connectors available from the manufacturer (either included or as an accessory)
  • Are compatible with AGM batteries, and have repair features to revitalize a sad battery
  • Charge current at least 2A maximum (but smart enough to back off when needed)
CTEK is a longtime favorite in this space - I've got an older 3A unit that has been left outdoors in the snow in -10F conditions, tossed in the back of my truck, and generally mistreated for about 15 years. This is their newest unit, 5A, more repair options, temperature compensation, etc. These ones are ~$100 USD, but worth it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery (LVB) maintenance chargers 1613446588745

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-mxs-5-0

If you want to save a few bucks but still get a good unit, the NoCo chargers get good reviews. I don't own one yet, but I have one of their larger 10A units on order for dealing with some larger batteries.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery (LVB) maintenance chargers 1613446777171

https://no.co/genius2 - 2A, totally sufficient, $50
https://no.co/genius5 - 5A, will charge faster, more useful for other car/truck batteries, $70

Hope this helps!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I will not be buying one of these for my MME. If there is a problem, I will try to make my dealer and Ford figure it out. There are plenty of examples of BEVs that can keep their 12v battery charged. There is no excuse for having a weak or unreliable dc-dc converter. ...and the software that goes with it.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I will not be buying one of these for my MME. If there is a problem, I will try to make my dealer and Ford figure it out. There are plenty of examples of BEVs that can keep their 12v battery charged. There is no excuse for having a weak or unreliable dc-dc converter. ...and the software that goes with it.
I completely agree that the cars should be shipping with batteries that work for at least a few years, and that the DC/DC maintenance system should be working. Not trying to excuse Ford for anything.

I'm just a tinkerer, and want to know what my options are, and since a number of threads recently have asked about maintenance chargers I thought I'd post a few good options.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I actually connect the opposite to my BEVs. I use the 12v to run things in the house when the power is out. The dc-dc converter has never let my battery die. (you have to leave the car on) I run a 1000 and 2000 watt invert. Looks like I won't be hooking up the MME any time soon.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I actually connect the opposite to my BEVs. I use the 12v to run things in the house when the power is out. The dc-dc converter has never let my battery die. (you have to leave the car on) I run a 1000 and 2000 watt invert. Looks like I won't be hooking up the MME any time soon.
I'm sure they'll have the DC/DC running correctly soon (at least, they better). Not sure what the power capacity of it is, however... Good use for a small inverter for household activities, as long as you have 99kWhs sitting in the garage.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
That device is not needed for electrics and hybrids with DC to DC converters on board. Just start up the vehicle once a week, and as long as your HV battery has a charge, that will tune up your 12V battery. And if you are worried about the cold winter, move south to the tropics or the Caribbean. The warmer weather is better for the car and for your health.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Plus this is only helpful if ur at home or u leave it inside the car with the doors unlocked. Otherwise can’t get to it inside the car. Call AAA or Ford Roadside Assistance.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That device is not needed for electrics and hybrids with DC to DC converters on board. Just start up the vehicle once a week, and as long as your HV battery has a charge, that will tune up your 12V battery. And if you are worried about the cold winter, move south to the tropics or the Caribbean. The warmer weather is better for the car and for your health.
I did note in the OP that these aren’t needed in normal situations, but there may be times when someone has to store their car in a place without a charger connection. Also, some people just like to be prepared and not rely exclusively on dealers and roadside assistance. People were asking about agm safe chargers so I posted a few examples.

As for warm weather being better for cars and health, both US life expectancy maps and insurance claims for flooded and hurricane damaged cars would tend to disagree. ;)
Sponsored