Advertisement

14-30 charging options

ThetaGod

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I am taking delivery in the next 3-10 days. My situation is that I’m only going to have a 14-30 port available (normal 120 available as well) and I am renting where I am not able to make any changes while I am here. What is the best option for me for 14-30 chargers/adapters to buy? One post here seemed to think a 14-30 adapter wouldn’t be suitable since it may not work with Ford charger, so I’m not sure if I should go that route. It doesn’t seem there is an official Ford adapter either. I don’t want to buy an expensive 3rd party 14-30 charger if I don’t have to go that route, but maybe I do?

I will be driving enough where I don’t think 120v will keep up and don’t want to top off at a public station since I almost always come back home.
Many thanks for any help and opinions.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Your best bet is probably to just buy a new corded mobile connector that already has that plug on it. If you search Amazon for “ev charger 14-30” you’ll find some. Not as expensive as the hardwired chargers you see discussed more often.

generaltso

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
Country flag
Purchasing a lower amperage EVSE is really your only option if you want to use that 14-30 outlet. An adapter won’t work with the Ford mobile charger because there’s no way to tell the charger or the car to pull less than 32 amps, so it will trip the 30 amp breaker. If they add the ability to step down the amperage in an OTA update, an adapter would be feasible.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicles
C-Max Energi
Country flag
I am taking delivery in the next 3-10 days. My situation is that I’m only going to have a 14-30 port available (normal 120 available as well) and I am renting where I am not able to make any changes while I am here. What is the best option for me for 14-30 chargers/adapters to buy? One post here seemed to think a 14-30 adapter wouldn’t be suitable since it may not work with Ford charger, so I’m not sure if I should go that route. It doesn’t seem there is an official Ford adapter either. I don’t want to buy an expensive 3rd party 14-30 charger if I don’t have to go that route, but maybe I do?

I will be driving enough where I don’t think 120v will keep up and don’t want to top off at a public station since I almost always come back home.
Many thanks for any help and opinions.
One example:
https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-30p-nema-14-30
Stay away from units that aren't UL certified. Amazon is full of them.

Advertisement