Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
i used Bluecruise for 200 miles this weekend. Only issue I had was the system did like my dark lens Rayban’s. I will need to purchase another pair with lighter lenses.
Sponsored

DK922

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
i used Bluecruise for 200 miles this weekend. Only issue I had was the system did like my dark lens Rayban’s. I will need to purchase another pair with lighter lenses.
Oh man don’t tell me we can’t wear sunglasses while using Bluecruise…

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
It is designed to work with sunglasses - it uses IR so it can see right through them. I guess some might block enough IR to confuse it, but it works fine with mine and I haven’t heard of it not working with anyone else’s. Don’t worry - people can be idiots sometimes but I doubt “this car isn’t compatible with sunglasses” would have made it through Ford QC. ;)

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Wasn't there something about polarized glasses?

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
My other vehicle is a Manual Trans GT I'm used to driving with my left hand on top of the steering wheel (between 11 and 1 o'clock) and since the IR sensors are right behind the wheel, my left arm will block the IR lights/camera/sensors. So, if I'm in normal "Lane Centering/Lane Keeping" mode without bluecruise on, the system can't see my eyes and it will alert/prompt to "Watch The Road" because it needs to confirm my eyes are on the road... The IR light/camera system is in the A pillar in the F-150's so I don't think this will be an issue for F-150 Drivers.
Ah... now I understand... I usually hold the steering wheel somewhere around 9 o'clock when driving stick.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I can only attest that it did not work with my very dark lens Ray Ban's from my optometrist. I have order a lighter shade lens so I can report back later then they arrive.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It is designed to work with sunglasses - it uses IR so it can see right through them. I guess some might block enough IR to confuse it, but it works fine with mine and I haven’t heard of it not working with anyone else’s. Don’t worry - people can be idiots sometimes but I doubt “this car isn’t compatible with sunglasses” would have made it through Ford QC. ;)
What did you mean by "people can be idiots sometimes"?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What did you mean by "people can be idiots sometimes"?
I wasn't referring to you if that is what you are asking - I was referring to the possibility that no one at Ford would realize that people wear sunglasses while driving cars, which seems remote to me. I know the system is designed to work with sunglasses, but it sounds like there might be a few that don't work. I know my Cat4 glacier glasses (<8% VLT) do work with the attention detection when using intelligent cruise control, but perhaps certain IR coatings could interfere.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wasn't referring to you if that is what you are asking - I was referring to the possibility that no one at Ford would realize that people wear sunglasses while driving cars, which seems remote to me. I know the system is designed to work with sunglasses, but it sounds like there might be a few that don't work. I know my Cat4 glacier glasses (<8% VLT) do work with the attention detection when using intelligent cruise control, but perhaps certain IR coatings could interfere.
I did some checking on Ray Ban's web site and I think my lenses do have an IR coating. I tried again tonight and got the same "keep your eyes on the road" while wearing them and as soon as I took them off the warning went away.

DK922

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Are they polarized?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are they polarized?
That pair isn’t, but I have another pair of Oakleys that is, I’ll try them out sometime soon to see.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hey everyone!

On my way into work this morning, I put my GoPro up and recorded a video to show some of my customers what their BlueCruise experience would be like when their F-150 and Mach E's get the OTA update in the near future.

I've uploaded it twice where you can see the whole 14-minute video as well as a condensed version where I turned the video speed up from 100% all the way up to 1,000% where the commute lasts a little over 1 minute lol... I'm sure not everyone wants to watch me drive in silence for 14 minutes lol.

Take note of the IR sensor/camera system behind the wheel that the GoPro picks up. Super cool but one thing I've noticed (not shown in this video) that might bug some people is that you will get a "Watch The Road" prompt when you're only using lane-centering (not full handsfree BlueCruise) if you're someone that's accustomed to driving a manual transmission as I am. I think the F-150's will not have this issue as I can see that the main IR sensors are in the pillars.

A lot of different stuff went on during this commute which was somewhat intentional as I wanted to show as much as I could about the system. The video includes the lane changing process, "Auto Resume" feature for stop-n-go, prompts to resume control on turns that are not fully mapped for BlueCruise yet**, warnings for getting too close to one lane or another driver beside me, and at one point a warning to "WATCH THE ROAD!" lol.

Lane changing is something I've learned to like more in BlueCruise than I thought. I originally was kinda upset that it didn't change lanes on its own but I like that when I signal for a change, I can just speed up at my own pace and the car will resume BlueCruise automatically without having to re-enable the system. I've heard that if you don't get the full autopilot system from Tesla, the base self-driving features have to be constantly reinitiated to work. It's pretty seamless in BlueCruise.

The watch the road warning was because I was trying to reset my "EV Driving History". I realized that in my GTPE I love to go fast and accelerate a little too aggressively so I wanted to have a little more modest Range showing on the screen lol. I didn't want people to judge the car's range too harshly due to me driving like a bat outta hell all the time lol.

** I've noticed over the last few weeks having BlueCruise that when "Aggressive" turns come up, I'm sometimes prompted to resume control... I originally thought it was due to just that, the turn being aggressive. I don't know if that's totally the case as I've noticed that when I have my hand on the wheel but not really applying force, the car's lane-centering does just a good of a job at navigating that turn as if it were in BlueCruise. I bring this up because I feel like I've seen people claim "BlueCruise won't work on hard turns" but I don't think that's the case as been on plenty of equally aggressive turns and BlueCruise remains active. The car seems super capable of navigating those turns if it knows I'm there as backup. I feel like the "Resume Control" prompt in a lot of cases is more based on the turn not being fully mapped and the more I think of it, I feel like there could be obstacles (overpasses, clouds) that have obstructed the satellite that helped map the road in question during development. This observation is 100% pure speculation on my part but I figured I'd bring it up.

One last thing, there are definitely spots where there are serious errors in the BlueCruise map database (idk if that's what the official jargon for what fuels BlueCruise mapping system) where sometimes not only faint lines or harsh turns on the road can throw the car off its rocker but there are turns that seem not officially accounted for and can cause the car to go batshit crazy lol. There is one on my commute home at night that I know 100% of the time, I need to resume control before it even asks me too or else it's going into the next lane without warning. I'm not concerned about it for myself or even anyone else as I think Ford somewhat expects this and that's why the attention/watch the road system is so picky lol.

snapshot_server.gif

Click the image or view your video from Tom Snyder here

snapshot_server.gif

Click the image or view your video from Tom Snyder here

Ford Mustang Mach-E 14 Min Footage of BlueCruise in Mach-E w/ Prompts, Lane Changes, Warnings, Stop-n-Go {filename}

Ford Mustang Mach-E 14 Min Footage of BlueCruise in Mach-E w/ Prompts, Lane Changes, Warnings, Stop-n-Go {filename}
Nice write up and video.
Thanks for posting. I am not interested in Blue Cruise but after reading your report I would be much more receptive to the feature when the majority of vehicles on the road have it. That would be pretty cool to be on the freeway with dozens of other vehicles running Blue Cruise. I dream of a day where I don't have to share the road with irresponsible drivers who think they are exempt from regulations and common courtesy. Doubt I will live that long though.