B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 Mustang, 2021 MME FE, 2022 MME GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Last week I took a road trip to Fort Benning Georgia to pick up my son for HBL from PA. It's ~1400 miles round trip in my 2022 GTPE. Overall it went smoothly with just a few hiccups.

The guess-o-meter showed that I had 222 miles at full charge. It was mid to upper 30s. So around 15% hit for cold weather. I drove most of the way in either Engage or Whisper and used BlueCruise every chance I got (which was the majority of time). In 70mph zones I set it for 76, 65 zones I set it for 73, etc. So fairly high speed. BlueCruise for the most part worked flawlessly except for going into the sun in the late afternoon. It would kick me out regularly. All other times it made it a very relaxing drive.

When I stopped I would only charge to a max of 80% which for the most part worked fine. I ran into many EA chargers that were rated for 150kwh but would only do about 85kwh. The 350kwh chargers seem to have me charging at around 122kwh.

On the way home though I had a major issue with EA. They were having networks issues where even though you stop charging the network would not show your car was disconnected. So the first charge on the way home went well. Every charge after that I had to call to have them start the charge from their end as their network showed my car still plugged in hundreds of miles away. Unfortunately every time I called they were experiencing high call volume and on average took about 20-30 minutes to speak to someone that could start my charge then add that to the 20 minute charge time. So on the way down it took 11 hours and 30 minutes and on the way back over 15 hours. If you use google maps it shows it is a 10 hour and 30 minute drive with an ICE car.

The other odd issue I seem to be having now is on the app it shows my car is charged to 90% (normal at home charge limit) but when I get into the car it shows 88%. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
One thing that keeps DCFC chargers from delivering the max that they state (ie: 125kw or 150kw) is often related to the cheaper cable they use. If you look at the handle of the CCS cable, there is likely a plate that shows max V and max A. I've noticed that almost every time I get lower charge rate it is due to the DCFC using a 200A cable with a max of 1,000V. Given the car runs on a 400V platform, the max theoretical rate you'd receive, even at a lower SoC, would be 400V x 200A = 80kw. The reason you're seeing 350kw chargers do better is (I am willing to bet) because of the A limit on the cable which is higher.