Karen

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
With the destination charger, can anyone (with a tap) plug in there?
I use my TeslaTap every day. There are a few Tesla owners that look at me weird when I plug in the Tesla Destination charger into the Mach-E.

I purchased it at https://myteslatap.com.
The main reason is when you have a question and call them they answer the phone and are very informative.
Sponsored

Karen

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Something you might be interested in for future road trips is a Tesla Tap adapter that will let you use a Tesla Destination charger (not a Tesla Super Charger) with your Mach-E. The Tesla Tap Mini would be convenient to travel with and be a good backup on the road or at home if you happen to have a Tesla Wall Charger as I do and use it for home charging of my Mach-E.
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17
I use my TeslaTap every day. There are a few Tesla owners that look at me weird when I plug in the Tesla Destination charger into the Mach-E.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Thanks. They probably wonder who flipped the 3 to an E

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Thanks for posting and congratulations on making it home! The EA interface with Ford is a disaster. Sorry you had to find that, out on a first trip. You are a brave soul. From what I understand at this point it works best to use the EA app to set up the charger and initiate charging before plugging in. (This was a tip given by customer service at EA to a forum member, who found it worked).

The Ford range estimate is very pessimistic so you likely had more range than you thought when getting to your hotel. Might have saved a little tension if you knew that.

Great info about the car wash and wiper. Thanks.

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
From what I understand at this point it works best to use the EA app to set up the charger and initiate charging before plugging in. (This was a tip given by customer service at EA to a forum member, who found it worked).
This is interesting since all of them I dealt with made me plug it in first right up until they decided to give me a free charge. But I will test next time I am near a EA charger. Meanwhile I am still waiting for ford to get back to me why it keeps saying "Payment declined" when I do use P&C. For now I will avoid using P&C.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
These charging pains are what has me concerned..
As much as I want to see the MME become a wildly successful vehicle, if the issues observed in this thread are not resolved, Ford will have a PR and social media disaster, such as the Explorer experienced recently.

If this is still going on when there are 20 or 30K MME's on the road, like this summer, there are going to be repercussions.

As of now, our purchase decision is on hold. Sad. :(

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As much as I want to see the MME become a wildly successful vehicle, if the issues observed in this thread are not resolved, Ford will have a PR and social media disaster, such as the Explorer experienced recently.

If this is still going on when there are 20 or 30K MME's on the road, like this summer, there are going to be repercussions.

I wouldn't hold the purchase (as you can see). even with all of the growing pains, the Mach e is awesome and worth the purchase.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Agree with @Ixoye -- yeah, this stuff is annoying, but it's worth considering how much you are REALLY going to fast charge. Even before COVID I generally took maybe two or three road trips a year, and those were distances short enough that I would only need to use DCFC once in the middle (whenever we can travel again...) Seriously, this car is a blast to drive.

Besides, for all the folks who are having issues, lots of people are also charging quite successfully or with minimal headache. Worth remembering too, the free 250kW are good for quite a while -- I am pretty confident that P&C will only get more seamless with time.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As of now, our purchase decision is on hold. Sad.
I will continue to monitor this forum, I'm sure things will improve.

But, Ixoye, this MME would belong to my wife. If she had to put up with the charging problems you encountered, her MME would still be sitting in the parking lot of a car rental place somewhere in Colorado.

And she would be home. :)

A MME should not be only for highly tech literate people. Right now charging, at home and on the road, is not simple, and I have that opinion from reading this forum.

Remember, Ford is trying to wean new BEV customers from the gas pump.

No one can reasonably argue that charging is as quick and as easy as a gas pump, yet.

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is how its supposed to work for sure. But we all are having issues with it working reliably. If it does authenticate, it seems to randomly stop in the middle of charging.

Activating in the EA App bypasses the payment authorization on the machine and does it all on the back end. If you activate with the EA app, and then plug the connector in, the terminal is already authorized and ready to charge. It just asks the car for how much voltage to give it and then starts charging.

So basically this is a 3rd way to start charging, and seems to be the most reliable currently.
Tried to use ford app to start my charge at EA AND GOT THIS ERROR:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 1500 Mile Delivery Road Trip Home In a New Mach-E E2136B87-ECAB-401E-885A-CBF57213E85D

. Tried with EA app and it worked perfectly.

i did try the other chargers with the ford pass app before going to EA app.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tried to use ford app to start my charge at EA AND GOT THIS ERROR:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 1500 Mile Delivery Road Trip Home In a New Mach-E E2136B87-ECAB-401E-885A-CBF57213E85D

. Tried with EA app and it worked perfectly.

i did try the other chargers with the ford pass app before going to EA app.
Interesting, this may be further evidence that its not Plug&Charge that has weird issues. It may actually be the communication between ford and EA that is timing out or something causing so many failed charging sessions.

I noticed in Mach-E Vlog's video that he got a "Payment Declined" screen a few times while trying plug and charge. It could all just be an issue with actually authorizing the payment from Ford.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Interesting, this may be further evidence that its not Plug&Charge that has weird issues. It may actually be the communication between ford and EA that is timing out or something causing so many failed charging sessions.

I noticed in Mach-E Vlog's video that he got a "Payment Declined" screen a few times while trying plug and charge. It could all just be an issue with actually authorizing the payment from Ford.
someone somewhere on one of the podcasts, Tom or Kyle on InsideEVs maybe, said that he also thought it was along these lines as well, a Ford-EA payment authentication/authorization issue.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I will continue to monitor this forum, I'm sure things will improve.

But, Ixoye, this MME would belong to my wife. If she had to put up with the charging problems you encountered, her MME would still be sitting in the parking lot of a car rental place somewhere in Colorado.

And she would be home. :)

A MME should not be only for highly tech literate people. Right now charging, at home and on the road, is not simple, and I have that opinion from reading this forum.

Remember, Ford is trying to wean new BEV customers from the gas pump.

No one can reasonably argue that charging is as quick and as easy as a gas pump, yet.
For those of us who have easy home access to 240V Level 2 charging, charging is quicker and easier than using a gas pump, for daily driving. Yes, DCFC with EA is a problem, but 95% of all my charging is at home, at night, while I sleep. Takes a few seconds to plug in, and a few seconds more in the morning to unplug and hang the cord. My wife drives an ICE hybrid right now, I fuel her car every 10 days or so, each gas fill takes 15 to 20 minutes. I have to drive the car to the gas station since I do not have gas storage at home. My EV, I park next to my wall charger (located outside my garage), plug in every 3 or 4 days. Far, far, far more convenient, no question! Parking lot friends are often surprised when I point this out. Some have the mistaken perception that you plug in and have to stand or sit there watching (like at a gas station). Some have actually asked me what I do while waiting hours at a charger. When I mention 30 to 40 minutes of charge time at a public charger, time enough for lunch, they nod sagely as if some secret has now been revealed to them. You see, they have seen drivers at Tesla charge yards sitting in their cars reading or texting....

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those of us who have easy home access to 240V Level 2 charging, charging is quicker and easier than using a gas pump, for daily driving. Yes, DCFC with EA is a problem, but 95% of all my charging is at home, at night, while I sleep. Takes a few seconds to plug in, and a few seconds more in the morning to unplug and hang the cord. My wife drives an ICE hybrid right now, I fuel her car every 10 days or so, each gas fill takes 15 to 20 minutes. I have to drive the car to the gas station since I do not have gas storage at home. My EV, I park next to my wall charger (located outside my garage), plug in every 3 or 4 days. Far, far, far more convenient, no question! Parking lot friends are often surprised when I point this out. Some have the mistaken perception that you plug in and have to stand or sit there watching (like at a gas station). Some have actually asked me what I do while waiting hours at a charger. When I mention 30 to 40 minutes of charge time at a public charger, time enough for lunch, they nod sagely as if some secret has now been revealed to them. You see, they have seen drivers at Tesla charge yards sitting in their cars reading or texting....
This is what I do as well. Bounce between my other two EVs though. Might be time to install a second charger..

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, a very thoughtful post by Bruce (engnrng). I wonder if the fact that he is an engineer has anything to do with his success.

I ask, because not everyone has seamless Home Charging.

For instance, the thread https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/home-level-2-charger-issues.3656/page-39, has 39 pages with 584 posts of issues with home charging.

Wonder what they had to say?? Take a look.

If we want BEV's to be widely accepted, we are going to have to make charging, at home and on a road trip, as easy as this:

Hey, buddy, here's a $20. Give me regular on Pump 7.

As I said, I get my info from this great forum. :)
Sponsored