Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
These charging pains are what has me concerned..
Honestly, outside of trying to take advantage of the free 250kwh of Electrify America, it's really a non-issue. Plug and charge is pretty superfluous if you ask me. Just download the apps for Chargepoint, EVGO, EA, etc and sign up for accounts. Takes less than a minute to get a charge going. Yeah, it's annoying that Plug and Charge doesn't work seamlessly, but the hubbub being raised is a little much.
Sponsored

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well, a very thoughtful post by Bruce (engnrng). I wonder if the fact that he is an engineer has anything to do with his success.

I ask, because not everyone has seamless Home Charging.

For instance, the thread https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/home-level-2-charger-issues.3656/page-39, has 39 pages with 584 posts of issues with home charging.

Wonder what they had to say?? Take a look.

If we want BEV's to be widely accepted, we are going to have to make charging, at home and on a road trip, as easy as this:

Hey, buddy, here's a $20. Give me regular on Pump 7.

As I said, I get my info from this great forum. :)
I agree, AHNC. I will take a look at that link. I think charging at home is painless and brainless compared to gas stations. But, on a road trip, requires planning and contingencies, and,....time. For many of my friends and family, for the last few years, for 2 car families, I have recommended 1 car be PHEV or full electric. Then, as they get used to the experience of charging, and start to argue over who gets to drive the EV today, some become more comfortable going PHEV and full electric. The PHEV still gives them the care-free gas-up experience for road trips, but also introduces them to 150 mpg and once a month fill-ups. Takes a lot longer than I like, but anyone going in that direction helps the Cause. I have helped many go hybrid, some go PHEV, and now a few seriously considering or buying BEV. I have also learned that patience and persistence pays. I have also learned that the Mach E starts an EV conversation much quicker and easier than my Kona!!!!

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Yes Bruce, I completely endorse moving us over to BEV's, but I want Ford to be the company that is most successful at doing it.

I own 7,175 shares of Ford, so hell yeah, I want them to put out great vehicles.

Supposedly Ford is on this forum, so I hope they read all the threads detailing problems. Better that they learn about recurrent problems here, rather than on Facebook and Twitter.

And getting the most basic things right must include charging problems.

Unless Ford expects all their MME customers to be engineers. J/K. ;)

donvo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Glad you and the family are enjoying the Mach-E, I appreciate you sharing your story and experience with others. I am the New Car Manager at Mike Maroone Ford and am delighted that you had a world class experience while here. If anyone else is looking for a Mach-E please reach out we would love to help you! Thank you!
[email protected]

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Why did you have to disable plug n charge? Would it just say error otherwise? For me I don't have to disable it - if it doesn't work EA asks for payment and then I just use my EA card on my phone, but sounds like the EA card in your phone wallet doesn't work either. Very odd you have had so many issues. Mine doesn't seem to have charging faults once it is going, just can take a few tries to get it going. To be fair I have only used a single EA charger local to me. I also saw 160kW charging in 40 degree weather after driving for an hour.
My two cents: I have had an EA account for about 18 months. I don't use the FordPass app, for several reasons.

I simply use my EA app, which was recently updated to a slicker interface, and I always get the reduced pricing. I know that P&C is all the rage, and I agree that charging should work that way.

But really, I just drive up, plug in, swipe the EA app, and it works. I seldom get the charging faults (I did once), I get the reduced rate, and I don't have to let Ford have access to my private info via the FordPass app.

I think that P&C is the future. But it might be a year or so in the future for me. I have had good luck with EA over the last year and a half, without Ford in the equation. I don't plan to change any time soon.

fwiw.

Cralos1

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Country flag
Overall is this car ready for the real world?

I've a traditional 2017 Mustang which I drove 70,000 miles per year pre Pandemic without a fault for work.

I've bought a Mach-e but I'm having pre flight nerves and wondering whether to stick with gas...

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

I've a traditional 2017 Mustang which I drove 70,000 miles per year pre Pandemic without a fault for work.

I've bought a Mach-e but I'm having pre flight nerves and wondering whether to stick with gas...
That's a lot of miles. Like 270 per business day each year lot of miles lol. I'm not really sure that's a typical real world experience ?.

As much as I hate to say it, you might not be able to use an EV for your work quite yet unless you can charge at home and add some time to your road trips for charging.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Yes, there are some bugs that have to get worked out. What you see on here is magnified by the detractors; those that are happy (the majority) don't post about it every day.

Yes, overall it is "ready for the world". The early problems with the low voltage battery draining that some experienced has been fixed.

Yes, it is a capable car that you can take on long trips. There's that guy Sergio who drove cross country and a half dozen members here that have also taken trips over 1000 miles successfully. To avoid frustration, use the app to initiate charging if you're worried about it. Plan your trip ahead of time with abetterrouteplanner to map out the best routes for charging and to get an idea of where to stop for meals/overnights.

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag

I don't put 70k miles/yr so can't comment on that. I love my Mach-E and would buy it again knowing the warts. Then again I'm used to beta testing things, and like early Access. I will say though that Ford seems unprepared for this release.

Cralos1

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Country flag
Yes, there are some bugs that have to get worked out. What you see on here is magnified by the detractors; those that are happy (the majority) don't post about it every day.

Yes, overall it is "ready for the world". The early problems with the low voltage battery draining that some experienced has been fixed.

Yes, it is a capable car that you can take on long trips. There's that guy Sergio who drove cross country and a half dozen members here that have also taken trips over 1000 miles successfully. To avoid frustration, use the app to initiate charging if you're worried about it. Plan your trip ahead of time with abetterrouteplanner to map out the best routes for charging and to get an idea of where to stop for meals/overnights.
Perfect - I really want to be part of a non Tesla EV world. This was the first car that turned my head and despite jitters I'm looking forward to owning it.

Cralos1

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Country flag
That's a lot of miles. Like 270 per business day each year lot of miles lol. I'm not really sure that's a typical real world experience ?.

As much as I hate to say it, you might not be able to use an EV for your work quite yet unless you can charge at home and add some time to your road trips for charging.
Yep - national patch with regular coast to coast trips based from Utah.

My traditional Mustang combined with good winter tyres managed everything. It was a pleasure.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
I will continue to monitor this forum, I'm sure things will improve.

But, Ixoye, this MME would belong to my wife. If she had to put up with the charging problems you encountered, her MME would still be sitting in the parking lot of a car rental place somewhere in Colorado.

And she would be home. :)

A MME should not be only for highly tech literate people. Right now charging, at home and on the road, is not simple, and I have that opinion from reading this forum.

Remember, Ford is trying to wean new BEV customers from the gas pump.

No one can reasonably argue that charging is as quick and as easy as a gas pump, yet.
I would change that to say, "No one can reasonably argue that _DC Fast Charging_ is as quick and as easy..."

Because 95 percent of my charging, and I have 30,000 miles driving EVs, is much easier than gas pumps. I use, of course, L2 chargers at home and at work.

So if 90-95% of "refueling" is easier, and 5-10% is slightly harder and certainly slower, well, that seems a good compromise to me. ymmv.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Honestly, outside of trying to take advantage of the free 250kwh of Electrify America, it's really a non-issue. Plug and charge is pretty superfluous if you ask me. Just download the apps for Chargepoint, EVGO, EA, etc and sign up for accounts. Takes less than a minute to get a charge going. Yeah, it's annoying that Plug and Charge doesn't work seamlessly, but the hubbub being raised is a little much.
I completely agree.

And I think, but I'm not sure, if you use the EA app and are paying $4/month, it's 0.31/kwhr, not 0.4x/kwhr.

I mean, you just tap, tap, and slide on your phone, and it's charging. Not really a big deal.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I completely agree.

And I think, but I'm not sure, if you use the EA app and are paying $4/month, it's 0.31/kwhr, not 0.4x/kwhr.

I mean, you just tap, tap, and slide on your phone, and it's charging. Not really a big deal.
I think the problem is perception. At first DCFC seems complicated, but once you go through it you realize it's not really much different then pulling up to a gas pump, getting out your credit card for that brand, swiping the card, selecting the blend, taking the nozzle out, lifting the activator, putting the nozzle in, etc.

Heck, my wife used to go crazy clipping coupons, organizing said coupons, digging through grocery store ads to plan out her shopping trip, making lists, etc. That seemed like a whole lot of effort to buy cereal I didn't like anyway ?

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I think the problem is perception. At first DCFC seems complicated, but once you go through it you realize it's not really much different then pulling up to a gas pump, getting out your credit card for that brand, swiping the card, selecting the blend, taking the nozzle out, lifting the activator, putting the nozzle in, etc.
No offense, guys, but I don't think that you actually read Post #1. Below is just a sample of problems the OP encountered.

Far from plugging in and filling. Sorry. The OP had to do 15 charges for a 1,500 trip.

What I want to read about is a 1,500 mile trip with no charging faults. Is that asking too much? And I am a Ford "fanboy", but that has limits.

Charge 7: EA location at a Sinclair Stinker station. Plugged in, the car was recognized and started to charge. After 3 minutes charger fault. Started it again got 8% then charger fault. Swapped to different spot and it started got 2% and fault, went to 3rd location charged 1% and fault. Pulled into 4th and last option and got 9% then fault. Called EA again and they rebooted the 4th charging station and then gave me free charge which they initiated, got 48% more and we had enough for the next leg. Which was Mountain Home Idaho (just outside of Boise).

Charge 8: EA at Walmart in Mountain Home, pulled in with 2% tried to use plug and charge but was hit with the payment declined error that people were seeing. I was in a hurry since I was late getting to dinner at this point and time so I disabled P&C and then used my CC to add 29% to get me easily into Boise.
Charge 9: EA at Walmart Boise, Turned on P&C prior and tried it with the normal error. Went back to disabling the feature and used my CC. Brother picked us up and we went and had dinner. About 45 minutes later I realized my ford app was blowing up in my pocket and it was telling me that we needed to move the vehicle since it was idle. I looked and it only got 3% added before a charge fault had happened. Drove back to the car and tried to charge again on different station made another 24% before fault, swapped another location 12% then fault, another 17% fault, and called they rebooted and were able to get another 18% and we headed out. We had called and the hotel said they had EV chargers, I asked what kind they said Tesla. I told them that wouldn’t work for me which they then said, we have 1 normal charger. I thought that would be a bonus to charge overnight on a Type 2. Headed up Blue pass in Oregon on route to the next EA station 89 miles away.
Sponsored