Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No offense, guys, but I don't think that you actually read Post #1. Below is just a sample of problems the OP encountered.

Far from plugging in and filling. Sorry. The OP had to do 15 charges for a 1,500 trip.

What I want to read about is a 1,500 mile trip with no charging faults. Is that asking too much? And I am a Ford "fanboy", but that has limits.
Of course the charge faults have to be fixed; they are being worked on by Ford so I expect those to be fixed in a reasonable time frame. I was speaking in general for BEV adoption, not the Mach E specifically.
Sponsored

Deleted member 9461

@Ixoye ,
Your post is coming on a year, how's the MME? I'm picking mine up today.
we made the trek from (Bremerton) WA to Denver in AUG...that is a tough trip, Specially from Boise to Salt lake - then that stretch to Frisco, CO. we were towing a tiny camper, so that taxed us on range. That charger at Sinclair Stinker was go/no go for our trip, unless we went to a campground. trip was probably 80% EA chargers, and it's disheartening, when you have to pee, and you have to mess with, plug/unplug/move to the next tower. the App worked (mostly) had a chargepoint that wouldn't activate, called and the tech couldn't find it, not totally sure if a free charge after 15 min of calls and voodoo magic is a good trade. the CEO of EA says he reads plugshare comments daily, so definitely post your experience, so follow on drivers can stretch their underwear, also EA knows the fux capacitor isn't working. curious if you have returned to Colorado since the purchase. You are absolutely brave to get a new EV, and cannon ball to break in, and learn it. you mentioned you have EV experience, so that may have been a bit prepatory, but I honestly have to commend you. there's a gazzillion things that could have happened with a new car/new model, and you bravely took your family. the trip down from Colorado to washington is a smidge easier, I say smidge, cause down hill. but once at Ellensburg/Cle Elum, you feel like your in an 80's dystopian movie going over "THE PASS"!!!! Do I stop at North Bend and charge, or do I YOLO to home. really, really great write up. My wife and I read your report (she has family in Denver), she was like, wow that's and adventurous family, we need to have dinner with them!!!!!
Be safe team.

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
@Ixoye ,
Your post is coming on a year, how's the MME? I'm picking mine up today.
we made the trek from (Bremerton) WA to Denver in AUG...that is a tough trip, Specially from Boise to Salt lake - then that stretch to Frisco, CO. we were towing a tiny camper, so that taxed us on range. That charger at Sinclair Stinker was go/no go for our trip, unless we went to a campground. trip was probably 80% EA chargers, and it's disheartening, when you have to pee, and you have to mess with, plug/unplug/move to the next tower. the App worked (mostly) had a chargepoint that wouldn't activate, called and the tech couldn't find it, not totally sure if a free charge after 15 min of calls and voodoo magic is a good trade. the CEO of EA says he reads plugshare comments daily, so definitely post your experience, so follow on drivers can stretch their underwear, also EA knows the fux capacitor isn't working. curious if you have returned to Colorado since the purchase. You are absolutely brave to get a new EV, and cannon ball to break in, and learn it. you mentioned you have EV experience, so that may have been a bit prepatory, but I honestly have to commend you. there's a gazzillion things that could have happened with a new car/new model, and you bravely took your family. the trip down from Colorado to washington is a smidge easier, I say smidge, cause down hill. but once at Ellensburg/Cle Elum, you feel like your in an 80's dystopian movie going over "THE PASS"!!!! Do I stop at North Bend and charge, or do I YOLO to home. really, really great write up. My wife and I read your report (she has family in Denver), she was like, wow that's and adventurous family, we need to have dinner with them!!!!!
Be safe team.
My thoughts after 17k miles on my MME is mostly positive. My biggest complaint is that I have never ever seen anything close to 270miles on a full charge, closest I have ever seen is 240 miles. But as far as the car goes, it is meeting my expectations. I have spent a little more time taking care of recall's than I would prefer but expected on a v1 car in my opinion. My family doesn't prefer the stiff suspension. e.g. last week we took it down to Auburn for VBall tournament and this week we have to go back for another and the kids and DW informed me that we will be taking the land yacht (Suburban) this time.

I haven't driven it back to CO, but have taken a couple of trips to Boise. I haven't had any issues with Chargers along the way. I even stopped into the Huntington OR EA station and it worked fine this time around. I didn't need to stop there, but did out of curiosity more than anything.

As far as EV's go, I have the Ford Focus EV (kids car), and I have the Fusion Energi (only 15-25m on full charge) so there was never range anxiety when driving it since it had gas hybrid backing up the PHEV. However with that car I was able to drive back and forth to my office (MSFT) on a charge, and charged at work which over time I was able to get my AVG MPG to over 70MPG which was pretty cool. There is nothing cooler than always have a car with 90% full tank of gas (even if right now that is only 180miles) ready in the morning when you need the car. Rarely do I stop for gas (just the Land Yacht). hence why the MME has 17k miles and the suburban only probably 9k miles this last year.

It's fun to see more and more MME's on the streets. My small town here now has 3 of them, and I see plenty around Woodinville and Redmond when I am driving through there. Heck I just returned from Boise about 3 weeks ago and even saw another one there. First time I had seen one other than mine.

Good luck, and if you do drive back to CO, don't go through WY, it wasn't EV friendly when I looked at going that way home. Stick to i70 (which is truly beautiful and probably more fun to drive when it isn't snowing).

Deleted member 9461

@Ixoye,
When we went to Denver, we planned with ABRP and Plugshare. Plugshare tried to get us through WY. Cause trips like that we camp. love my MYPOD camper, we use it a lot, if there is a gap of any size, we have had campgrounds to stop at. So for the route, we poured over both apps, and used the elevation button on plugshare to help gauge, speed of driving vs next charger. we did hit 2 campgrounds at 8 PM, and just charged to 100, woke up at what ever, and continued. I'm retired military, so trying to learn not to do 1000 MPH and JUST GET THERE DAMMIT. Lot of good little towns along that route. the first time, we hit a truck stop in Baker OR, and charged at a welding plug. I have a service dog and she needs to walk, so we actually went running for an hour and a half, that gave us a decent buffer = smash the go pedal. Salt Lake was pretty sweet, so many chargers, and campgrounds. The hill getting to Frisco was sweaty hahahaha. I am super glad you had a successful trip with the car. we are getting ours shortly. Sunday we are either doing the calibrated drive to Portland or CLe elum. see how it behaves!!!! I am very impressed with your voyage! With the 14 year old driving, I just pictured the theme to Hard Castle & McCormick

MrsZuko

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White MME GTPE
Occupation
NP
Country flag
As noted in previous posts, I ended up finding a GB FE from Longmont Colorado who honored the X-Plan pricing and were very pleasant to deal with. Compared to my local dealers in Seattle area with GB’s asking for 7-10k ADM.
Do you mind sharing which dealership in Longmont? I am in Colorado Springs and am having the worst time with the dealership I am working with right now. They didn't place my order for 3 months and I asked them about working with me on an identical MME to the one I ordered that their sister dealership has in stock...They want to charge an ADM of almost 25k, no thanks. ? I'm just done with them, willing to cut my losses and work with someone who might actually want my business.

Great post by the way, I really enjoyed reading it, sorry I'm almost a year late to the party! ?

OP
OP
Ixoye

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
Do you mind sharing which dealership in Longmont? I am in Colorado Springs and am having the worst time with the dealership I am working with right now. They didn't place my order for 3 months and I asked them about working with me on an identical MME to the one I ordered that their sister dealership has in stock...They want to charge an ADM of almost 25k, no thanks. ? I'm just done with them, willing to cut my losses and work with someone who might actually want my business.

Great post by the way, I really enjoyed reading it, sorry I'm almost a year late to the party! ?
it was Mike Maroone Ford

https://www.mikemaroonefordlongmont.com/

KyloRen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME22 Cal Rt1 eAWD
Country flag
Wow! Got tense reading your post ! You are very brave and must have a lot of experience with EVs, and your family must be quite supportive and trusting. My wife panics when my fuel pointer drops below 50% (ICE)!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Enjoy the new shiny Mach-E!
Sponsored