RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Sure.

I also plan a trip very conservatively, i.e. a recent trip in mid-March I planned at 2.3 miles per kWh, knowing it would be cold. It was 17 when we departed, and we achieved 2.35 on the way down and 2.89 on the way back (2 weeks later).

When you lay out a trip, you will be able to see the pressure points, if any. Ours was the first and last legs. First leg is 197 miles. So we hit a charger an hour in to add a buffer (unneeded it turned out). Last leg was 161 miles, but in the boonies, so we left the previous charger with 91% range and arrived with 16% left (and had a fallback charger near the destination if needed).

Every other stop was much closer together, and therefore whether I used 2.3 or 2.5 or 2.7 it wouldn't matter much.

Finally, some states charge by the kWh, some by the minute (Electrify America network). By the minute is 1/2 the cost. I charge as little as possible in per kWh states, and as much as possible in per minute states, while on a trip.
Sponsored

JPMACH

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sure.

I also plan a trip very conservatively, i.e. a recent trip in mid-March I planned at 2.3 miles per kWh, knowing it would be cold. It was 17 when we departed, and we achieved 2.35 on the way down and 2.89 on the way back (2 weeks later).

When you lay out a trip, you will be able to see the pressure points, if any. Ours was the first and last legs. First leg is 197 miles. So we hit a charger an hour in to add a buffer (unneeded it turned out). Last leg was 161 miles, but in the boonies, so we left the previous charger with 91% range and arrived with 16% left (and had a fallback charger near the destination if needed).

Every other stop was much closer together, and therefore whether I used 2.3 or 2.5 or 2.7 it wouldn't matter much.

Finally, some states charge by the kWh, some by the minute (Electrify America network). By the minute is 1/2 the cost. I charge as little as possible in per kWh states, and as much as possible in per minute states, while on a trip.
I am in Northern MI so the cold weather really has an impact on range. The good news is the majority of our driving is local but from time to time we go down State to visit our daughter and there are no close fast chargers, just L2's. We always stop at Bay City (EA). Our next trip is Grand Rapids , but I think I saw EA Stations there. I was not aware of charging by kWh, that is good to know. It seems like EA's are the best charging option (locations and speed).

I have not paid too much attention to the kWh, I have to start doing that, all of this feedback really helps me...thank you!!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Michigan is a per kWh state, just like O_io. There are no EA DC chargers in or near Grand Rapids. You have about 100 miles from the last EA location, in Cadillac, MI, so arriving at your destination with enough charge will be a non-issue. If you can't charge enough to go home, there is a BP northeast of town with ChargePoint 125kW chargers, and a Meijer northwest of town with ChargePoint 62.5kw chargers. Southeast of town is Meijer with ChargePoint 125kW chargers. Use PlugShare to not be surprised, and setup a ChargePoint account before leaving.

Remember, if you visit for days, using the included mobile charger on 110v will give you about 3 miles of range an hour. Over a couple of days, you'll be fully charged.

JPMACH

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Michigan is a per kWh state, just like O_io. There are no EA DC chargers in or near Grand Rapids. You have about 100 miles from the last EA location, in Cadillac, MI, so arriving at your destination with enough charge will be a non-issue. If you can't charge enough to go home, there is a BP northeast of town with ChargePoint 125kW chargers, and a Meijer northwest of town with ChargePoint 62.5kw chargers. Southeast of town is Meijer with ChargePoint 125kW chargers. Use PlugShare to not be surprised, and setup a ChargePoint account before leaving.

Remember, if you visit for days, using the included mobile charger on 110v will give you about 3 miles of range an hour. Over a couple of days, you'll be fully charged.
I have a ChargePoint Charger at home and I do have an account. I did see a couple of ChargePoint Stations in Grand Rapids and if I need to charge up there then I will stop at one of them. I did stop at the Meijer in Cadillac once to charge but primarily stopped in Bay City. Does Michigan need to change to EA's charging model? I have my Ford mobile charger in the car just in case I need to use it on the road, so far I have not needed to

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint Charger at home and I do have an account. I did see a couple of ChargePoint Stations in Grand Rapids and if I need to charge up there then I will stop at one of them. I did stop at the Meijer in Cadillac once to charge but primarily stopped in Bay City. Does Michigan need to change to EA's charging model? I have my Ford mobile charger in the car just in case I need to use it on the road, so far I have not needed to
what does that mean?

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What's interesting here is that @BadgerGreg's car immediately failed after this successful trip. Had it happened a few hundred miles ago, this thread would be much different. Great dodge on that.
Yeah, I felt I might confuse people doing a 180 between my last two posts.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By the minute is better from what I've read. MI needs to change to by the minute?
Ah.

Yes, by the minute works out to about 1/2 the cost, i.e. very comparable to what some pay for their home electricity. In my experience, an EA charger delivers between 1.6 and 1.75 kW per minute. Therefore, using EA's per kW rates on Pass+ $0.24 per minute:

$0.24 / 1.75 = 13.7 cents per kWh. $0.24 / 1.6 = 15 cents per kWh.

Most states are per kWh, not per minute. Per minute is in states that prohibit per kWh charging, and EA is lobbying states to change this. Therefore, zero chance any state will change back to per minute.

JPMACH

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ah.

Yes, by the minute works out to about 1/2 the cost, i.e. very comparable to what some pay for their home electricity. In my experience, an EA charger delivers between 1.6 and 1.75 kW per minute. Therefore, using EA's per kW rates on Pass+ $0.24 per minute:

$0.24 / 1.75 = 13.7 cents per kWh. $0.24 / 1.6 = 15 cents per kWh.

Most states are per kWh, not per minute. Per minute is in states that prohibit per kWh charging, and EA is lobbying states to change this. Therefore, zero chance any state will change back to per minute.
I do not know what the savings are vs gas in those states that charge per minute but if they want to promote EV's they should change to per minute.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not know what the savings are vs gas in those states that charge per minute but if they want to promote EV's they should change to per minute.
They aren't trying to save you money. They, EA, is trying to either make money or cover costs. Charging 1/2 the cost for electricity doesn't accomplish that.

JPMACH

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They aren't trying to save you money. They, EA, is trying to either make money or cover costs. Charging 1/2 the cost for electricity doesn't accomplish that.
thats what I am afraid of

adamtbest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on my Mustang Mach E Select AWD on order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
#6 is funny to me. Being born in and now working in Kentucky I guess I'm use to seeing Bourbon everywhere.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
#6 is funny to me. Being born in and now working in Kentucky I guess I'm use to seeing Bourbon everywhere.
Yes #6 is interesting. Not a fan but tempted to do a road test there and check it out. Any excuse to go for a drive!

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
89% to driving is good! Nice report.
Sponsored