2 dots of rust on passenger side, uneven driver door with front fender?

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD with Tech pkg
Country flag
My 2021 MME select is celebrating 2 years today, and we've driven it for close to 40k km now. Generally quite happy besides PaaK, which will be a nightmare of the past soon, thanks to getting a 2nd key now! I'm about to take it to the dealer for the first time for a few recalls.

I noticed 2 things and searched/didn't find anything about it here. First is about rust. I have 2 tiny specks of rust, one on right front fender, the other on the right back fender. Took close up pictures of them. I don't see any reason for being hit by rocks or anything at these locations. I do live in a cold area (Quebec province, close to Montreal), but my 2009 CR-V doesn't even have that! I also noticed rust insider the door (picture again).

Do you think I can get the dealer to do something under warranty about this?

The other concerning thing is the slight misalignment of the driver door with the front fender and the top of the rear passenger door. Anyone has seen that before? Really not sure if that's a big deal, but it is concerning for me! As if the car structure somewhat worked incorrectly. Anyone else has that?

PXL_20230529_004242134.jpg

PXL_20230529_004301796.MP.jpg

PXL_20230529_004055802.jpg

PXL_20230529_004029273.jpg

PXL_20230529_004026345.jpg

PXL_20230529_004213156.jpg

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles. Isn’t 40,000 km less than 25,000 miles? Definitely try the dealer.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My driver door was misaligned and the dealer repaired it under warranty. I don't know what warranty covers rust, but maybe they will fix it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My driver door was misaligned and the dealer repaired it under warranty. I don't know what warranty covers rust, but maybe they will fix it.
Alignment issues should be covered. But rust warranties usually require perforation before they're covered.

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hum, I'm quite certain the rear fender is rust. And the front fender dot also got "textured" like rust would do I'm pretty sure.. but if that article is correct, I have to be wrong about what it is!

The car is with the dealer now, I'll know by end of week what they think it is!

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
It only takes a magnet to confirm fenders and hood are made of aluminum. So it can’t be rust. It’s likely a paint chip.

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
Yeah - Had my dealer struggle to find anything magnetic to put a sign on the car. Roof is glas, front is aluminium, rear is mostly plastic :)

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Door was re-adjusted, it's much better.

For the rest, they claim it's not rust, and, for the front fender, i have to agree for sure, it's not steel!

However doors and read fender is definitely steel, the magnet test showed it, and, i'm pretty sure the last spot i found on the driver door is rust (this latest photo shows my magnetic light stuck on the car firmly, right next to what i'm quite sure is rust)

At my next visit to the dealer, i'll argue some more with the techs!

PXL_20230902_172300647.jpg

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
My 2021 MME select is celebrating 2 years today, and we've driven it for close to 40k km now. Generally quite happy besides PaaK, which will be a nightmare of the past soon, thanks to getting a 2nd key now! I'm about to take it to the dealer for the first time for a few recalls.

I noticed 2 things and searched/didn't find anything about it here. First is about rust. I have 2 tiny specks of rust, one on right front fender, the other on the right back fender. Took close up pictures of them. I don't see any reason for being hit by rocks or anything at these locations. I do live in a cold area (Quebec province, close to Montreal), but my 2009 CR-V doesn't even have that! I also noticed rust insider the door (picture again).

Do you think I can get the dealer to do something under warranty about this?

The other concerning thing is the slight misalignment of the driver door with the front fender and the top of the rear passenger door. Anyone has seen that before? Really not sure if that's a big deal, but it is concerning for me! As if the car structure somewhat worked incorrectly. Anyone else has that?

PXL_20230529_004242134.jpg

PXL_20230529_004301796.MP.jpg

PXL_20230529_004055802.jpg

PXL_20230529_004029273.jpg

PXL_20230529_004026345.jpg

PXL_20230529_004213156.jpg
Crikey! What have you been trapping in your door? Impact damage inside dooorshut at door catch, broken paint due to impact/chip on door means Ford can avoid warranty claim and I don’t even know what caused that door misalignment low down, or is wing dented in there?

Looks like the sort of damage I do to mine😂😂😂😂

Seems unlikely covered under warranty, unfortunately.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
While aluminum doesn’t “rust”, it can oxidize, different alloys are more prone than others.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Aluminum oxide is white powder. It’s what’s in toothpaste that polishes your teeth.
Have you tried a iron remover? Some times there’s iron fall out that gets embedded in the paint. This stuff desolves it. But if it’s bubbling the paint that could make it worse. It looks to me like a small chunk of iron.
Adam's Iron Remover (16oz) - Iron Out Fallout Rust Remover Spray for Car Detailing | Remove Iron Particles in Car Paint, Motorcycle, RV & Boat | Use Before Clay Bar, Car Wax or Car Wash https://a.co/d/fHTiKre

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Door was re-adjusted, it's much better.

For the rest, they claim it's not rust, and, for the front fender, i have to agree for sure, it's not steel!

However doors and read fender is definitely steel, the magnet test showed it, and, i'm pretty sure the last spot i found on the driver door is rust (this latest photo shows my magnetic light stuck on the car firmly, right next to what i'm quite sure is rust)

At my next visit to the dealer, i'll argue some more with the techs!

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2 dots of rust on passenger side, uneven driver door with front fender? PXL_20230902_172300647
As far as the rust on the aluminum panel-

It is possible, but it’s not from the panel.

You could have a piece of metal that landed on the car and rusted.

People have that issue for any car that rode on a train. Been a while since your car was on a train, but it could be from something else.

RalfMenger

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Opel
Country flag
Contrary to popular belief, aluminimum is not entirely resistant to rust (although here it is more a case of oxidation when it comes to its corrosion). Aluminium products can be particularly protected against corrosion by reinforcing the oxide layer through anodising or surface treatments such as painting. During anodising, the oxide layer is artificially formed. It protects the aluminium from reacting with water and seals it hermetically.
Sponsored