RickMachE

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4X, Fusion Energi (for sale), F-150
Country flag
--------------

If you set your max charge to 80% this should not be an issue anywhere.
True, but EA gives a 10 minute grace period at the end of charging, and then you pay to not charge, 40 cents a minute, which costs more than charging. I think I would rather pay for slow charging than no charging. 🤔
Advertisement

Last edited:

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
True, but EA gives a 10 minute grace period at then end of charging, and then you pay to not charge, 40 cents a minute, which costs more than charging. I think I would rather pay for slow charging than no charging. 🤔

------------

Gotcha, figured if you set to 80% it would stop and you would not be charged. ohh well. that sucks...but understandable as you don't want to hog a spot.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E (CA RT1), 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
--------------

If you set your max charge to 80% this should not be an issue anywhere.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no general setting to "charge to x%"; you have to have charged somewhere at least once to set the preference for that location

OP
OP
NJDevFan30

NJDevFan30

Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '18 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
What were your distractions for the kids?
In the car we loaded up on coloring books, those Melissa & Doug Water Wow paint books, car friendly activities, books, and the iPad made more than one appearance :)

For outside on our stops, besides the chalk we had these big magnetic dominoes and a ball. Many of the chargers are tucked away in a parking lot so you do have some space without the kids running around in a busy parking lot.

We over prepared with stuff but in reality we needed to plan our days so we weren't driving for more than 2 hours or so with awake kids.
  • On both legs of the trip we did a zoo stop (Columbus and St. Louis). Both also had free Level 2 chargers. Thanks PlugShare!
  • Playground stops
  • Meals
  • Naps and driving after falling asleep at night
It wasn't perfect but they did better than I would have guessed. Pack your patience and be willing to stretch out the trip to accommodate more stopping than you would without young kids.

OP
OP
NJDevFan30

NJDevFan30

Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '18 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks for the write-up. I, too, am a Penn Stater and recently moved from State College to Pasadena, CA. I'm picking up my GT Performance in State College in November and am trying to decide whether to drive it back to CA or have it shipped. This will be my first EV, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the cross-country drive. The more I read about successful long distance excursions, the more I'm leaning toward the drive.

P.S. The team is looking pretty good today. We are!
Penn State! They're looking good. Next road trip is next weekend for the Auburn game.

I'd vote for doing the drive! A few notes on planning which may help ease your concerns:
  • A Better Routeplanner: Used to plan our trip in advance. Found that it was overly conservative even with adjusting some of the settings. Because it doesn't pull real-time data from the car, I found it had limited value on the drive but very useful for getting an idea in advance of where stations are.
  • PlugShare: Useful for finding hotels with chargers, checking charger locations and availability.
  • Mach-E Navigation: We used it almost exclusively and found that it did a good job of mapping out stations. There are some flaws but it did do a good job identifying stations and giving feedback on how long to charge at each. Image below as an example of how it maps out stations and shows available range.
  • @Mach-E VLOG posted a video with good info on the planning tools. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/road-trip-planning-tools.8318/
Out of curiosity, can you switch dealers so it's delivered to CA?

20210828_104854.jpg

RickMachE

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4X, Fusion Energi (for sale), F-150
Country flag

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium ER AWD (Black)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good write up; I’ve experienced many of the same things. I’ve come to the conclusion that I should not trust the charging data collected by the MME, especially the charging logs. They can be really inaccurate and sometimes ridiculously off the mark.

However, the car is a very solid road-tripper and I’ve always been confident with range. I just hope that Ford can do a better job with the charging curve.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think the 33kW is the default output when the EA charger doesn't know what to do. I'm not sure if it is an EA problem or a MME problem. I'd lean toward an EA charger problem because I have the same experience from you: if i switch bays or even just chargers at the same bay, things go back to normal. I'm sure others here can shed some more light on this issue.
The 33KW is due to the cable chiller in the EA unit not working. It defaults to 30-35 KW in that case. If you start to charge and do not hear the high pitched whining from the EA unit, the chiller is broken, so try another charger. If the unit is made by ABB and you are in a hot climate, probability is high that it will be broken.

ncaadam

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
The 33KW is due to the cable chiller in the EA unit not working. It defaults to 30-35 KW in that case. If you start to charge and do not hear the high pitched whining from the EA unit, the chiller is broken, so try another charger. If the unit is made by ABB and you are in a hot climate, probability is high that it will be broken.
Extremely useful information! Thank you

tgcrun

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Porsche 911 C4S, 2020 Porsche Macan
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Penn State! They're looking good. Next road trip is next weekend for the Auburn game.

I'd vote for doing the drive! A few notes on planning which may help ease your concerns:
  • A Better Routeplanner: Used to plan our trip in advance. Found that it was overly conservative even with adjusting some of the settings. Because it doesn't pull real-time data from the car, I found it had limited value on the drive but very useful for getting an idea in advance of where stations are.
  • PlugShare: Useful for finding hotels with chargers, checking charger locations and availability.
  • Mach-E Navigation: We used it almost exclusively and found that it did a good job of mapping out stations. There are some flaws but it did do a good job identifying stations and giving feedback on how long to charge at each. Image below as an example of how it maps out stations and shows available range.
  • @Mach-E VLOG posted a video with good info on the planning tools. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/road-trip-planning-tools.8318/
Out of curiosity, can you switch dealers so it's delivered to CA?

20210828_104854.jpg
Sorry for the late reply. My car was supposed to start being built last week. As it gets closer to completion and I have an exact delivery date, I'll decide what to do. I asked my PA dealer to look into having it delivered to a CA dealer, so we'll see what happens there. I've purchased several cars from the PA dealer, and they didn't charge a markup. We're attending a wedding in DC in November and will pay a visit to State College during that trip. Both my sons live there, and I still have some business interests there. I've enjoyed seeing the country on our previous cross-country drives, so right now I'm leaning in that direction.

Enjoy the White Out. I had season tickets for 30 years and am going to miss tailgating and the Beaver Stadium atmosphere. I'm hoping PSU makes it to the Rose Bowl in the near future.

Rjm

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired- probably oldest Mach E owner in the US- 83 yrs
Country flag
Great write up and I'm sure a great trip. You mentioned you have an infinite Blue Mach e and also met one on the trip. I also have an infinite Blue and I think its a great looking car. It's beyond me why Ford would discontinue that color when it seems so popular.

Advertisement

Advertisement