Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I just completed a trip to Hamvention in Xenia, OH from the Boston area. I convoyed with an ICE vehicle and conservatively planned out the charging stops. I charged up to 100% at home and met up with the ICE vehicle. We setup communications between vehicles using a two meter ham simplex frequency.

The first charging stop was EA Walmart in Newburgh, NY with 22% SOC remaining. I thought I would have to wait as two vehicles were charging and PlugShare indicated only two chargers were working. One of the other chargers was working and I was able to plug in. As the picture shows, three MMEs from MA, VT, and NY. By the time we had a late lunch and the other vehicle was ready to go, my car had charged for 51 minutes and left with 95% SOC. I love the improved charging curve.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2000 Mile Road Trip from Boston MA to Xenia, OH and Back NewburgNY

The second charging stop was EA Sheetz in Bloomsburg, PA with 50% SOC remaining. It is located on a road parallel to the interstate, so get off at one exit, charge, and get back on down the road. Sheetz is an interesting chain with various vending machines and made-to-order food. I signed up for EA Pass+ before the trip, but found I still had Plug & Charge active in FordPass. I turned it off and used the EA App to activate my first Pass+ charge. It was getting late, so we ate at the Arby's next door instead of going to the Twilight Diner. My car charged for 39 minutes and left with 97% SOC.

Interstate 80 is a good route out to Ohio, but my friend wanted to go through a tunnel. We turned south on Interstate 99 and spent the night in Bellefonte, PA. In past trips with an ICE vehicle, I have stayed in DuBois, PA or Brookville, PA. The trip is at least 14 hours of driving each way and people I know who tried it in one go regretted it. The car had 69% SOC when we left the hotel the next morning. We continued south on Interstate 99.

The first charging stop of the day was EA Sheetz in Bedford, PA. It turns out this is always a planned stop by my friend for breakfast sandwiches. The chargers are in a parking area adjoining the Sheetz. The car charged for 35 minutes and went from 41% SOC to 90% SOC. We got on the PA Turnpike and went through the tunnel.

The second charging stop was EA Walmart in Cambridge, Ohio with 30% SOC remaining. We were there for 45 minutes and the car charged to 93% SOC. We ran into a traffic jam going through Columbus, OH, but finally arrived at the hotel with 69% SOC.

The hotel has two Blink Level 2 EVSEs. I decided to charge the second night I was there. I could not activate the charger through the roaming agreement with ChargePoint, so I signed up for a Blink account. The car charged from 16% SOC to 92% SOC overnight.

I topped up the car from 73% SOC to 100% SOC overnight before I left. I was surprised no other guest at the hotel used the Blink EVSEs, but I found one spot had an ICE vehicle when I plugged in.

The return trip used Interstate 90 and was slightly more difficult to plan. The first charging stop was EA Sheetz in Mentor, Ohio. The car charged for 40 minutes and went from 19% SOC to 82% SOC.

The next charging stop was EA Walmart in Cheektowaga, NY. The car went from 30% SOC to 82% SOC in 29 minutes. Waze did an interesting routing to our hotel. It used US 20 instead of continuing on I-90. This made sense as the hotel is in Lakeville, NY. US 20 goes east towards the hotel while I-90 keeps edging further north. Both cars were using Waze and our routes diverged near the end. My car arrived at the hotel slightly before the other one with 66% SOC.

The next day we traveled north on I-390 and continued east on I-90 to the next charging stop, EA Waterloo Premium Outlets in Waterloo, NY. This is another location where you go parallel to the highway. It is also in the middle of nowhere. The MME charged for 23 minutes from 51% SOC to 82% SOC. The other ICE vehicle refueled down the road while I charged, and we met up near the on ramp. There were more travel services there and the Love's Travel Stop appears to be a recent addition. It would be a better location for DC fast chargers.

The other vehicle exited into a tandem lot instead of the exit near the final charger of the trip. We just looped around, got back on the highway, and took the right exit to EA Walmart in Albany, NY. It is a big mall/industrial area where I-90 and I-87 cross. The Walmart had two floors and built on a hillside. Of course the chargers were around the back side. The car charged for 44 minutes and went from 25% SOC to 92% SOC.

We continued on I-90 to the Massachusetts Turnpike. The car had 32% SOC when I got home. The total mileage was 1944.2 miles and I spent $190.09 in charging costs. I did not use Blue Cruise, but mostly used Adaptive Cruise to follow behind the other vehicle.

Generally I was happy with the charger experience. I was able to use a 350kW charger a few times. I had one charge that started out slow. I had a charger start and then error out on both plugs at Waterloo, NY. No problem doing a head-in at another charger. Albany was the most trouble as the only one I could head into was down. I was going to back into another spot when another easier one opened up. I pulled in just as another EV plugged in by parking in the space opposite my space. I notice this a couple of times where vehicles with a front charge port will use a space on the other side of the EV charging spaces. I backed into the other space again and got a decent 123kW on a 150kw.

Now that I have some real numbers, I can better plan the next time I go to Xenia, OH. I realized I charged a little too long at the chargers going out. I hope there are better charger locations coming back the next time, although Mentor, OH was good. The two legs starting from 100% seemed to have a good distance and recharge location.

I only used Waze to travel to preplanned stops and logged most of my charges in PlugShare. I hope to also use ABRP with real-time telemetry next time and maybe adjust the plan based on conditions.
Sponsored

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
How did your ICE parner handle all the charging stops? Did they coincide with when he would have stopped anyway, or was he growing impatient, anxious to get back on the road?

Did you add up how much it cost him in fuel to compare to your charging costs?

Why take 2 cars if you parelled each other the entire way?

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
They were interested in how the car charged and worked. They stopped every couple of hours anyway (which I did not include). They were not anxious to get back on the road. Fortunately most of the stops were the type of places they would stop.

They rented a Jeep Compass. Although it can seat four, they were staying in cabins at a state park and the three passengers had enough additional stuff to preclude me riding along. I was staying at a hotel in Miamisburg anyway.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
A fully occupied EA station with three MMEs. Cool but that is more evidence we are at the breaking point when it comes to road trips in a BEV. One more car and there is a wait. Four more cars and there is a long wait.

I can't handle it. These good experience road trips are going to become less and less common, I am afraid. And then I will be back to driving an ICE vehicle for all trips outside the range of my MME.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think it will depend on the uptake of CCS BEVs and how fast new DC Fast Chargers come online. Hopefully EA can get the parts soon to fix all those broken chargers.

There are bound to be choke points. Most of the other chargers had only my car or another vehicle. Newburgh and Albany were likely busy due to being near where two busy interstates cross. Next time I might be able to avoid using them.

emichnov

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Great report, by the way!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Most of the other chargers had only my car or another vehicle.
This has been my experience as well, but there are so many new BEVs being sold and I do not see any new DCFC stations being built. Personally I think if there is a good business case to build chargers, so hopefully the free market will respond. But I think the response will lag the need.

The economics of building a new DCFC station don't make sense until the capacity of existing stations is exceeded. So there will be some pain I think before it gets better. Not looking forward to waiting for a charger to open up. At all. Fearing it, actually.

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
What was your total time spent charging in one direction?

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A fully occupied EA station with three MMEs. Cool but that is more evidence we are at the breaking point when it comes to road trips in a BEV. One more car and there is a wait. Four more cars and there is a long wait.

I can't handle it. These good experience road trips are going to become less and less common, I am afraid. And then I will be back to driving an ICE vehicle for all trips outside the range of my MME.
Agreed on being afraid; although my experience at EA stations has generally been positive (so far) I don't see new stations going in nearly at the rate we need to have them installed in order to stay ahead of demand. For all the fanfare I've seen from EA regarding system expansion, I haven't seen much evidence of that. With all the new EVs hitting the road this year, my fear is that queues will be common by the fall.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The hotel has two Blink Level 2 EVSEs. I decided to charge the second night I was there. I could not activate the charger through the roaming agreement with ChargePoint, so I signed up for a Blink account. The car charged from 16% SOC to 92% SOC overnight.
Great summary - thanks for sharing! Regarding the Blink charging session at the hotel, I'm curious about that experience. Did you pay for that charge? Assuming you did, how much did you pay? My experience with Blink isn't so great; they charge per minute and at 5-7 kW, you end up paying a lot of money for pretty mediocre Level 2 charging. I think I calculated something like $0.60-$0.70 per kWh, which is probably at least three times the local retail rate for electricity.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Blink Charger was per kW and I paid $0.39 per kW being a Blink Member. The non-member rate at the charger was $0.49 per kW.

The charging stops were rest and meal stops, so I ended up charging beyond the amount required on the trip out. It worked out as I could skip charging for the first day at the destination. ABRP indicated charge times of 2 hours and 12 minutes on the route out and 2 hours 23 minutes on the route back. The car charged for 2 hours 50 minutes going out and 2 hours 22 minutes coming back.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This was the first trip where I planned out all the charging stops before the trip, so I could share the list with the ICE vehicle driver. I used ABRP, but with a reference value of 3.5 miles/kW for my ER RWD. I looked at the plan today, plugged in charge values, and adjusted the reference value. I got a better fit using 3.7 or 3.9 depending on the leg.

The trip odometers in the car seem to be stuck on 3.7 miles/kW, so 3.7 might be a better planning value for my future trips. I also like to charge up to 80% at a session.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Great example of why it's worth looking, and evaluating, hotels with free charging. OP took around 67kW and paid $26.08 plus tax. Figure $28.

We just took a trip and planned a hotel with free charging. There were several other parties attending the event, and our host insisted we move to a different hotel for carpooling and socializing. Hotel was in fact about $10 more a night, and had no charging. No carpooling or socializing took place, so we spent $20 more over the 2 nights and lost out on about 82kW of free charging, or around $27 with tax (EA Pass+ rate). So it cost us $47 more. And, on the way home, I elected to not drive out of my way and arrive at the first charger with 3% charge, which meant for the last 20 minutes or so I was driving 55...

Sometimes a hotel with any type of charging, free or fee, is not worth staying at, but leaving with 100% the next day is a nice thing.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

We do a lot of road trips (~14k miles worth now), and so far we haven't run into a full EA station yet. But it's surely coming. We can definitely see the difference from a year ago, with all these new EVs hitting the roads lately. Just 4 chargers (with 1 or 2 often having issues) at most EA stations can fill up fast.

They'll probably come back and add more chargers to many stations later in the decade, but even better would be more stations in between, shortening the gaps. I always plan my routes out at home first so I know where all the chargers are, and where the backups are. I always try to leave enough range in the battery to reach a backup charger just in case. But that's tricky in some cases now on routes with big gaps. It will be a lot better when the next DCFC station averages just 10-20 miles away rather than 60 or 80 or 100. Then when a station is full with others already in line waiting, we can just hit the next one instead.
Sponsored