202 Mile Trip Riverview FL to Jacksonville FL (First Trip in 2022 Standard Range Select)

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As the title says this trip for Memorial Day weekend was my 1st trip in the Select. I bought the vehicle in March of 2022 and I’ve just been driving it to and from work 3 days a week and going to the gym and running errand.

Thursday May 26 was my 1st trip in the car including DC fast charging. I charge at home at the end of each week using a Wallbox 48amp evse.

Before I left to go on the trip I set the tire pressure to the recommended psi and I had charged to car to 100% SOC. I used A Better Router Planner (ABRP) to estimate SOC. I also used Plug Share prior to and the day of the trip to figure out which chargers were or weren’t working at the EvGo station in Jax.

I left my place in Riverview FL around 12:00pm. The total drive was 202 miles with a temp of 93 degrees. The first 115 miles was all highway on interstate 75. The speed limit is 70 but I set the adaptive cruise to 75, set the AC to auto and 72 degrees.

I stopped once at a rest stop before exiting from I-75. When I exited from I-75 to 301 I had a SOC of 53%. I had estimated a SOC of 47% at 3.1 miles per kWh. So I did much better than what I had estimated. ABRP showed winds at 10 mph and that seemed to be corrected at the drive was quite windy on I-75.

HWY 301 is most 65 or 70 miles per hour with the occasional red light. The places where the speed limit was 65 I set the adaptive cruise to 70. In the places where speed limit was 70 I set the cruise to 75.

After driving for 3 hours and 30 mins for a total of 202 miles. I arrived at the EvGo Normandy station on the west side of Jacksonville with 18% SOC. When I pulled in there was guy in a black 2022 Mach-E charging his Mach for his trip to Tampa. We started talking and he lives like 15 mins from me and he bought his car this month from the same dealership I bought mine from.

The stop at EvGo was my 1st DC fast charging experience. I had checked plug like 10 mins before pulling in and no one had reported any problems. I also looked at the EvGo app and all the stalls had been used within the prior 24 hours. So based on that info I wasn’t expecting any issues.

All of the stalls at this location are Signet and the majority of them are 350s. So I pulled into a 350 stall and plug in. The car and charger wouldn’t communicate. So I unplugged twice and still nothing. Mind this happened over the span of 2 minutes as I was also talking to the other Mach-E guy as I was trying to get the charger to work.

So then I moved my car to the next stall which was also a 350. Plugged in and the car wouldn’t talk to the charger. Unplugged after 30 seconds and plugged in again. The car still wouldn’t talk to the charger. Finally, I unplugged again and plugged it back and we had success. I was able to activate the charger via the EVGO app. Once the car connected the activation only took approximately 30 seconds, maybe less.

I charged from 18% to 86% in about 40 mins per the screen on the charger. My peak rate was 111, which is what you get with the standard range battery pack. When the car got to 80% the rate dropped to 35, which is the range I expected based on the charging videos I’ve seen for Selects that have the updated charging curve.

Not made at the charging experience bc I was aware that handshakes issues between the vehicle and charger can occur. No big deal. The car started charging after being at the station for 10 mins. I would have been quicker if I wasn’t talking to MME guy.

All in the 1st leg of the trip more efficient than what I was expecting. I’m a tall guy and the 3 hour ride was so comfortable. The seats were comfortable and I had enough padding under my legs. The AC set to 72 and auto was just right. And I listened to podcasts for the whole duration of the trip, which made the drive easier.

All in all I would say that the efficiency and comfort of the car on a long drive surpassed my expectations.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Why aren't you using your free EA charging hours with Plug and Charge?

OP
OP
AhardFSU

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Why aren't you using your free EA charging hours with Plug and Charge?
I’ll use EA on my way back to Tampa on Monday. The EA station in Jacksonville is like 20 miles from where I’m staying so it wasn’t worth it to drive over to south Jax for EA. EvGo Normandy is literally 5 mins from where I’m staying so I went with convenience.

jheda

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Muustang Mach e SUV Select
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Hi! Im heading to Tampa from fll next weekend, what is your reliable local EA or alternative? TYIA!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Hi! Im heading to Tampa from fll next weekend, what is your reliable local EA or alternative? TYIA!
from Ft. Lauderdale? Tampa actually doesn't have too many EA stations, but from Ft. Lauderdale there's plenty of options I think, download ABRP and Plugshare and look at the map.
Sponsored