Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
Does the GT have a newer infotainment CPU being newer? I’ve heard Kyle from out of spec say the GT felt a lot less laggy than the previous models he drove.

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for the comparison! I think it was very interesting. I love how the Taycan looks. I really wish the Mach-E was more premium, and I miss things like air suspension, seats with tilt, and a better stereo, because honestly its mediocre at best. I'm going to an exclusive BMW IX event with test driving in two weeks time, that will be interesting.
However, even compared to the BMW IX, BMW ix3, Polestar 2, Model Y and other EV's out now, the Mach-E actually has quite a compelling package of features. 99 kWh battery, decent acceleration and good build quality. Even Model X doesn't get much more real life range.
In my opinion, right now, there aren't any compelling obvious "upgrades" from an Mach-E as far as EV specs go, if you want lets say 30 % more range or something, it just doesn't exist yet.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
If the Mach-E was a coupe or sedan, it would look even better than it currently does. The Taycan is the only non-supercar BEV that I personally think looks better than the Mach-E.
this is an interesting comparison if the two. The infotainment system issue is kinda surprising, but then again FordPass is apparently the best app out there too. ?‍♂

I think a lot of the noises and flimsy build quality issues seen across the EV marketplace is driven by weight reduction.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD Ext Range Infinite Blue 3/3/2021
Occupation
TV
Country flag
Hello Mach-e owners!
I recently moved from 2020 Taycan 4S with P+ battery to a 2021 Ford Mach-e GT. Here are my thoughts and comparison of these two cars
The comparison is based on my experience with my cars, and it does not apply to all Taycans and all Mach-es, or all owners.

Taycan wins these categories
  • Range: I could get 260-300 miles on the Taycan (and I was driving on Sport model all the time) depending on the weather easily beating the EPA estimate. I haven't driven the Mach-e a lot it seems I am getting around 250miles, so less than EPA. (Btw both have 20 inch wheels but the Taycan has wider tires).
    • I believe the difference is mostly from highway driving where the Taycan shines with its 2-speed transmission. Also the lower drag coefficient factor and the heat pump help. .
  • DC fast charging: Taycan is a king (when EA stations work). It charges fast even beyond 85%. The Mach-e drops to 12KW after 80%! Ford plans to make it better with an OTA, so let's see.
  • Handling: Probably unfair to compare a sedan with summer tires against an SUV with all-seasons. The Mach-e handles well for a heavy SUV but it is nothing special.
  • Ride quality: Porsche's air suspension is amazing. My Mach-e has a steel suspension which is good but again nothing special. Porsche is noticeably better. If you spec the Mach-e GT with the Perf package you get MagnaRide which is adjustable and closer to Taycan's. If it wasn't for the car shortages I would have gone for that option.
  • Steering feel: Taycan's steering is probably as good as it gets for an electric steering rack. The Mach-e is good but not at Porsche level.
  • Stock Tires: The Taycan's Michelin 4S summer tires were great. My Mach-e has Continental All-Season and they are underwhelmed by the power of the car. There is wheel spin when you push the pedal hard so you cannot put down all that power. The GT Perf package adds summer tires to the Mach-E and I heard that it makes a difference.
  • Instrument Cluster: Taycan's instrument cluster looks great. The Mach-es is very basic, small, non-customizable and it feels like they just had to add something there.
  • Exterior Appearance: In my opinion the Taycan is the most beautiful car on the street. The Mach-e GT in blue with glossy black accents looks very nice but the Taycan is a class of its own.
  • Brand name/exclusivity
  • Service intervals: The Mach-e has a scheduled maintenance (just inspections) at 1 year which is a bummer. Taycan's first scheduled service is at 2years. Cost-wise the total cost for the Ford might be cheaper even with the extra visit, but still I would prefer if I did not have to go.

Mach-e wins these categories:
  • Throttle Response: The Mach-e GT feels more responsive than the Taycan 4S. It feels like a Taycan Turbo. Even on the Whisper mode, if you press the pedal it pulls really hard. The Taycan has a sluggish throttle response and even when you floor it does not have the same immediate response. The GT has a lot more torque according to factory specs so that might be the reason.
  • Practically: The Mach-e has more space, more legroom and headroom, a usable rear bench that can fit 3 people and a more accessible trunk. It is also much easier to get in and out.
  • Easier to drive around town: Mach-e has bigger side mirrors and better all around visibility making it easier to maneuver and park. Mach-e's camera is also very good, while the Taycan's camera image is distorted and shows inaccurate distances.
  • Infotainment system: Mach-e's infotainment feels more responsive, the maps load faster, the phone connects faster and so far I have not seen any of these annoying bugs that the Taycan had. The Mach-e also has wireless Android Auto which is great.
  • Interior Build Quality: This is surprising but true. The Taycan had rattles from everywhere (door panels, speaker covers, driver seat, b-pillar, instrument cluster). It was so annoying. The Mach-e has no rattles so far and it seems to be well built.
  • Charger: Ford Mobile charger is more "mobile" than Porsche's PMCC and it does not overheat. It is a simple charger, no screen, no settings which is good. Less chance of problems. Btw the pigtail is AWG 8 which is more appropriate than Porsche's AWG 10 which overheats. Unfortunately the Ford charger cable is only 20ft long, not the standard 25ft.
  • Other: The Mach-e has physical Homelink buttons which is great and you can actually program more than one door!! Yay
  • Value: At about half of the 4S price you get a bigger battery, same or a little more power and a well built car.

Cannot compare yet:
  • Overall software quality: Taycan has several software issues (12v drainage, automotive power loss while driving, many small annoyances) and Porsche does not address them as fast as I expected. Many bugs are still there. Although I have not experienced any bugs on the Mach-e I should wait a few months until I declare it a winner.
  • OTA updates: I have only seen maps and weather/calendar app OTA updates in the Taycan which are close to useless to me. Every major software update required a visit to the dealer. I have heard that some Mach-e owners received OTAs and there is a rumor that Ford is planning to release an OTA that will increase the usable battery by 3KW (~10 miles range extra) and improve the DC charging speed after 80% but until I see it I don't believe it.
  • Phone as a key: Mach-e supports phone as a key. I read mixed reviews about it and I haven't tried it yet. But if they make it robust then this will be a win.

20211012_082106.jpg

20201219_125852.jpg
Great post--- thanks. I have a friend who took delivery on a Taycan 4S in August and I think he'd agree with you on all the points. I do love the Taycan's instrumentation and its sleek look. On the other hand, he has the same rattle issues you mentioned and has had it back to the Porsche dealer twice already. He loves my Mach-E's ride. He also thinks the braking is smoother in mine.

I offered him a straight-up swap but oddly enough he turned me down ... ;)

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I was filling up my gas can to mow the lawn at the local petrol station (haven't found a BEV lawnmower yet that will accomplish the task)
I'm going off topic, but the solution I found here was to buy a second battery and swap them out in the middle of the mow. ;)

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I'm going off topic, but the solution I found here was to buy a second battery and swap them out in the middle of the mow. ;)
My lawn's not that big...I bought the biggest battery for it and it does my entire lawn just fine. Plus the battery swaps to the lawn trimmer for the final look. BTW, look into an electric chainsaw...my 18" has so much electric torque that it plows through cuts that would stop an ice chainsaw dead. Plus I have two electric tree trimmers. ICE really loses in almost every category...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If the Mach-E was a coupe or sedan, it would look even better than it currently does. The Taycan is the only non-supercar BEV that I personally think looks better than the Mach-E.
this is an interesting comparison if the two. The infotainment system issue is kinda surprising, but then again FordPass is apparently the best app out there too. ?‍♂

I think a lot of the noises and flimsy build quality issues seen across the EV marketplace is driven by weight reduction.
I think if they make the Mach E into a coupe it will sell well. Maybe they should make an ICE version as well to gain mass appeal.

Someone call Ford! I have a great idea!

They can paint it white and call it the:

Vanilla ICE Mach E coupe GT.

I even have a working prototype:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-E GT comparison by owner ADA06286-9B91-424F-97C1-2B826C7B754A

timunger0222

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium RWD
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Nice write up and comparison. Your unique perspective put my mind at ease because I often wondered if I would be better suited to the Porsche coming from a BMW background. The Mach-e has its problems, but it sounds like all the electric are experiencing some sort of OTA update issues and software issues. Most of my particular issues have been taken care of by a overnight visit to my dealership. Thanks again.

OP
OP
chrisGT

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Quick update after driving the GT even more.

The GT clearly wins in terms of daily practically and its infotainment technology seems better so far. I saw one or two little bugs but the Taycan had more and more serious ones.

However in terms of range and driving comfort the Taycan is the absolute winner. I could easily get 30-50 more miles of Highway driving than the GT and the Taycan's air suspension was great while the GT is too firm on little imperfections and too bouncy on bigger ones. The GT suspension feels wrong overall, even if I compare it with a Macan (also with air suspension) I used to have before the Taycan.

Last edited:

Lookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
..... and the Taycan's air suspension was great while the GT is too firm on little imperfections and too bouncy on bigger ones. The GT suspension feels wrong overall, even if I compare it with a Macan (also with air suspension) I used to have before the Taycan.
Why did you go with the GT? Availability? Sounds like the suspension issues would be mostly gone with the GTPE Magnaride?

OP
OP
chrisGT

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Why did you go with the GT? Availability? Sounds like the suspension issues would be mostly gone with the GTPE Magnaride?
I definitely wanted GTPE but there was none available nearby and I did not want to wait 7 months for a new one because I had a good offer for my Taycan so I needed another car right away. I could only find a couple of GTs in stock.

But I certainly entertain the idea of ordering a GTPE if I can confirm (ideally test drive) its suspension is much better.

or just wait for the Macan EV :)

Lookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
I definitely wanted GTPE but there was none available nearby and I did not want to wait 7 months for a new one because I had a good offer for my Taycan so I needed another car right away. I could only find a couple of GTs in stock.

But I certainly entertain the idea of ordering a GTPE if I can confirm (ideally test drive) its suspension is much better.

Got you. Waiting 7 months is indeed a no go for me too. Best hope right now would be a GTPE order not being taken. But those without dealer markups seem to be unicorns right now.

Ohh the Macan EV sounds sweet !! when is it releasing in the US?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag

I'm in Camino ("Apple Hill"), if you want a test drive...
Sponsored