First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Hello Mach-e owners!
I recently moved from 2020 Taycan 4S with P+ battery to a 2021 Ford Mach-e GT. Here are my thoughts and comparison of these two cars
The comparison is based on my experience with my cars, and it does not apply to all Taycans and all Mach-es, or all owners.

Taycan wins these categories
  • Range: I could get 260-300 miles on the Taycan (and I was driving on Sport model all the time) depending on the weather easily beating the EPA estimate. I haven't driven the Mach-e a lot it seems I am getting around 250miles, so less than EPA. (Btw both have 20 inch wheels but the Taycan has wider tires).
    • I believe the difference is mostly from highway driving where the Taycan shines with its 2-speed transmission. Also the lower drag coefficient factor and the heat pump help. .
  • DC fast charging: Taycan is a king (when EA stations work). It charges fast even beyond 85%. The Mach-e drops to 12KW after 80%! Ford plans to make it better with an OTA, so let's see.
  • Handling: Probably unfair to compare a sedan with summer tires against an SUV with all-seasons. The Mach-e handles well for a heavy SUV but it is nothing special.
  • Ride quality: Porsche's air suspension is amazing. My Mach-e has a steel suspension which is good but again nothing special. Porsche is noticeably better. If you spec the Mach-e GT with the Perf package you get MagnaRide which is adjustable and closer to Taycan's. If it wasn't for the car shortages I would have gone for that option.
  • Steering feel: Taycan's steering is probably as good as it gets for an electric steering rack. The Mach-e is good but not at Porsche level.
  • Stock Tires: The Taycan's Michelin 4S summer tires were great. My Mach-e has Continental All-Season and they are underwhelmed by the power of the car. There is wheel spin when you push the pedal hard so you cannot put down all that power. The GT Perf package adds summer tires to the Mach-E and I heard that it makes a difference.
  • Instrument Cluster: Taycan's instrument cluster looks great. The Mach-es is very basic, small, non-customizable and it feels like they just had to add something there.
  • Exterior Appearance: In my opinion the Taycan is the most beautiful car on the street. The Mach-e GT in blue with glossy black accents looks very nice but the Taycan is a class of its own.
  • Brand name/exclusivity
  • Service intervals: The Mach-e has a scheduled maintenance (just inspections) at 1 year which is a bummer. Taycan's first scheduled service is at 2years. Cost-wise the total cost for the Ford might be cheaper even with the extra visit, but still I would prefer if I did not have to go.

Mach-e wins these categories:
  • Throttle Response: The Mach-e GT feels more responsive than the Taycan 4S. It feels like a Taycan Turbo. Even on the Whisper mode, if you press the pedal it pulls really hard. The Taycan has a sluggish throttle response and even when you floor it does not have the same immediate response. The GT has a lot more torque according to factory specs so that might be the reason.
  • Practically: The Mach-e has more space, more legroom and headroom, a usable rear bench that can fit 3 people and a more accessible trunk. It is also much easier to get in and out.
  • Easier to drive around town: Mach-e has bigger side mirrors and better all around visibility making it easier to maneuver and park. Mach-e's camera is also very good, while the Taycan's camera image is distorted and shows inaccurate distances.
  • Infotainment system: Mach-e's infotainment feels more responsive, the maps load faster, the phone connects faster and so far I have not seen any of these annoying bugs that the Taycan had. The Mach-e also has wireless Android Auto which is great.
  • Interior Build Quality: This is surprising but true. The Taycan had rattles from everywhere (door panels, speaker covers, driver seat, b-pillar, instrument cluster). It was so annoying. The Mach-e has no rattles so far and it seems to be well built.
  • Charger: Ford Mobile charger is more "mobile" than Porsche's PMCC and it does not overheat. It is a simple charger, no screen, no settings which is good. Less chance of problems. Btw the pigtail is AWG 8 which is more appropriate than Porsche's AWG 10 which overheats. Unfortunately the Ford charger cable is only 20ft long, not the standard 25ft.
  • Other: The Mach-e has physical Homelink buttons which is great and you can actually program more than one door!! Yay
  • Value: At about half of the 4S price you get a bigger battery, same or a little more power and a well built car.

Cannot compare yet:
  • Overall software quality: Taycan has several software issues (12v drainage, automotive power loss while driving, many small annoyances) and Porsche does not address them as fast as I expected. Many bugs are still there. Although I have not experienced any bugs on the Mach-e I should wait a few months until I declare it a winner.
  • OTA updates: I have only seen maps and weather/calendar app OTA updates in the Taycan which are close to useless to me. Every major software update required a visit to the dealer. I have heard that some Mach-e owners received OTAs and there is a rumor that Ford is planning to release an OTA that will increase the usable battery by 3KW (~10 miles range extra) and improve the DC charging speed after 80% but until I see it I don't believe it.
  • Phone as a key: Mach-e supports phone as a key. I read mixed reviews about it and I haven't tried it yet. But if they make it robust then this will be a win.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-E GT comparison by owner 20211012_082106

20201219_125852.jpg

Last edited:

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
Appreciate your insight. Hard to compare since they are such a different class of vehicle. I currently drive a FE (love the Grabber Blue). I love it so much, I have a GTPE on order (Cyber Orange). But I did briefly explore the Taycan and I agree it is a beautiful car. But the price was just too much to even consider. Interesting to hear about the build quality.

I have been super happy with my Mach-E but I have never had an EV so everything about it seems super cool to me! Hope you enjoy.

tmblue

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Audi Q5, 1986 IROCZ, Mach-E
Country flag
Seems like a silly comparison, but I appreciate the time you spent. I guess you didn't say why you switched. Did you have that short of a lease or did you sell yours out right (higher market value due to the shortages or)? Did you just need an SUV?

OP
OP
chrisGT

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Seems like a silly comparison, but I appreciate the time you spent. I guess you didn't say why you switched. Did you have that short of a lease or did you sell yours out right (higher market value due to the shortages or)? Did you just need an SUV?
It is silly to compare an SUV against a sport sedan but I did because they are both the first EVs of these two brands, so the EV aspect, tech and software comparisson is relevant.

A combination of finding a good deal for the Taycan, need for the extra practicality and also getting annoyed by the software issues and the rattles.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Wow, this is not the comparison I would have expected but I'm glad the GT does so well from your perspective.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
A combination of finding a good deal for the Taycan, need for the extra practicality and also getting annoyed by the software issues and the rattles.
Interesting, did you ever consider the Taycan Cross Turismo for the space? Or were the rattles and software issues significant enough that you just didn't want another Taycan, even if shaped like a wagon?

Your insight is surprising because fit and finish usually seem to be considered a high point of Porsche.

I agree that the Taycan looks great, but unfortunately a little bit of its thunder is stolen by its strong resemblance to the Panamera. I'm a big fan of the squarish, curved front headlights in particular on the Taycan.

OP
OP
chrisGT

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Interesting, did you ever consider the Taycan Cross Turismo for the space? Or were the rattles and software issues significant enough that you just didn't want another Taycan, even if shaped like a wagon?

Your insight is surprising because fit and finish usually seem to be considered a high point of Porsche.
The cross Turismo is a little more practical but still getting in/out in the driver seat is the same, and rear legroom is tight. Also there is a backorder of probably 1+ year and it is expensive :), plus I am not sure how much progress they have made to iron-out the annoyances I experienced.

The interior fit and finish issues were surprising to me as well. I had driven dozens of Macans and Cayeenes (loaners, company or friend cars etc) and they were all top notch. But my Taycan was a let down on this area, and there are several members on the taycan forum that complain about rattles.

AlbanyIan

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It is silly to compare an SUV against a sport sedan but I did because they are both the first EVs of these two brands, so the EV aspect, tech and software comparisson is relevant.

To back your point up, I was filling up my gas can to mow the lawn at the local petrol station (haven't found a BEV lawnmower yet that will accomplish the task) and a woman in a ICE BMW said she had looked at both the Mach-E and the Taycan. People are feeling things out in the EV marketplace and I think the versatility of electric could cause shoppers to rethink their priorities.

Thanks for the insights!

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag

I didn't find it silly, but informative. Electric vs electric...why not?

Thanks for your views.?

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
  • Infotainment system: Mach-e's infotainment feels more responsive, the maps load faster, the phone connects faster and so far I have not seen any of these annoying bugs that the Taycan had. The Mach-e also has wireless Android Auto which is great.
lol, I can't imagine how shitty the Porsche is then because I find the Ford interface VERY slow to start and quite clunky.

OP
OP
chrisGT

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
lol, I can't imagine how shitty the Porsche is then because I find the Ford interface VERY slow to start and quite clunky.
Sometimes it would take take ~30 secs for the maps to load, phone to connect, etc on my Taycan. I could drive a block before it was fully ready. It had also crashed and rebooted while driving a few times.

So far the Sync works well for me but I will update the review if it degrades.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
My friend has the same Taycan model and he gets roughly the same range. I drove it and I remember the couple of times when I punched the throttle, I was a bit taken aback by the delayed response. I had a dual motor model 3 at the time and I thought to myself the 3 felt quicker. My guess was the Taycan had to downshift. Having a second gear in an EV has pros and cons. The con is definitely the delay when it downshifts that is a bit jarring from an EV. Pros are better efficiency and maybe stronger and longer pull and high speeds.

BTW congrats on the GT!

Jim Guthry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I've wanted to hear this comparison, I was cross shopping as well. Even though these aren't considered in the same class, the BEV market is in its infancy so choices are slim.

I'm going with Ford Options on the GTPE to consider how the Macan EV turns out in a few years. I prefer all the extras you get from a luxury car but just couldn't sacrifice the trunk that my dog needs for our trips.

Have you been following the Macan updates as well?
Sponsored