2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Reports 355-Mile Range In Alleged Real-World Driving Test

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
I looked at other discussions regarding this, where people from Norway commented, and it seems the driver was going about 43mph and thus that’s how the results were achieved. Similar to the Hyundai Kona test linked below where they got 600 miles driving at 20mph (versus normal range of 240 miles). Curious about real world range tests - seems the ID3 is coming below estimates so shows how it is a real challenge to squeeze performance and how you drive it is a big factor. The large battery ID3 is restricted to 4 passengers due to performance limitations.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ric-goes-more-than-600-miles-if-you-go-20-mph

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
IMO, a 43mph average on a curvey hilly hwy is not similar to 20mph on a flat track under controlled conditions.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
IMO, a 43mph average on a curvey hilly hwy is not similar to 20mph on a flat track under controlled conditions.
Estimates I’ve seen were a 48 mph average speed. Where do you get 43?

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Estimates I’ve seen were a 48 mph average speed. Where do you get 43?
WAY back in about 1970, I drove that leg from Oslo to Trondheim and back in a rental VW Beetle.

I am sure major improvements have been made to that road since then, but I do remember in some sections even 45 mph was at the sane limit and I was still in my 20’s then --- fearless and bullet proof.

A 48 mph average is pretty good on that leg with the sharp curves and grades and going thru towns.

Would be a fun drive in a E-Pony.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
We need Tesla Bjorn to help. He could give some insights with his 1000 mile challenges and weekly EV reviews in that part of the world.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True. And they're BOTH very poor comparisons to a typical interstate-speed drive in the US.

While it was still an interesting anecdotal test, I still want to see a 65 or 75 MPH run. That's what will really matter for most road trips. That 355 will likely be waaay lower. The question is just how much lower? 280? 250? 220?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We need Tesla Bjorn to help. He could give some insights with his 1000 mile challenges and weekly EV reviews in that part of the world.
Be curious to see what he and others report. Of course, he likely won't be getting his hands on one any sooner than some of us that have FEs on order. Chances are we'll see some reports from posters here before he gets one to drive.

I mainly want to see sample miles/kWh readings at various high speeds and conditions. From there's it's easy to calculate real-world range.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Everything you guys say is true, but the EPA test for "highway" driving averages 48mph - but of ciurse there is the 70% multiplier.

so... who knows?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Everything you guys say is true, but the EPA test for "highway" driving averages 48mph - but of ciurse there is the 70% multiplier.

so... who knows?
I may be misunderstanding the 70% adjustment factor, but isn't it to account for the difference between a still dyno test in the lab vs the real world drag on the road from air, weather, load, etc?

In which case that's already happening on this Norway drive (albeit at slow speed).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I may be misunderstanding the 70% adjustment factor, but isn't it to account for the difference between a still dyno test in the lab vs the real world drag on the road from air, weather, load, etc?

In which case that's already happening on this Norway drive (albeit at slow speed).
yes the 70% fudge factor is for the environmental factors. That's why this is somewhat encouraging, but since we don't know the actual speed, tempurature, etc we have to be cautiously optimistic. If indeed it was 48mph then at least the "best case" is well above the 3.4 mi/kwh that ford is targeting. Despite what @RonTCat and @hybrid2bev I am really hoping that the EPA number/realworld is at least 3.6 mi/kwh.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yes the 70% fudge factor is for the environmental factors. That's why this is somewhat encouraging, but since we don't know the actual speed, tempurature, etc we have to be cautiously optimistic. If indeed it was 48mph then at least the "best case" is well above the 3.4 mi/kwh that ford is targeting. Despite what @RonTCat and @hybrid2bev I am really hoping that the EPA number/realworld is at least 3.6 mi/kwh.
When I found out that EPA tests are done on a dynometer, I was (and still am) puzzled. Seems like all that could measure is the fuel it takes to turn the wheels with the weght of the vehicle pushing down. With zero regard for aerodynamics. Doesn't that just treat a Ferrari and a Hummer the same?? Even though there's clearly a dramatic difference in aerodynamics?

The more I find out about EPA ratings, the more worthless they appear. I'm beginning to think our anxiousness to get the EPA range for the Mach-e is misplaced.

EDITED: I just remembered that (IIRC) vehicle manufactures also have to report results of an aerodynamic test too, that's used to set the resistance on the dyno rollers to mimic wind resistance.

Still though, seems ripe for inaccuracies.
Sponsored