Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
I searched the forum, but could not find this subject. I precondition in the morning before I leave for work (plugged in) and when I leave work (unplugged). Yesterday when I left work I noticed I had approximately 50% grey bars. It was around 25 degrees F. SOC 84%. It did not change during my 20 minute drive to home. Both are unusual. I plugged in when I got home. This morning the bars were still there after preconditioning. I have a heated garage and it was 54 degrees F. SOC 89%. The HVBJB recall software has been done some time ago. I have never had a SVS or any other error messages. Could this be an indicator of a HVBJB issue? Thanks.

VIN 3FMTK4SE2MME00387. I will get on FDRS tomorrow and look for DTC. I have yet to do that?

EDIT: Dealer checked and no DTC.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 GT - Power meter stuck at approximately 50% grey bars 1675426901524

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 GT - Power meter stuck at approximately 50% grey bars 1675426930026

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 GT - Power meter stuck at approximately 50% grey bars 1675426901813

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I searched the forum, but could not find this subject. I precondition in the morning before I leave for work (plugged in) and when I leave work (unplugged). Yesterday when I left work I noticed I had approximately 50% grey bars. It was around 25 degrees F. SOC 84%. It did not change during my 20 minute drive to home. Both are unusual. I plugged in when I got home. This morning the bars were still there after preconditioning. I have a heated garage and it was 54 degrees F. SOC 89%. The HVBJB recall software has been done some time ago. I have never had a SVS or any other error messages. Could this be an indicator of a HVBJB issue? Thanks.

VIN 3FMTK4SE2MME00387. I will get on FDRS tomorrow and look for DTC. I have yet to do that?

EDIT: Dealer checked and no DTC.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 GT - Power meter stuck at approximately 50% grey bars 1675426901813

Clarification question: When you say 'precondition' do you mean doing a remote start (which does not heat the battery) OR are you setting a Departure Time (which does heat the battery while plugged in)?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Pull the 12v negative for a few minutes. I bet it goes back to normal then. I've had this happen before but it goes away on its own usually if I let the car sit for a few hours.

OP
OP
Cjpayne

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Clarification question: When you say 'precondition' do you mean doing a remote start (which does not heat the battery) OR are you setting a Departure Time (which does heat the battery while plugged in)?
Using departure set up in the car.

OP
OP
Cjpayne

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Pull the 12v negative for a few minutes. I bet it goes back to normal then. I've had this happen before but it goes away on its own usually if I let the car sit for a few hours.
How long should I leave it disconnected? I drove it at lunch and the grey bars are still there.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
This may seem unrelated but I've had a similar issue. I eventually restarted my Sync4 and everything went back to normal. I believe it is press volume down + seek arrow right for a few seconds and your screen will go black and reboot. I was grasping at straws and that, for some reason, worked.

OP
OP
Cjpayne

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This may seem unrelated but I've had a similar issue. I eventually restarted my Sync4 and everything went back to normal. I believe it is press volume down + seek arrow right for a few seconds and your screen will go black and reboot. I was grasping at straws and that, for some reason, worked.
Thanks! I will try that.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I've seen this on mine, the meter is very unhappy now when temps are below freezing, it'll be like this on the way to work and back to normal for the commute home. That said, it doesn't seem to really feel that different when driving.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
How long should I leave it disconnected? I drove it at lunch and the grey bars are still there.
Typically, 5-10 minutes. 😊🐩

OP
OP
Cjpayne

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've seen this on mine, the meter is very unhappy now when temps are below freezing, it'll be like this on the way to work and back to normal for the commute home. That said, it doesn't seem to really feel that different when driving.
Well, I would not expect to see it after 12 hours in a 54 degree F garage, plugged in and with a departure time. The car is definitely power restricted. I have seen this many bars before as well, but not under those conditions and the bars vary in number. It seems to be "stuck" at the same amount of bars. Can anyone tell me how many bars appear when they get the SVS under the software recall for the HVBJB failure?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Well, I would not expect to see it after 12 hours in a 54 degree F garage, plugged in and with a departure time. The car is definitely power restricted. I have seen this many bars before as well, but not under those conditions and the bars vary in number. It seems to be "stuck" at the same amount of bars. Can anyone tell me how many bars appear when they get the SVS under the software recall for the HVBJB failure?
I think @scoopman said 40% or more was taken up by jail bars. 😱🐩

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think @scoopman said 40% or more was taken up by jail bars. 😱🐩
@Cjpayne I'd get an OBD-II reader or ask your dealer to pull codes if you think you have a HVBJB problem. You really can't miss it, the thing gives you a wrench, warning, yells at you in the Ford Pass app, etc.

Outside of a HVBJB problem, the cold can fool it into jailbarr-ing you for a little bit as others have said. This has happened to me very infrequently.

Here's how my jailbars looked right after getting The World's First Service Vehicle Soon (note the wrench):

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 GT - Power meter stuck at approximately 50% grey bars IMG_0485.JPG

OP
OP
Cjpayne

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I removed the LVB negative cable for 10 minutes and the bars are still there. The puzzling thing is they do not change in number. I have not seen that before. I am used to seeing bars occasionally with the low SOC, cold weather or after WOT. This is different. The bars stay at the same number and the power is inhibited. This is over a two day period. In a heated garage, outside at work and after executed departure times. They look similar to Scoopmans pic, but no other alarms at all. Is it possible a module has gone bad?

I asked the dealer to check for DTC and they saw none related to power restriction. Only a couple of camera faults from the wet snow and slush. I will hook up the laptop, mongoose and power supply in the morning and poke around. I have not checked for DTC. Can that only be done by a dealer? I can not imagine they are related, but I got the 4.1.3 OTA right before I first had the issue.

I am stumped, but I am very confident that this is not cold weather related.
Sponsored