SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I'm disappointed that Ford held *themselves* back from Top Safety Pick Plus by continuing to impose artificial marketing reasons for keeping the safer headlights only for those that pay more for the cars. There's really no excuse for the Select and Route 1s to not have the good headlights of the Premium. Ford could even have saved the engineer's time by not making them develop two different headlights, not paid the suppliers to tool two different headlights, and not had to have the guys on the line worry about which headlight to pick... AND they could have got Top Safety Pick Plus... but no, marketing wins the day. Gotta give 'em a reason to upgrade to the Premium, their own safety.

This is a pet peeve of mine - headlights are like brakes - good ones need to be standard.
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
How would you like to be the intern that has to sweep that place up afterwards?
Better than the intern that has to clean all the grease paint off the dummies.
With a floor that clean, I bet they have one of those zamboni like sweepers that someone gets to drive around. That would be kinda fun.

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Amazing how safe the Mach E is .. ?
but my god crazy to see beautiful Mach E’s getting killed ? ?
I wonder if you get buy some of the parts ..

nfoxtrot

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.foskettefotography.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Satellite Engineer
Country flag
The entire headlight assembly flying out of the car is slightly concerning, how many points are being secured to the body of the car?
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick! 951CA36B-9B61-49D6-BBA1-EED9AC6A7D2D

duneii

First Name
Siri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in '18, Mach E LR AWD-order
Country flag
Based on the article with 40% reduction, I am hoping insurance companies lower insurance rates vs. gas cars. Also, the article implies that the heavier MME might be safer than the lighter Model Y, but alas, Tesla hasn't supported the IIHS in getting the model Y tested.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/with-more-electric-vehicles-comes-more-proof-of-safety

The updated data show that rates of injury claims related to the drivers and passengers of electric vehicles were more than 40 percent lower than for identical conventional models over 2011-19. This result is similar to an earlier HLDI study of hybrid vehicles, and one likely explanation is that the large batteries used in both types of vehicles make them substantially heavier than their conventional counterparts. Occupants of heavier vehicles are exposed to lower forces in multivehicle crashes.

The XC40 Recharge has a curb weight of 4,787 pounds, compared with 3,811 pounds for the conventional model. There is no conventional version of the Mach-E, but its curb weight of 4,516 pounds is also higher than many conventional midsize SUVs.

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I wonder if the better headlights are easy to swap in if you buy them from the parts department? Or if there will be good aftermarket options?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Tried to compare with Model Y and boom - Model Y and Model X are not yet IIHS tested! Looks like Tesla SUVs have some shady safety issues.
Some explanation why the Model Y has no data:
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/top...r-not-scheduled-safety-testing-iihs-heres-why

" IIHS offers up spots for testing to any automaker who wants to nominate a new or updated vehicle for inclusion on its schedule. As with the prior Tesla vehicles, Tesla opted not to nominate the Model Y (according to our contact at IIHS). Had Tesla opted to do so, the Model Y would likely have already been tested, or it would be on the schedule. "

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if the better headlights are easy to swap in if you buy them from the parts department? Or if there will be good aftermarket options?
Each headlight assembly is over $1600, making a swap out over $3,200 in parts alone.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Everyone seems pretty positive about these results. Is there a comparison against similar vehicles? How well did Mustang Mach E do against peers? Is someone else, like VW or Volvo, going to be able to say they are “safer” than the Mustang Mach E (and subtly imply it’s a “death trap” or some such nonsense)?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Some explanation why the Model Y has no data:
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/top...r-not-scheduled-safety-testing-iihs-heres-why

" IIHS offers up spots for testing to any automaker who wants to nominate a new or updated vehicle for inclusion on its schedule. As with the prior Tesla vehicles, Tesla opted not to nominate the Model Y (according to our contact at IIHS). Had Tesla opted to do so, the Model Y would likely have already been tested, or it would be on the schedule. "
I thought these tests are government mandated?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Headlights are super important.

I wish IIHS would push the federal government to allow matrix headlights.

We literally are not allowed to have safer lights. ?
just to put some context here - Consumer Reports' car podcast talked about this a few months back. The very specific requirement is that the driver has to be able to select between distinct, specific, low or high beam settings, and matrix headlights don't allow that.

I'm not in any way arguing that's better or anything - just explaining the underlying issue since I rarely see anyone say why matrix headlights are an issue right now in the US, just that it is.

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Better than the intern that has to clean all the grease paint off the dummies.
With a floor that clean, I bet they have one of those zamboni like sweepers that someone gets to drive around. That would be kinda fun.
They do actually. I saw a Lego recreation of their testing process on their YouTube channel and the clean up had a Zamboni.
Here
Everyone seems pretty positive about these results. Is there a comparison against similar vehicles? How well did Mustang Mach E do against peers? Is someone else, like VW or Volvo, going to be able to say they are “safer” than the Mustang Mach E (and subtly imply it’s a “death trap” or some such nonsense)?
XC40 Recharge is basically equally as good.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I did too. But the mandated tests are NHTSA (government) tests and these are IIHS (insurance companies). I had to look it up to find the difference. There is some overlap in the type of testing they do, but there are some differences.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owner...en-iihs-and-nhtsa-crash-test-programs-132515/
this is a good write-up of the differences. it shows how generally speaking the IIHS tests are more rigorous but does a good job of being fair to both.
Sponsored