Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Everyone seems pretty positive about these results. Is there a comparison against similar vehicles? How well did Mustang Mach E do against peers? Is someone else, like VW or Volvo, going to be able to say they are ā€œsaferā€ than the Mustang Mach E (and subtly imply itā€™s a ā€œdeath trapā€ or some such nonsense)?
as a general statement, any "skateboard" EV design that is well-built is going to do well. Having so much weight in the skateboard without dealing with a traditional engine, etc. gives a lot of flexibility in designing the safety cage.

of course I'm saying that without being able to find evidence now so it could be my memory is just wrong.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
just to put some context here - Consumer Reports' car podcast talked about this a few months back. The very specific requirement is that the driver has to be able to select between distinct, specific, low or high beam settings, and matrix headlights don't allow that.

I'm not in any way arguing that's better or anything - just explaining the underlying issue since I rarely see anyone say why matrix headlights are an issue right now in the US, just that it is.
Well, THAT seems like an easy fix ? allow the driver to ā€œoverrideā€ matrix mode with a conventional stalk-selected high beam/low beam selection that forces the matrix into fixed patterns. Problem solved. Sigh. Does the PM have to solve everything? ???

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Cool! Thanks! Do we have the government test results yet? Tesla would have had to do those?
Not yet. NHTSA buys the cars anonymously from dealers so maybe they had problems getting Mach-E's to test.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Well, THAT seems like an easy fix ? allow the driver to ā€œoverrideā€ matrix mode with a conventional stalk-selected high beam/low beam selection that forces the matrix into fixed patterns. Problem solved. Sigh. Does the PM have to solve everything? ???
I admit I had that exact same thought, but I don't know enough about it to understand why that isn't the right answer :)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I thought it was interesting that the IIHS said that the Selectā€™s reflector LED lights do not provide adequate illumination on curves while not saying the same thing for the Premiumā€™s projector LEDs, implying that illumination on curves is good. I havenā€™t been in a Select to comment if I agree with this or not for that trim. But for the Premium, I absolutely do feel illumination on curves is great.

There has been some discussion on here that people felt it was unfortunate that the Mach-E didnā€™t offer adaptive headlights (meaning the headlight itself turns slightly along with the steering wheel). But my experience has been that the Premiumā€™s led projectors seem to illuminate close or at 180 degrees in front of the car. The headlight might not turn, but it doesnā€™t need to because way off to your right or left is already illuminated even when the Mach-E is pointed dead straight ahead because of how wide an illumination net the projectors are casting.

Iā€™ll also say Iā€™m not sure if the IIHSā€™s comments for the Selectā€™s headlights are fair. Again, not having been in it, I have no personal experience. But the Premiumā€™s lights are so good that something not quite up to the Premiumā€™s quality isnā€™t necessarily ā€˜marginalā€™ in my book.

Talk about ā€˜poorā€™ headlights, thatā€™s my 2006 Mustang GT with its underpowered halogen reflectors. I have to drive with the fog lights on just to give average illumination (and I still sometimes get high beams flashed at me by people driving SUVs with daylight aftermarket LEDs installed totally blinding me because they see four lights on and think I have high beams on). Anyway, with the foglights on, my Mustangā€™s lights feels perfectly adequate to me. I bet the Mach-E Selectā€™s reflectors are leaps and bounds better than my old Mustangā€™s - IIHS calling them ā€˜marginalā€™ might be going a bit far even if they arenā€™t the best type of headlight currently on the market.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I thought it was interesting that the IIHS said that the Selectā€™s reflector LED lights do not provide adequate illumination on curves while not saying the same thing for the Premiumā€™s projector LEDs, implying that illumination on curves is good. I havenā€™t been in a Select to comment if I agree with this or not for that trim. But for the Premium, I absolutely do feel illumination on curves is great.
It does say the projectors are good on right and fair on left (below), for the reflectors it says "inadequate on the gradual left curve."

"Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the left side of the road and fair on the right side. On curves, visibility was good on both right curves and fair on both left curves.

The low beams never exceeded glare limits."

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/mustang-mach-e-4-door-suv/2021#headlights

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Iā€™m disappointed that the Select has lower grade lights than the Premium. I think I read every stat sheet at Ford and on the web at the time I ordered and never did I see that listed as a difference. I might have more strongly considered the Premium had I known that.