eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Several mustangs take over 10 seconds to get 0-60....
A little google came up with: https://themustangsource.com/how-tos/slideshows/6-slowest-mustangs-over-the-years-446045
Some look ok, but I would argue at least that 1979 one looks less like a mustang than the 4 door mach e...
So your response to the point that a BEV with the soul of a Mustang shouldn't have the acceleration of a Chevy Bolt, Mercedes Class B, Nissan Leaf and be much slower than comparable Audi or Jaguar offerings is: but it's faster than Mustangs of the 60s and 70s?
;)
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Anyone think that maybe Ford is playing with the hp figures just a bit?
Are they really going to install different motors for Extended Range models? I doubt it based on the torque ratings being exactly the same no matter which battery it has. 0-60 target times are the same as well.

If I had to guess.....
The motors are the same and the current flow might be increased to compensate for the increased weight of the Extended Range battery just to keep the 0-60 times the same. A larger battery can discharge energy quicker than a smaller battery so perhaps the real difference is heavier gauge conductors and that allows the motors to consume more energy.

Does anyone know for sure if the motors are the same for each battery choice?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Anyone think that maybe Ford is playing with the hp figures just a bit?
Are they really going to install different motors for Extended Range models? I doubt it based on the torque ratings being exactly the same no matter which battery it has. 0-60 target times are the same as well.

If I had to guess.....
The motors are the same and the current flow might be increased to compensate for the increased weight of the Extended Range battery just to keep the 0-60 times the same. A larger battery can discharge energy quicker than a smaller battery so perhaps the real difference is heavier gauge conductors and that allows the motors to consume more energy.

Does anyone know for sure if the motors are the same for each battery choice?
There were only 2 motors displayed when the vehicle was revealed.

"Ford offers two motor variants, a 210 kW (282 horsepower) one with a max torque output of around 300 lb-ft, and a smaller 50 kW (67 horsepower) one making 111 lb-ft of twist. The rear-wheel drive Mach-E gets the larger motor only, the all-wheel-drive model adds on the little 67 horsepower unit up front, and the GT has a large motor at both the front and rear axles."

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/geek-out-on-the-engineering-behind-the-mach-e.148/

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
For my calculation I am assuming Ford will price the GT Performance Edition slightly below the MY Performance (after the tax credit). On the plus-side Tesla dropped the prices on all models recently except for the Y, so I think it's reasonable to expect a price drop in the next year. With that assumption, maybe an extra $5k max for the GT PE?
Correct me if I'm wrong here (and link please) but ford has not announced the pricing for the GT performance edition correct? I've only seen the base MSRP without any added packages for the standard GT (which is 4 second 0-60 and 250 mile range)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
There were only 2 motors displayed when the vehicle was revealed.

"Ford offers two motor variants, a 210 kW (282 horsepower) one with a max torque output of around 300 lb-ft, and a smaller 50 kW (67 horsepower) one making 111 lb-ft of twist. The rear-wheel drive Mach-E gets the larger motor only, the all-wheel-drive model adds on the little 67 horsepower unit up front, and the GT has a large motor at both the front and rear axles."

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/geek-out-on-the-engineering-behind-the-mach-e.148/

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
Thanks. That is what I thought. Just two motors. All models get the same motor out back. The AWD models get a smaller motor up front. The GT gets the rear motor up front.....just like the Jaguar I-Pace, Polestar 2 etc.

Since the torque rating for the respective motors are the same across all models then the difference must be rpm in order to achieve the different hp figures.

Has Ford published top speeds for the model variants yet? I have been looking but can't find anything. My FFE max speed is 85 mph. The Mach E will certainly be allowed to go much faster I presume....

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Thanks. That is what I thought. Just two motors. All models get the same motor out back. The AWD models get a smaller motor up front. The GT gets the rear motor up front.....just like the Jaguar I-Pace, Polestar 2 etc.

Since the torque rating for the respective motors are the same across all models then the difference must be rpm in order to achieve the different hp figures.

Has Ford published top speeds for the model variants yet? I have been looking but can't find anything. My FFE max speed is 85 mph. The Mach E will certainly be allowed to go much faster I presume....
Original numbers were 124 MPH for the GT and 111 for the other trims (I think)

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong here (and link please) but ford has not announced the pricing for the GT performance edition correct? I've only seen the base MSRP without any added packages for the standard GT (which is 4 second 0-60 and 250 mile range)
You're correct, we can only make assumptions.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
However, Ford recently updated their technical specs to remove some features that were assumed to be standard (B&O sound system, memory seats, etc.)
Us GT owners will have to make our own fake engine sounds.....brmmmm brrmm brrm brmm rbmm ?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So your response to the point that a BEV with the soul of a Mustang shouldn't have the acceleration of a Chevy Bolt, Mercedes Class B, Nissan Leaf and be much slower than comparable Audi or Jaguar offerings is: but it's faster than Mustangs of the 60s and 70s?
;)
The Toyota RAV4 Prime will have a 0 to 60 of 5.7 seconds.

The Audi Q5 plug in hybrid will have a 0 to 60 of 5 seconds flat.

The Select, CA Rt. 1, and Premium MMEs are in danger of getting smoked by similarly priced or cheaper family cars that have no soul of a Mustang.

At least with a GT, the sub-4s 0-60 time will be relevant for a while yet.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
With a 90w battery, there is no reason the MachE AWD LR can't perform a 0-60 in low 5s. If Ford comes in at 5.5 seconds on the FE/Premium AWD LRs, they are purposefully throttling the performance speed. Just my non-scientific opinion based on what I can find about weight.

Model Y AWD LR weight = 4415.86lbs.
0=60 4.8 seconds

Ford MachE AWD LR weight = 4394lb
0-60=?

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
With a 90w battery, there is no reason the MachE AWD LR can't perform a 0-60 in low 5s. If Ford comes in at 5.5 seconds on the FE/Premium AWD LRs, they are purposefully throttling the performance speed. Just my non-scientific opinion based on what I can find about weight.

Model Y AWD LR weight = 4415.86lbs.
0=60 4.8 seconds

Ford MachE AWD LR weight = 4394lb
0-60=?
The MME AWD ER is actually about 5000lbs.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Us GT owners will have to make our own fake engine sounds.....brmmmm brrmm brrm brmm rbmm ?
Ford will still provide fake engine sounds. You just need to fill in for the missing subwoofer.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
;)
Just saying that the soul of a Mustang has not been consistently about acceleration...

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just saying that the soul of a Mustang has not been consistently about acceleration...
Just putting aside the much improved handling of today...historically, acceleration hasnt been stellar but I would say it's more true now than ever.

You've got base EcoBoost Mustangs doing 0-60 in 5.3s and with a couple of factory options, you can take the 4-banger to 60mph in 4.5 seconds. GT with the automatic is 3.8 seconds.

Dave Pericak and the Mustang team doesn't mess around.
Sponsored