2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/12/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-road-test/

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test | The Cayenne of Mustangs

Everyone wants to know about the name, but it's the car that really matters

James Riswick

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-front-three-quarter

The name and the badge are what everyone wants to talk about. I mean that literally, as every person who stopped me to talk about this Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD (and there were many) zeroed in on that mid-gallop horse and had some question or opinion about it. It wasn't all negative, either. Far from it. Ultimately, though, they'd want to know what it was like. The answer was simple: It's exceptional.

Of course, the Mach-E is hardly a simple thing. There's a dizzying array of drivetrain and battery combinations available, resulting in numerous ranges, power outputs and acceleration times. In general, opting for all-wheel drive brings more power and torque, but less range. The Extended Range battery (88 kWh of usable battery capacity versus 68 kWh) adds range as you might suspect, but also increases horsepower. That battery's availability also differs by trim level: unavailable on the base Select, optional on the Premium and standard on the California Route and First Edition models. The high-performance Mach-E GT adds further range and higher outputs, but it's still months away.

For now, the configuration we tested is the most powerful version available: the Premium AWD with the Extended Range battery that produces 346 horsepower and 428 pound-feet of torque. Ford says it'll hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds. It feels exactly that quick. All that instantaneous torque embeds your body firmly into the soft front seats as it gets the Mach-E up to speed with ease, but as the numbers in the very-Mustang "Ground Speed" indicator rise, it runs out of steam in a way indicative of a car whose horsepower number is so much smaller than its torque figure. Accelerating once at highway speeds is a treat – just toe the accelerator and the Mach-E shoots forward without gears to change or an engine to roar.

It isn't silent, however. Ford adds artificial noise that seems to emanate from roughly where you'd expect an exhaust would be. It's a deep rumbly sound, but it's not excessive nor a contrived copy of a V8's. In the Mach-E's normal driving mode, or "Engage" as it's officially known, the noise is only heard when you gun the motor. In the sport driving mode, or "Unbridled" as it's ridiculously known, it's more omnipresent. Basically, the Mach-E makes go-fast noises when you expect a car to make go-fast noises. It adds to the experience. I like it. If you don't, turn it off.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-drive-modes

As in many other electric cars, but not all, the Mach-E offers drivers the choice of one-pedal driving. Easily accessed with a press of a button in a touchscreen menu, it is one of the most aggressive regenerative braking applications I've experienced. It's also one of the best. Not only will the Mach-E come to a stop simply by easing off the throttle, it utilizes the Auto Hold function to stay stopped until you toe the throttle again. You quickly start to time the just-right moment for lifting off and by how much, which is curiously satisfying. The same thing happens when hustling along a mountain road – perfectly timing the throttle lift-off point adds a surprising amount of driver involvement.

You can still drive the old-fashioned way if you like, and more aggressive driving or emergency braking still requires a dedicated push of the left pedal. When doing so, you'll find a firm, reassuring pedal feel without any weirdness associated with transitioning from regenerative to mechanical braking. It feels totally normal. I certainly would've used it more under normal conditions on my drive route through northwest Oregon's mountain roads, but predictably damp pavement kept speeds prudent and usually within the capabilities of the regenerative system.

That said, the Mach-E could be hustled along quickly enough to reveal tightly controlled body motions and a firm, yet well-damped suspension that also managed to gobble up nasty pavement without harshness. Despite its crossoverbody and significant curb weight of around 4,800 pounds, it feels smaller and lower than the typical sporting crossover. The difference between the Mach-E and the morbidly obese Audi e-Tron Sportback is profound. The curvaceous hood rises at the corners with a hint of Infiniti FX50, making it easy to place in corners. The steering is precise and weighted comparably to a Mustang's, but response and feel do not equate. It feels more artificial and distant. If there's a dynamic area the Mustang Mach-E could be better aligned with Mustang O.G., it's this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-interior
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-speaker
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-door-trim

There's nothing remotely Mustangy about the interior apart from the horse on the wheel, which is just fine. Materials quality is far better than expected, both in terms of regular Mustang as well as Ford's recent disappointing efforts in the Escape and Explorer. Plastics are of a higher quality, and the dash and doors are mostly covered in a padded, leather-like surface that's similar to what you'd find in a Lincoln. The Premium also has a classy gray cloth trim across the dash.

Then there's the design. Slapping a 15.5-inch vertically oriented touchscreen and 10.2-inch letterbox widescreen instrument panel into a retro cabin would've looked ridiculous, like putting an Apple Watch on Big Ben. Instead, it's clean and modern, but with just enough traditional controls. That jumbo touchscreen is also one of the best examples of this growing trend. Rather than stuff as much as possible on the screen, it makes good use of the extra real estate by making buttons and displays bigger and more easily read at a quick glance. Having a separate instrument cluster is also appreciated, which is absolutely a reference to Tesla. Don't tell me the Model Y's reliance on one screen is anything other than a cost-saving move.

There didn't seem to be a way to change what is displayed in the instrument panel, however. A driver assistance icon is perpetually in the middle with the speed readout on the right. Considering the regular Mustang's customizable, multi-color gauges, not having design options seems like a missed opportunity (admittedly, little amber lines appear when in "Unbridled" mode). You can choose between light and dark modes for both screens, but I left both in dark – the "light" mode is blindingly white for a car interior.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-ip-black
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-ip-white
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-front-seats
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-ActiveX-upholstery

Ford's new ActiveX fake leather looks and feels like the real stuff, but the seats it covers disappoint. The driver seat annoyingly adjusts only six ways (there's no tilt-up for the front of the seat) and the seat itself is a bit too squishy with insufficient lateral support. In that way, the Mach-E is exactly like a regular Mustang! There are no Recaros available here as an upgrade, though. The back seat is also flat and doesn't recline, but space is sufficient for a 6-footer to sit behind himself and for an infant car seat to fit in the middle with the front seat fully rearward. As for the surprisingly spacious cargo area, check out our luggage test.

Regarding the electric range, we'll happily rely on the official EPA rating of 270 miles for the Mach-E with 88 kWh Extended Range battery and all-wheel drive. Much as with reporting as-tested mpg, my testing regimen is hardly indicative of normal driving conditions (or scientifically repeatable ones for the sake of comparison). Chilly temperatures reduced possible range by 4% according to the car, while my insistence on using the heater further reduced range by 10%. Driving "Unbridled" through the mountains sure didn't help, either. As a result, my calculated actual range was 220.6 miles after averaging 2.507 miles per kWh. That actually worked out to be more than the 204 miles the car estimated when setting off on my 136-mile journey.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-trip-readout
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test Review | The Cayenne of Mustangs [Autoblog] 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-at-charger

Thereafter, I mostly kept the battery topped up using a regular household plug, but as with all pluggable cars, a proper home charger is a must. I used one of the rare 150-kW fast chargers here in Portland, an Electrify America unit at a Fred Meyer grocery store, and was impressed by the ease in which the FordPass charging service made the process. I simply plugged in and the car automatically sent the account info to the charger – no need to scan a separate card or input information. The owner of an Audi e-Tron using the same station was impressed by this simplicity. The app also helps you keep tabs on the state of charge and find chargers in the FordPass network. Whether those chargers are actually open proved unreliable, but that's not Ford's fault.

Many will fault Ford for besmirching the good name Mustang, but they shouldn't. Besides that already happening long ago, I argue the decision to name it Mustang and then imbue it with just enough Mustangy flavor is a good one. Ford is a time-honored brand, but it’s not a sexy one. It quite simply does not have the brand equity necessary to get an electric car noticed in the places where electric cars are popular (cough, California). Mustang does. In fact, it has so much that it hasn’t worn a Ford badge in decades. You don’t have to know about cars to know about Mustang — it’s a car that’s been driven by Dan Gurney and my grandmother. With the Mustang name and flavor, Ford's electric crossover is more distinctive, more easily recognized and therefore more competitive against Tesla, whose cars are indisputably buoyed by the elephantine strength of its brand.

The car itself is better for it as well. Does it drive like a Mustang? No, but a Porsche Cayenne doesn’t drive exactly like a 911. Indeed, that is the best analogy for the Mustang Mach-E. Perhaps with time and updates, certain dynamic attributes – most hopefully the steering – will more closely resemble those of its namesake. In the meantime, however, much like the original Cayenne, the Mustang Mach-E has just enough in common with the regular Mustang in spirit to make it far more compelling than any Escape-looking Ford electric car with the same capabilities would've been.

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Agree with Stang68 - mine is still in reservation status and will not change for awhile (ordered GT) - article covers several items in a nice way - would have liked a little more about the charging experience at Electrify America - how long was the charge and how many miles per hour were added over the charging time? Still nice to know that the connection was apparently seamless. Wish I was along for the ride.

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Good review! Iconic Silver looks pretty good on the Mach-E. Either this, Rapid Red, Shadow Black, or Infinite Blue might be my favorite.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
A very good review, and I'm glad they had such a high impression of the car. I really want to see someone do a long-distance road trip with it. I'm somewhat surprised nobody's taken their long term loaner on a few days' drive while they had it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Has literally any review that mentioned steering mentioned that there are multiple steering settings in a "traditional" Mustang?

Seems like ignoring (or not knowing!) that invalidates the complaints.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Has literally any review that mentioned steering mentioned that there are multiple steering settings in a "traditional" Mustang?

Seems like ignoring (or not knowing!) that invalidates the complaints.
I don't remember seeing separate steering settings other than the drive modes in the manual.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't remember seeing separate steering settings other than the drive modes in the manual.
Not on the Mach-E. Traditional Mustangs.

In other words, when all these reviewers are saying "this doesn't steer like a real Mustang!", which of the three selectable "real Mustang" steering modes are they referring to? I've literally not seen a single person say, and without saying that, the comparison is meaningless.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not on the Mach-E. Traditional Mustangs.

In other words, when all these reviewers are saying "this doesn't steer like a real Mustang!", which of the three selectable "real Mustang" steering modes are they referring to? I've literally not seen a single person say, and without saying that, the comparison is meaningless.
ah, ok. now i see where you're going.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
A very good review, and I'm glad they had such a high impression of the car. I really want to see someone do a long-distance road trip with it. I'm somewhat surprised nobody's taken their long term loaner on a few days' drive while they had it.
I'll be taking my for some long trips when I get it. Scheduled build date 2/14. So it probably won't be until April. But I'll be sure to post here if no one else does it before then.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/12/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-road-test/

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Road Test | The Cayenne of Mustangs

I am quite concerned with the miles/kwh that the reviewer was getting. On my 2018 Bolt I frequently got up to 4.5 miles/kwh in the summer. On our Leaf SL Plus we typically get around 3.7 miles/kwh and that is in the winter. Summer driving was about 3.8 miles/kwh. I hope the bad efficiency is really just the reviewers hotdogging around in the car and that is not what we can expect for our own mileage.

OP
OP
Jim Glass

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know yet but from everything I read I expect to Mach E will on average return 3.5+/- miles per Kw/hr. Based on the 270 miles range with the extended battery using 68Kw the usage is 3.97 miles per Kw/hr. It's likely not as efficient as either your Bolt or Leaf. In part, it's likely due to being heavier and geared to be somewhat faster. Highway mileage runs less than 3 miles per Kw/hr at a steady 70 mph. But, since it can be updated OTA, it's quite possible that Ford can improve on this a bit. My numbers are just guesses from what I've read, so don't consider them factual. But suffice to say the Mach E's range will surpass your Leaf and Bolt.
Sponsored

Last edited: