RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I think he's saying that now that they lowered the price of the base Premium by $600 to $50,000, you can add the ER battery for $5000 and come in at exactly $55,000 and qualify for the rebate. No AWD though, or anything else extra.
I don't know anything about NJ rules. But I think what @timbop is saying that the law requires $54999.99 or below to qualify. If that is true, Ford should really get it fixed, just reduce it by 1 cent.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know anything about NJ rules. But I think what @timbop is saying that the law requires $54999.99 or below to qualify.
I wonder that at first too but this says $55,000 or less...

The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities offers state residents a rebate in the amount of $25 per mile of all-electric range, up to $5,000, to purchase or lease a new PEV with an MSRP of $55,000 or less.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/all?state=NJ

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I wonder that at first too but this says $55,000 or less...

The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities offers state residents a rebate in the amount of $25 per mile of all-electric range, up to $5,000, to purchase or lease a new PEV with an MSRP of $55,000 or less.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/all?state=NJ
Says

Have an MSRP* of less than $55,000

on the rebate program's official website https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/

Maybe Ford was mislead by the website you quoted when determining the MSRP.
Given the site you quoted is energy.gov, I wouldn't consider any one's fault if a Ford employer trusted it.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Says

Oh wow that sucks. That was just the first site that came up when I googled, so I didn't look further.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Says

Given the site you quoted is energy.gov, I wouldn't consider any one's fault if a Ford employer trusted it.
If a Ford employee is reading this, he/she should really flag it.

From a financial (higher margin on higher trim; potentially retaining a lost customer) and customer good will perspective, dropping MSRP by $1 across the board is clearly the right thing to do. Question is, how much bureaucracy will add delays to such a change.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Too bad Ford doesn't have a charger delete option that could save a few hundred dollars... On the fine print, they state that "such as electric vehicle charging packages" isn't typically part of MSRP. That said, they would also have to offer it to all states if they were to make any change.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Says

Yes, exactly. I don't understand why they do the normal "just under the next large whole number" pricing for the select and not the rest of the trims. Even if the wording was ambiguous, why not follow standard practice? Had they done that, we'd be golden here in the garden state.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The wording isn't ambiguous if you go to the actual regulation: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL19/362_.PDF

“Eligible vehicle” means a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle, with an MSRP of below $55,000, purchased or leased after the effective date of P.L.2019, c.362 (C.48:25-1 et al.) and registered in New Jersey.

Ford would have been much smarter to cut a dollar off some of their prices

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford would have been much smarter to cut a dollar off some of their prices
Perhaps, but I'd put just as much of the blame on the lawmakers that failed to write it as "up to $55,000". I can't really expect Ford to set national prices based on what could be as many as 50 different state tax laws.

Selective tax laws aside, I like when automakers dispense with the "999" pricing and just use nice round numbers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Perhaps, but I'd put just as much of the blame on the lawmakers that failed to write it as "up to $55,000". I can't really expect Ford to set national prices based on what could be as many as 50 different state tax laws.
I can. We've already seen lots of cases of Ford doing exactly that both with US prices and those overseas. That's why they have a marketing department.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can. We've already seen lots of cases of Ford doing exactly that both with US prices and those overseas. That's why they have a marketing department.
Those are all separate countries in Europe though. To the best of my knowledge, Ford sets a national price in the US, not separate state prices.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Those are all separate countries in Europe though. To the best of my knowledge, Ford sets a national price in the US, not separate state prices.
If Ford isn't taking into account that a price of $55,000 vs $54,995 is going to significantly affect sales in any given state, someone there is not doing their job and should find something else to do.
So, yes, I expect any sophisticated company to track and understand critical pricing thresholds throughout the States. That's basic price-to-win or price-to-sell analysis.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I think the problem is that some NJ Premium customers will not choose ER option as it pushes them over the cap. You can hit it exactly with a RWD ER Premium, but can’t choose any of the Optional colors that cost extra.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think the problem is that some NJ Premium customers will not choose ER option as it pushes them over the cap. You can hit it exactly with a RWD ER Premium, but can’t choose any of the Optional colors that cost extra.
As illustrated above by Mark (chasingcoral) that $55,000 is exactly the lowest price that is NOT eligible for the $5000. Regardless of color choice, if you get an ER premium you won't get $5000 from NJ

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
So, some interesting price drops. For My FE it looks like:

$52,700 base
$ 6,600 FE Equipment Group
$59,300 Total

That's $600 cheaper than originally listed. What that means is I could switch to Rapid Red for $400 and still stay under the $60,000 limit for the Maryland EV tax incentive. So, Rapid Red is back on the table.

There's also the $1,100 Destination and Delivery but that didn't change and doesn't count against the $60K limit. I know there are other states with $60K limits, so this will help quite a few folks. Doesn't work for NJ, though. Sorry folks ?
Assuming Maryland extends the EV Credit... please please please
Sponsored