guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
it’s funny because I feel the exact opposite. I wasn’t so sure when they first revealed it, but I have only gotten more and more excited since then. However, there is a good chance I am going to lease which will negate deprecation worries and means that I will be close to time for me to trade in when my bumper to bumper warranty is up. I don’t drive on road trips much so don’t really have Range anxiety, and the 22 mph home charging will be more than enough for me. My local power company has a variable pricing model which means electricity is cheaper at night, when I will be doing most of my charging.

I know everyone is in different situations, but I for one am pretty stoked!
I agree with all that you say.

I want to add that, while I can't predict the future, the amount of future depreciation is not known at this point.

It is possible that the future will be different than the present, and that as society begins to realize how important, useful, and fun that EVs are, their collective desire for them will drive used prices up, and even drive down the prices of used ICE vehicles, relatively speaking.

So not buying the newest, slickest EV today because you are afraid that it will lose value quickly might not be the best reason. That could happen, sure, but it might not. I don't know, and no one else does either. It is always dangerous to assume that present trends will continue into the future, especially in what is clearly a rapidly changing situation.

However, you do know that right now--today!--you can have one of the slickest cars ever built by humankind. That has to count for something...?
Sponsored

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Those cars MSRP at a little better than $40K. Yes, the Mach-e is a better car and the base model is going to kill the Bolt. Chevy is going to have to reduce the price or just stop selling it. They have one more year for the Bolt then I don't understand why anyone would buy one asside from it being two feet shorter.
The new Bolt will reportedly have Supercruise, which will help.

But I agree, basically, since the 50 kw fast-charge rate and 63 kwhr battery are both fundamental barriers to big growth in sales.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Went to the Las Vegas Road Show today, they had 2 vehicles in static display.

No appointment. Just went for an investors perspective. Over 20 people waiting for the tour.

1) Very surprised that the Mach-E is noticeably bigger than it looks in all the pictures that my wife and I have seen on-line.

2) Whatever they used on the body to shine it up like that, I want some. The finish looked perfect and mirror-like. Even my wife noticed it.

3) I watched some big guy get out of the drivers seat and then sit in the back seat, no adjustment. Asked how it was in the back, he was surprised that it was still roomy.

4) When I told the wife that I was going to this show, she wanted to go also, just to get out of the house. She is perfectly happy with her '17 Edge Titanium.

5) Now she had me ask a salesman when they were going to be in stock. Supposedly by January.

6) She was really impressed, saying "That is going to be a hit".

7) So we left our number. And I'm going to buy more F.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
5) Now she had me ask a salesman when they were going to be in stock. Supposedly by January.
By January the earliest reservation holders will start to get delivery of their cars. I'm not sure dealers will have any "in stock" in 2021. The only options to buy them from the dealer without special orders will likely be cars people ordered and don't buy and dealer demos. Both may fetch a hefty ADM because demand will be so high.

If you are lucky they will be in stock in January 2022.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
By January the earliest reservation holders will start to get delivery of their cars. I'm not sure dealers will have any "in stock" in 2021. The only options to buy them from the dealer without special orders will likely be cars people ordered and don't buy and dealer demos. Both may fetch a hefty ADM because demand will be so high.

If you are lucky they will be in stock in January 2022.
Do we really think there’s that much demand? I had a dealer tell me he’s not marking up and expects normal stock in January.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Do we really think there’s that much demand? I had a dealer tell me he’s not marking up and expects normal stock in January.
My car isn't scheduled to be built until mid February. I doubt dealers will have stock before orders are filled.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I don't know. In our area you can't get a Model 3 from stock and there are bunches of Tesla vehicles on the road here. I imagine with the great reviews and better build quality buyers may just click on MachE instead of Model 3 or even Y, $7500 back is pretty nice.

Once MachE hits the street I think orders may well be on pace with production.

Bought some F a few months back, up 26% last I checked.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Yes.

Sure and there were dealers saying cars would be delivered in September, too.
I don’t know, don’t forget to look outside the echo chamber. There’s definitely demand because it’s a great looking vehicle with favorable early reviews, but people like to literally kick the tires before plunking down the cash.

Last edited:

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
It's a low production car and there really aren't that many good options for electric vehicles, particularly performance oriented and/or non-Tesla ones, in the US. It will sell out.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don’t know, don’t forget to look outside the echo chamber. There’s definitely demand because it’s a great looking vehicle with favorite early reviews, but people like to literally kick the tires before plunking down the cash.
100% of the 2021 model MME’s are via special order, both in North America and the EU. There is also a rather limited supply. So if people want to pick a car off the lot, they’re not going to have the opportunity this year except in the rare instances where an ordered Mach-e was delivered to the dealer for a customer who changed their mind and refuses delivery. While everyone has the ability to refuse the vehicle, not many will do so.

The other option is to buy one of the FCTP (demo) vehicles when those become available. Keep in mind that not all Ford dealers can sell the MME, and of those that can, not all ordered an FCTP vehicle. That further limits supply.

The result of both these limited additional vehicles will likely be significant ADM.

Demand far exceeds the originally slated allocation for North America. While I understand the reluctance to order a vehicle someone can’t see or drive, the alternative is to wait until 2022 or beyond.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
100% of the 2021 model MME’s are via special order, both in North America and the EU. There is also a rather limited supply. So if people want to pick a car off the lot, they’re not going to have the opportunity this year except in the rare instances where an ordered Mach-e was delivered to the dealer for a customer who changed their mind and refuses delivery. Everyone has the ability to rescues the vehicle, a few will do do but not many.

The other option is to buy one of the FCTP (demo) vehicles when those become available. Keep in mind that not all Ford dealers can sell the MME, and of those that can, not all ordered an FCTP vehicle. That further limits supply.

The result of both these limited additional vehicles will likely be significant ADM.

Demand far exceeds the originally slated allocation for North America. While I understand the reluctance to order a vehicle someone can’t see or drive, the alternative is to wait until 2022 or beyond.
Being a late adopter I would love to get a some inside stats on orders and build dates. I imagine orders are trending up at the moment or will soon be.

Looking at the stats here October orders are being build in February and March, so one could hope late December could be before June.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don’t know, don’t forget to look outside the echo chamber. There’s definitely demand because it’s a great looking vehicle with favorable early reviews, but people like to literally kick the tires before plunking down the cash.
There’sa big difference between an echo chamber and the information we have from Ford and Ford insiders. I realize you just got here yesterday but there’s a wealth of information in this forum that goes into what we are telling you
1) Ford said they were only producing 50,000 in MY 2021 and more than half go to the EU/UK. For may be able to exceed 50k but battery supply will limit them.
2) Inside information from Ford provided her shows demand far in excess of 50K cars.
3) Dealers are only allowed to order one FCTP (demo) car. Some dealers may be able to acquire an additional one.
4) Some orders placed in September are being given late February build dates. Many on this forum don’t even have build dates yet.

Do you really believe Ford is going to have dealer stock on the lots months before they fulfill long-standing orders?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Being a late adopter I would love to get a some inside stats on orders and build dates. I imagine orders are trending up at the moment or will soon be.

Looking at the stats here October orders are being build in February and March, so one could hope late December could be before June.
Production dates are not entirely based upon order date. Orders for Hawaii, for example, are being scheduled for the last week in January and into February including those who had November 2019 reservations and first day possible orders. There’s no guarantee a December 2020 order would arrive in June. Certainly well within the realm of possibility though I think.

SARS-COV-2 may have other plans as well unfortunately.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
One more thing to keep in mind - Except in a few geographic locations (say like in L.A or Bay area etc) most dealers only have few customer orders placed (with no dealer stock available yet). So most likely most dealers will not even have much options like a canceled order. With most of dealers getting only one FCTP vehicle - that is about like 2000 ish FCTP vehicles available for sale in the USA after a few months and say at most another 1000 or so canceled orders. That is not a lot of inventory for MY2021.

Better to place the order and at least the process begins and one can always decide against it if they dont like it.
Sponsored