Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sounds like it varies by state?
Maybe not. NHTSA sets most of the safety like standards in the USA. I’m too tired to start researching trunk safety rules tonight either. I’ll wait until someone at Ford tells us if we’ve “won” the divider lottery.

EU/UK rules? Canada?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
The BLIS does not beep just flashes when a vehicle is detected and turn signal is on - would have preferred audio beep as well.

Has anyone figured out if the power side mirrors can automatically close when the vehicle is locked? Looks like the button only power folds them on demand - cant see anywhere if there is a setting to fold mirrors automatically when we lock and walkaway

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just a guess, but maybe the dividers are needed until an OTA update resolves the quirks that are preventing the emergency eject button from working.
I wonder how the electric unlatch mechanism works? I assume it is electrically isolated from the rest of the car because the emergency leads are simply tucked away behind the secret door in the front bumper without any method to avoid short circuit. So those leads must run directly to the latch and nowhere else.

That begs the question...."Is there a second latch that the on board modules can activate? "

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The BLIS does not beep just flashes when a vehicle is detected and turn signal is on - would have preferred audio beep as well.

Has anyone figured out if the power side mirrors can automatically close when the vehicle is locked? Looks like the button only power folds them on demand - cant see anywhere if there is a setting to fold mirrors automatically when we lock and walkaway
I believe the mirrors folded when we locked the car.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I wonder how the electric unlatch mechanism works? I assume it is electrically isolated from the rest of the car because the emergency leads are simply tucked away behind the secret door in the front bumper without any method to avoid short circuit. So those leads must run directly to the latch and nowhere else.

That begs the question...."Is there a second latch that the on board modules can activate? "
Could it be one latch releaser that is electrically connected in parallel to two power sources? Something like this:

Circuit to open frunk using front bumper jumper leads:
front lead -> diode (1) -> NO switch (2) -> latch releaser -> other front lead

Circuit to open frunk any other electronic way:
normal 12V supply -> body control module (BCM) requests unlatch to occur -> another diode (3) -> latch releaser -> normal 12V supply

I'm not a EE. Sorry if this question makes no sense. :)

This is my first post with footnotes. I only attempt to honor the great @GoGoGadgetMachE with my feeble accomplishment here.

(1) prevent normal 12V loop from mixing with jumper leads; not sure if 'diode' is correct word, but I'd want something that blocks current in one direction

(2) normally open switch is held closed while 12V battery voltage is sufficient; switch opens when 12V battery voltage too low or disconnected -- this way the frunk can't be opened unless car's BCM isn't functioning (e.g. due to low power)

(3) prevent front bumper jumper 12V from reaching vehicle's normal 12V supply

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Could it be one latch releaser that is electrically connected in parallel to two power sources? Something like this:

Circuit to open frunk using front bumper jumper leads:
front lead -> diode (1) -> NO switch (2) -> latch releaser -> other front lead

Circuit to open frunk any other electronic way:
normal 12V supply -> body control module (BCM) requests unlatch to occur -> another diode (3) -> latch releaser -> normal 12V supply

I'm not a EE. Sorry if this question makes no sense. :)

This is my first post with footnotes. I only attempt to honor the great @GoGoGadgetMachE with my feeble accomplishment here.

(1) prevent normal 12V loop from mixing with jumper leads; not sure if 'diode' is correct word, but I'd want something that blocks current in one direction

(2) normally open switch is held closed while 12V battery voltage is sufficient; switch opens when 12V battery voltage too low or disconnected -- this way the frunk can't be opened unless car's BCM isn't functioning (e.g. due to low power)

(3) prevent front bumper jumper 12V from reaching vehicle's normal 12V supply
Well thankfully, the owners manual shows in detail how to remove the front compartment filler panels so that will be the first thing that happens when I get the car home.

I would try a double acting mechanism with a solenoid on either end. One solenoid is powered by those two leads behind the secret door and the other solenoid is powered by the car. Electrically separate from one another. That should work I think....???

HVH

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E RWD STD RANGE
Country flag
Thanks a lot for finding this, 439 pages to read :)

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
this is going to be a popular thread :)
I am still reading the manual - some of the terms are not consistently used or are confusing.

This may be a silly question but the manual refers to remote (the key fob i think), phone as key (i get that) and passive key. What is the passive key? there are mentions of it in a few places but cant figure out what this refers to ..an electronic back up? or something else..

Lot more to read yet

Edgar

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-max electric, Mach-e RWD Grey carbonized
Country flag
Great thanks! now the Mustang Mach-E

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
- Transmission Fluid At 10 years or 150,000 mi
- Coolant At 200,000 mi
I wonder if those will go away once Ford collects more data on long term fluid degradation in the Mach-e... Tesla used to have those listed as well, but long term data showed that due to lower operating temperatures compared to ICE vehicles, those fluids just weren't deteriorating. So now those fluid changes are no longer part of the maintenance schedule.

• Wow
Reactions: Nav

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
This may be a silly question but the manual refers to remote (the key fob i think), phone as key (i get that) and passive key. What is the passive key? there are mentions of it in a few places but cant figure out what this refers to ..an electronic back up? or something else..
Not silly at all, actually a great question. I'm guessing that the "passive" key is something that has a chip embedded in it that requires no power to operate. Tesla embeds their chip in what looks like a credit card. You keep it in your wallet as a backup in case your phone battery dies. Some people remove the chip from the credit card and embed it in a ring. You can buy these rings on amazon. One woman actually had the chip inserted under her skin!

Edited to add: I found it in the manual. The key fob has a chip in it that can be used in the event the key fob battery dies. Search the manual for "passive"

Last edited: